Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:20:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: War of the Wolf  (Read 9099 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
War of the Wolf
« on: October 28, 2018, 12:56:15 PM »
Just read the latest novel in Bernard Cornwall’s Uhtred Saxon series. As usual it was another compulsive read albeit a similar formula to some of the other novels.

As the Uhtred character is in his early sixties now I just thought is it pushing it having him at that age standing in the shield wall and engaging in single combat with younger men?

It is looking as though Mr Cornwall could conclude the series at the battle of Brunanburh - the Leipzig of the Dark Ages, although by this time the Uhtred character will be in his eighties presumably just giving sage like advice to his protégés Athelstan or maybe just taking the role of narrator.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: War of the Wolf
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 06:01:39 PM »
Just read the latest novel in Bernard Cornwall’s Uhtred Saxon series. As usual it was another compulsive read albeit a similar formula to some of the other novels.

As the Uhtred character is in his early sixties now I just thought is it pushing it having him at that age standing in the shield wall and engaging in single combat with younger men?

It is looking as though Mr Cornwall could conclude the series at the battle of Brunanburh - the Leipzig of the Dark Ages, although by this time the Uhtred character will be in his eighties presumably just giving sage like advice to his protégés Athelstan or maybe just taking the role of narrator.

I like Cornwall when im looking for an easy read. Its true that his heroes are Sharpe in Agincourt, Sharpe in american civil war, Sharpe in dark ages etc, but they are fun.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 07:17:07 PM »
Mr. Cornwall’s Arthurian  trilogy is , imho , the best writing he has done .  Anything else I have read by him is sadly formulaic and ,indeed , repetitive.

Online Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:33:10 PM »
Anything else I have read by him is sadly formulaic and ,indeed , repetitive.

This I’m afraid. The first few Uhtred books were cracking, the last few have been a rehashing of the same story.

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »
Mr. Cornwall’s Arthurian  trilogy is , imho , the best writing he has done .   
I totally agree Colin  :)
This I’m afraid. The first few Uhtred books were cracking, the last few have been a rehashing of the same story.
I totally agree too  :)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 03:16:04 PM »
Like Armchair General I love Cornwell for the easy read that they are, blasted through this one in a few days, agree its slightly formulaic, although I like Uhtred being slightly nastier than some of his other characters and I prefer the story telling in the first person. Personally I think Christian Cameron is hard to beat.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »
He famously writes to an exact formula. Doesn’t matter what genre or settting, and let’s face it, he’s covered dozens - they all follow the same pattern. When he first started out in writing novels as a young man, he deconstructed a couple of his favourite adventure novels and literally stuck the pages all round the walls of his room. Then he worked out what happened where, when and to whom in these stories. From that he made a template which he has followed ever since, in every novel he’s written. Which is why they might seem a tad formulaic and repetitive ;)

60 odd books later...

Hasn’t done badly out of it though, has he?  lol

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »
Mr. Cornwall’s Arthurian  trilogy is , imho , the best writing he has done .
My favourite books of all time. I read them once every two years and still manage to get drawn into the plot and forget certain twists.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 12:02:02 AM »
Cornwall could easily be characterized as a terrible writer. But he has two redeeming qualities. He really does a good historical research on his subjects. His characters are men of their times and they behave as such.
I think that his best work was with Sharpe.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 07:28:47 AM »
I "read" his books as audiobooks while going to and from work. And the narrator Jonathan Keeble that Audible uses. Really brings these books home for me. He really sounds like Uthred is supposed to sound. Like a hardened old man retelling tales from his youth.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 08:21:16 AM »
Like Armchair General I love Cornwell for the easy read that they are, blasted through this one in a few days, agree its slightly formulaic, although I like Uhtred being slightly nastier than some of his other characters and I prefer the story telling in the first person. Personally I think Christian Cameron is hard to beat.

As Roger says really. It will be interesting to see how the Saxon series continues with the Uhted character being too old to be warrior.

Christian Cameron’s Long War series (set during the Greco-Persian Wars) and God of War (a novelised biography of Alexander the Great) are outstanding.

As for Arthurian novels, Jack Whyte’s King Arthur series is a great read.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »
He famously writes to an exact formula. Doesn’t matter what genre or settting, and let’s face it, he’s covered dozens - they all follow the same pattern. When he first started out in writing novels as a young man, he deconstructed a couple of his favourite adventure novels and literally stuck the pages all round the walls of his room. Then he worked out what happened where, when and to whom in these stories. From that he made a template which he has followed ever since, in every novel he’s written. Which is why they might seem a tad formulaic and repetitive ;)

He's certainly no Sylvia Plath, Burroughs, Bukowski.... [insert favourite quality author].....

I did enjoy the first couple of Arthurian books despite their limitations though I have to say that he certainly is not the first author I'd reach for on my bookshelf.

Hasn’t done badly out of it though, has he?  lol

How much wealth has he accrued? Millions?

Darrell.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 07:51:45 PM »
Conservatively about £5M at the last count, if you believe Wikipedia...So given his profile, longevity, and all those movie and TV deals, never mind successfully publishing an endless stream of bestsellers down a writing career spanning almost 50 years - not as much as you might have expected!

Not your typical struggling author though  ;)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
First, i like Cornwell. Arthur was great, Sharpe most the time great and the Saxon-Saga was good.
The only thing I do not like about Cornwell is, that he should not make more than 3 or 4 Books in the same row. Sharp is too long and also the Saxon - I now expect the sharpe story in his kindergarden-days. But, my opinion.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 12:17:09 PM »
I've been a great fan of Cornwell over the years. I don't believe the £5m figure. I think that's probably about the amount he's got from book sales to me. I'm afraid, though, that The  War of the Wolf is the first of his books I've been really disappointed by. It struck me as drawing the story out for the sake of another book.