Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1/600 Minairons Spanish Galleon for upcoming "Oak & Iron"  (Read 2140 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
1/600 Minairons Spanish Galleon for upcoming "Oak & Iron"
« on: October 26, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »
Minairons Early Galleon model in 1/600 modelled as a Spanish Treasure Ship.

Resin hull with white metal masts, sails and accessories, on a 100x44mm base for the upcoming "Oak & Iron" game from Firelock Games.

Well detailed wargame model. The resin cast hull was very clean without any air bubbles or missing detail. Sails and accessories are well done as are the masts, but the metal used is far too soft and pliable. Great for the sails but the masts give real problems with rigidity when trying to fix rope lines (which at this scale are obligatory), hence the baggy appearance of some of my running rigging.
Rigging here is done with 3 different thicknesses of monofilament nylon thread and the ratlines are trimmed from nylon insect netting. Base is painted and varnished "papier-mâché".

The Minairons model is pretty good value for it's €16 and would make a very good wargame model if the mast issue is sorted out. She is not as finely detailed as the smaller 1/1200 Rod Langton offerings, (which are a class above anything else anyway), but compares favourably  with the Peter Pig range and the old Airfix/Heller plastic kits. Hopefully the Firelock "Oak & Iron" ships are similarly sized and as well detailed.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
Re: 1/600 Minairons Spanish Galleon for upcoming "Oak & Iron"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 02:19:53 PM »
Thanx for the review and the pix of the sample model. Very well executed.

I often improve the strength and rigidity of cast alloy lances and flag staffs by coating them with a thin layer of two-part epoxy glue. It increases the thickness of the piece and might obscure cast detail, but makes them much more durable. I wonder whether that technique would help with the masts and yards of these models?
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »
I wonder whether that technique would help with the masts and yards of these models?

Replacing them with brass rod.  :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:47:09 PM »
I wonder whether that technique would help with the masts and yards of these models?

Replacing them with brass rod.  :)

Yes, I think so.  Unlike the later ships the Galleon does not have stepped masts, just single straight poles so replacement with a harder metal will work fine.
It is a shame as the actual model is well thought out and construction is very straightforward, just needs a change in alloy for the white metal pieces and it would be great without any replacement needed.