Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:58:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Republican Roman Cavalry Figure Size  (Read 15064 times)

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Re: Victrix Republican Roman Cavalry Figure Size
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2018, 12:50:44 AM »
Well, they were Berbers, just like the people who live in Algeria & Tunisia now. Average height for modern North Africans is 1.72m, compared with 1.77m in the UK
So they should probably be a bit smaller than the Romans - maybe not quite this much, though.
Didn't the UK go through the earliest growth spurts thanks to the industrialisation and animal husbandry? Not sure if that's accurate but that's what I learnt in High school history, anyways.

Humans come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, this is true. But a whole unit of dwarves next to a unit full of ogres looks quite fantasy like.  Not to say that that could not happen.   If you found a certain group of people that are small and put them alongside a group of people that are naturally taller, you'd notice.

But in the miniature world there's just something screwy looking about it . . . especially since that horse is so tiny looking under the Roman!  I guess some of us except a bit of conformity , or close to conformity when we collect minis.

Wouldn’t be the first time a manufacturer did a custom scale so you’re forced to buy their minis and theirs alone. It’s better business for them if you buy only their manufacture.

True to that - though I think the screw up is more so their numidian is weird compare to the rest of the cavalrymen...

I'm not concerned that the Numidians are small, it's that the other cav is just too big.  If all the cav is the same size as the Gallic cav (the only Victrix cav I have), I'll not be getting any of it.  It towers above the rest of ancients I own - and are extremely wide too.  The infantry are not that way - they are taller than some of the other mfrrs I have, but they look like they are the same scale.  The cav looks like it's in a different scale.....

Same.  I have the Greek and Iberian Cavalry from Victrix and I think I'll be throwing them on eBay.  To my eyes they don't match alongside even Victrix's own infantry.  Too tall, too wide, and the riders are bigger than the infantry.  I've put the rider's heads and bodies next to the foot infantry and they're slightly bigger... just creeping out of 28mm!    Victrix has mentioned that they built their horses "Small" but honestly, they look more like chargers from the medieval times to me.  I even think Wargames Factory did their celt horses better for height and sizes, and those are some pretty wonky looking ponies! 

Victrix mentioned this post on their FB site in some comments on their new EIR cavalry (which look spectacular by the way). The comment is that the Numidians are the size they are by design rather than scale creep, so whether or not you agree with the premise that they were small and rode ponies, if you buy their comment it’s not a quality control issue at least

Ah, not sure if I buy it.   Which cavalry set was made first.. Iberians or Numidians?

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2018, 01:59:43 AM »
I am also skeptical about the claim that the Victrix Numidian cavalry were purposefully designed to be that much smaller than other types of ancient cavalry.  If you compare the Numidian and the Roman rider, (see picture at the start of this thread) they look very different in size.  I doubt that the historic Numidians were 3 or 4 feet tall.  To me, the issue seems to be more with the riders than the horses.  Something is off here.

It looks like Victrix ancient cavalry figures have been gradually increasing in size and have now reached the point where they are outlandishly large compared to some of their other ancient figures, particularly the infantry which I really like.  The Numidian cavalry are small (that's fine), the Spanish cavalry are somewhat larger (that's OK too) but the new Republican Romans cavalry have grown too large.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
I am also skeptical about the claim that the Victrix Numidian cavalry were purposefully designed to be that much smaller than other types of ancient cavalry.  If you compare the Numidian and the Roman rider, (see picture at the start of this thread) they look very different in size.  I doubt that the historic Numidians were 3 or 4 feet tall.  To me, the issue seems to be more with the riders than the horses.  Something is off here.

It looks like Victrix ancient cavalry figures have been gradually increasing in size and have now reached the point where they are outlandishly large compared to some of their other ancient figures, particularly the infantry which I really like.  The Numidian cavalry are small (that's fine), the Spanish cavalry are somewhat larger (that's OK too) but the new Republican Romans cavalry have grown too large.

Ah, that's progress for you.  The more civilised nations have a better nutrition and healthcare schemes so people grow bigger :D

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2018, 10:13:32 PM »
The argument that it was done on purpose doesn't exactly hold up if it's not also true for the respective infantry versions. Unless the Numidian cavalry consisted only of children.

Wouldn’t be the first time a manufacturer did a custom scale so you’re forced to buy their minis and theirs alone. It’s better business for them if you buy only their manufacture.
Unless it results in not purchasing their incompatible products at all...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 03:50:56 AM »
Ah, that's progress for you.  The more civilised nations have a better nutrition and healthcare schemes so people grow bigger

That doesn't make much sense. Gauls and Germans were not "civilised" and the Greeks and Romans stereotype about the Celts is that they were always taller than most Romans or Greeks! 

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2018, 04:38:37 AM »
I think the comment about growing was a joke.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2018, 05:16:34 AM »
I think the comment about growing was a joke.

Oh boy.  I see it now.  Feel silly for not even catching the wording hahaha