Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:48:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Republican Roman Cavalry Figure Size  (Read 14988 times)

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: Victrix Republican Roman Cavalry Figure Size
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 09:05:28 PM »
This issue isn’t the end of the world. Luckily Roman armies don’t need much in the way of cavalry anyway. A sensibly sized army will include 2 or 3 units at most. If you want more then you are going to be looking at allied Numidians, Greeks or Spanish. For just a few units the price difference with metals will make less of a difference. There are plenty of choices in 28mm metal Romans that will work well with Victrix infantry. As usual it is a case of looking at all the options and not getting hysterical about what is and isn’t possible to get in plastic.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 09:55:44 PM »
Good question.  Didn't have an easy way to compare so went and built up a couple.  It looks like the riders are larger than the guys on foot.  It's a bit hard to tell because the riders are seated.  The riders are certainly bulkier, but they are all wearing mail.   The horses are really big.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2018, 10:26:04 PM »
Are the Victrix Gaul cavalry significantly larger than Victrix Gaul infantry?

No the Gallic cavalry fit in well with the foot figures.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 10:52:03 PM »
This issue isn’t the end of the world. Luckily Roman armies don’t need much in the way of cavalry anyway. A sensibly sized army will include 2 or 3 units at most. If you want more then you are going to be looking at allied Numidians, Greeks or Spanish. For just a few units the price difference with metals will make less of a difference. There are plenty of choices in 28mm metal Romans that will work well with Victrix infantry. As usual it is a case of looking at all the options and not getting hysterical about what is and isn’t possible to get in plastic.

No, not the end of the world.  Personally I always felt Roman Cavalry were not that great at their jobs so I've always gone for Celtic or Numidian cavalry for the bulk of my collection.   But if you like collecting miniatures from multiple company's like I do, it seems Victrix is creeping off into their own world of beyond 28mm historical. 

As I have said, I love the Infantry Victrix makes.. but I think I'll avoid their Cavalry.  Curious to see if their dark age infantry creeps up along with their oversized cavalry.

Are the Victrix Gaul cavalry significantly larger than Victrix Gaul infantry?

No the Gallic cavalry fit in well with the foot figures.

My blog has a few shots of the Victrix Cavalry from both Republican and Gallic sets. I don't have any Victrix celtic infantry since I want to stick with Warlord's, but the cavalry from the previously mentioned two sets are of the same ilk- quite big. 

If you do exclusively Victrix miniatures in your army there will be no issue. Don't bring in any Warlord Gauls or Warlord Gallic cavalry alongside Victrix if the oversize worries you!  Otherwise, Victrix still makes great models with good details.  Just have to be careful if the size differences bothers you.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 04:53:30 AM »

As I have said, I love the Infantry Victrix makes.. but I think I'll avoid their Cavalry.  Curious to see if their dark age infantry creeps up along with their oversized cavalry.

Should certainly show us if this is a policy or just a cock up....

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
Do they have the same issues with their Macedonian or Greek cavalry or is this just an outlier?
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 07:00:01 PM »
Do they have the same issues with their Macedonian or Greek cavalry or is this just an outlier?

Their greek light cavalry match the other cavalry and fit well with their foot.  I don't own any of the heavy cavalry to check.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »
The Greek heavy cavalry I own do not seem to have a Shetland pony . The proportions from horse to rider are a bit better.
They are however also huge compared to the numidian cavalry

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 06:15:17 AM »
The last thing I want to be in controversial but how large a people were the ancient Numidians? There are often stark differences between peoples even today. I've spent quite a bit of time working in Asia Minor and South East Asia and the Pacific and the averages in size between peoples is significant and rather obvious.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 06:32:06 AM »
No, not the end of the world.  Personally I always felt Roman Cavalry were not that great at their jobs

For goodness sake, don't say that to Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North

.....because he just might chop your bollocks off  :o

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 10:25:16 AM »
The last thing I want to be in controversial but how large a people were the ancient Numidians? There are often stark differences between peoples even today. I've spent quite a bit of time working in Asia Minor and South East Asia and the Pacific and the averages in size between peoples is significant and rather obvious.

Well, they were Berbers, just like the people who live in Algeria & Tunisia now. Average height for modern North Africans is 1.72m, compared with 1.77m in the UK

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
Victrix mentioned this post on their FB site in some comments on their new EIR cavalry (which look spectacular by the way). The comment is that the Numidians are the size they are by design rather than scale creep, so whether or not you agree with the premise that they were small and rode ponies, if you buy their comment it’s not a quality control issue at least.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 03:36:35 PM »

I'm not concerned that the Numidians are small, it's that the other cav is just too big.  If all the cav is the same size as the Gallic cav (the only Victrix cav I have), I'll not be getting any of it.  It towers above the rest of ancients I own - and are extremely wide too.  The infantry are not that way - they are taller than some of the other mfrrs I have, but they look like they are the same scale.  The cav looks like it's in a different scale.....

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 06:22:26 PM »
Wouldn’t be the first time a manufacturer did a custom scale so you’re forced to buy their minis and theirs alone. It’s better business for them if you buy only their manufacture.

Offline Duncan Head

• Student
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »
The last thing I want to be in controversial but how large a people were the ancient Numidians?

Quote from: Livy 35.11
The Numidians mounted their horses and began to ride towards the enemy's outposts without showing any aggressiveness. Nothing could at first sight look more contemptible than the appearance they presented; horses and men were alike thin and diminutive...

So they should probably be a bit smaller than the Romans - maybe not quite this much, though.