Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:54:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690318
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6 mm figures for Russian Civil War and other Back of Beyond games  (Read 2387 times)

Offline madman

• Scientist
I am looking at Red Actions but using 6 mm figures. First I am going to play a couple games using just markers as I have no figures at this time and it will take time to acquire and paint even a small set of forces.

I am looking for suggestions, and photos as well if possible, of suitable minis. I primarily use H&R for WWII and Soviet Afghan periods but have some GHQ, Magister Militum (Mainforce) and Irregular. Who are (would) you using for various forces and factions? Plus any pictures of painted forces would be great. Thank you.

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
    • Renegade of the Atomic Age
Re: 6 mm figures for Russian Civil War and other Back of Beyond games
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »
Have you checked out Baccus? Worth a look
I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilise, street level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez!

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »
Have you checked out Baccus? Worth a look

Thank you for the idea. I have seen some comparisons done on a few personal sites and they come off much larger and heavier than the others so would not mix well. Plus I have some of their animal figures which have quite a few blow holes. Some of the cows should be lying down as casualties, or BBQ meals!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
Lots in the GHQ catalogue to pick from. The polish range has a tchanka for example.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 09:49:32 PM »
Lots in the GHQ catalogue to pick from. The polish range has a tchanka for example.

Sorry I don't see lots. The Tchanka and WWII Polish, Russian (WWII headgear) and German "cossack" Cavalry yes. The Winter infantry maybe although the headgear is very post RCW and no SMGs at the time. The Renault Ft-17 (was it used in the RCW, I don't know) maybe. The German hose drawn wagons have divers with definite WWII helmets which is the issue with most other infantry. Please elucidate me though. Thank you for the reply.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 11:45:01 PM »
Take a look at Irregular Miniatures.
They have a good selection of Russian WWI
figures that should work.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:46:13 PM »
Sorry I don't see lots. The Tchanka and WWII Polish, Russian (WWII headgear) and German "cossack" Cavalry yes. The Winter infantry maybe although the headgear is very post RCW and no SMGs at the time. The Renault Ft-17 (was it used in the RCW, I don't know) maybe. The German hose drawn wagons have divers with definite WWII helmets which is the issue with most other infantry. Please elucidate me though. Thank you for the reply.

Ok. I tried.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 11:56:48 PM »
Ok. I tried.

Am I missing some items? It just seems a lot are very WWII, such as wrong period helmets, weapons etc.. I know Irregular has quite a bit and there may be some H&R which is suitable. Baccus is doing WWI, as is H&R which should have some good items. I assume a lot of (early war) WWI British figures would work (no helmets(?)) and frankly I don't know enough about other forces at this time to make any decisions beyond Reds and Whites and so little about them as well. I found a picture of H&R WWII Soviet Cossacks but they look like they are wearing German helmets;

If there are items at GHQ past what I reviewed which look good please let me know. Thank you.

Looks like these may actually be Renaissance Cossack Cavalry as they seem the only units which partially match the code. New models (sculpts and production) use different codes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:06:50 AM by madman »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 12:13:47 AM »
What I think might work:

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/p8.html Polish cavalry
http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/p12.html Tchanka ok With driver head swap
http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/r32.html Russian cavalry
http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/g74.html Cossacks

So I guess you’re right; limited somewhat.

I’m not a fan of Baccus cav, the horses are so small. The Baccus infantry are much better by comparison. 

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 12:25:50 AM »
Yes, the Polish Cavalry is a great call. The Cossacks as well but I thought the pack horse in the picture looked like he had an lmg (I know picky, picky).

The Russian Cavalry looks like post RCW winter hats. Is this type of headgear much older than I thought? Still, not a helmet at least. Looking at the figure again it looks pretty close to a Soviet Afghan war picture of a couple of mounted Spetsnaz troopers.

I have the Tchanka I bought for early WWII so it is fine as is. Does anyone do 6 mm head swaps? I would be most impressed, and a little concerned, as I wouldn't even think of such a thing on 25 mm. I am old school and all my fantasy lead is over 30 years old. They didn't feed the lead as well back then so they were stunted I guess.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 12:51:32 AM »
I do head swaps in 6mm; I also paint for GHQ.  ;)