Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TAG Dutch  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
TAG Dutch
« on: October 26, 2018, 05:29:16 PM »
This is old news, but I see that TAG has posted pics on its website of some Dutch figures for the early part of the 80 Years War - sea beggars and militia.

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
Re: TAG Dutch
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 08:23:34 PM »
It's the Demilancers that i am waiting on. They will finish off the Tudor English nicely.

Pinkie anyone?  :)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:19:46 PM »
Sea Beggars figures should prove very useful for many "armed civilians" of  Northwestern Europe in the 1560's - 70"s period. 

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
Personally, I think the Dutch Revolt is a fascinating conflict, and I am a bit surprised that there haven't been more bespoke figures over the years.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »
I certainly agree with you about the attraction of the Dutch Revolt.  It allows for tremendous scope of action in a "bathtub" environment .  Provides for games based on sieges, ambushes and forays, major field actions, amphibious actions, etc.  The range of combatants - Dutch militia, increasingly professional Dutch troops, Flemish loyalists (it was also a Civil War), Spanish and Italian tercios, German Landsknecht and Schwarz Reiters (both Imperial and Protestant), allied English (you can use your Elizabethans), French Huguenots - is vast.   It was a period of great military experimentation, as the commanders worked out the best ratios between pike and shot, how to use varying types of firearms-equipped cavalry (even while lancers were still being used, albeit in lessening numbers). 

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »
If TAG bring out a decently sized range, including Spanish, then when combined with the Warlord Wars of Religion Spanish and the Foundry Seadogs and Swashbucklers there should be potential for some really interesting scenarios. 

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 04:49:33 PM »
Pete Brown says the Spanish should be out by July/August 2019 (the dollies were previewed on the TAG site some months ago already). In the meantime, Nick Collier will do more early war Dutch and then proceed to the 1590-1608 Dutch army. 

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 05:35:48 PM »
Sea Beggars figures should prove very useful for many "armed civilians" of  Northwestern Europe in the 1560's - 70"s period.

The clothing on many of the sea beggar figures looks like styles usually associated with sailors of various European nations in the period - especially the trousers (and maybe some of the headgear). So for use as landlubbers they might be best mixed with other figures.

But for a harbourside skirmish the three packs would give a nice little crew. But who would form the opposition for them?

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »
Perhaps some Foundry Seadogs or some Eureka Portuguese?

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 06:40:38 PM »
Opposition could just as easily be "townies" objecting to a dockside brawl (which would increase the number of potential adversaries).  Furthermore, the sailors could be freebooters looking to raid a seaside village; or Europeans ready to engage North African raiders ship to ship.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »
Actually, if you want Spanish opposition, it sounds like TAG will oblige in due course.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
Pete Brown says the Spanish should be out by July/August 2019 (the dollies were previewed on the TAG site some months ago already). In the meantime, Nick Collier will do more early war Dutch and then proceed to the 1590-1608 Dutch army.

personally I would like to see some Spanish and French too

cheers
Matt

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »
Perhaps some Foundry Seadogs or some Eureka Portuguese?

Foundry Sea Dogs are quite characterful figures, but I am not sure I would like to place them on table too close to the TAG figures - there is quite a big stylistical difference in my eye.

Then again, they are very characterful figures, so maybe I could try to ignore the style differences.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 02:26:40 PM »
Furthermore, the sailors could be freebooters looking to raid a seaside village; or Europeans ready to engage North African raiders ship to ship.

Speaking of freebooters, the sea beggars could also work for English or Dutch privateers that found their way to the West Indies from the 1570's onwards.

A band of 12 figures with a boat could for example represent a small landing party from a large ship, sent to investigate an island. Once on the land they might meet renegade Cimaroons, a band of Caribs, a Spanish patrol or maybe even the odd dinosaur (Lost World -scenario).

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 08:48:10 PM »
And they could be exploring South America - where Eureka's Tupi (a few of whom have matchlocks) and/or Copplestone's Tupi can provide the "welcoming committee."