Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:23:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Setting the East Ablaze Unit/Action Cards  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Setting the East Ablaze Unit/Action Cards
« on: October 28, 2018, 09:38:13 AM »
Good morning gents,

Having done a search on the forum, I appreciate the question has been posed previously, however, things may have moved on since the last discussion.

Has anyone produced a set of unit/action cards for Setting the East Ablaze that can be printed off and used in plastic card sleeves?

Cheers,
Gareth

Offline madman

• Scientist
Re: Setting the East Ablaze Unit/Action Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »
I am thinking the same thing. I have a bunch of "standard" sleeves and was just going to change the scale when I print them out. I think with the original ones I had to adjust to about 90% so not too small to make them harder to use.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 12:48:17 PM »
I don't think it would be too difficult to acheive, but being the lazy Welsh git I am, I'd rather plagiarize if possible.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
My lazy(ish) option is self-adhesive labels on standard playing cards.  If you write the unit details on in pencil you can change them to fit the units for specific scenarios.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 01:27:01 PM »
I just use ivory board cards and a black sharpie.  If I could be organised it would be worth keeping the ‘standard’ unit types.  But I never can be bothered.....
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »
I'd happily pay for a set of cards with standard unit types printed on them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 04:37:44 PM by Lord Raglan »

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »
You can buy blank playing cards. Either blank one or both sides. The one side blank are sold by companies selling playing cards like bicycle who print their standard imagery one the one side. In order to print your own requires a laser printer, inkjet seems to react poorly with the coatings these cards have, which is what I have found using an inkjet on glossy paper.

They appear to work well with pens, pencils and markers and some allow erasing with white board (dry erase) type markers.

Problem is the card designs are many up on a sheet as opposed to one at a time. Best idea would be take the files to a local big box office supply store and have them print them on either glossy photo paper or heavy card stock. Then cut them out with scissors. Only down side is they are not back printed. Or print additional sheets with a common design and either sleeve them together or glue. This is if you need some reason for making the backs opaque. The only reason I could see is if you used some kind of random card draw for forces.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »
I have some blank sided playing cards which are russian themed on the opposite side, but I would still like a dedicated set, as I think it would add a further level of flavour to the game.

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
We've done it another way. I write the unit number on a OB list for each player, and we use poker chips with the number on them, drawn from a bag. That way, you don't have to keep doing cards for each scenario; the chips are reusable. Whereas you always do new OBs for each scenario, so just assign a unit number to them instead, and all the info is in the printed OBs for each player.

Also, another (and the main) reason for this, is that you don't have to reshuffle cards. Just put the chips in a bag, and draw them accordingly.

It works, especially for games with lots of units, but as they say, "your mileage may vary".  ;)

Since we used the chips method for Sharpe Practice, and it worked fast, that's why we transferred it to STEA.