Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial Skies or Aeronef?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Imperial Skies or Aeronef?
« on: October 28, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »
I have a pdf of Aeronef and there has long been some interest in that at the club.  Don't have Imperial Skies yet.

How do the two systems compare? 

We'ld mostly be interested in doing larger engagements utilisting Brigade Models' Fleet Pack sized forces rather than Ironclads & Etherflyers more detailed skirmishy engagements.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Imperial Skies or Aeronef?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 07:17:24 PM »
I have both, and while I have played Aeronef, I haven't actually played Imperial Skies, but I have read through and worked through a couple of examples. Aeronef is 'quick and dirty' but to do this, it has stripped out a lot of details. IS has good 'period' feel, but I would be reluctant to use it with more than a few ships per side. This would improve with familiarity.

Aeronef if you only play very occasionally and you want a simple fast game. Imperial Skies for more depth, but needs commitment.   
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 11:34:20 PM »
I have played both, and concur with Shahbahraz.

I DO feel that Aeronef is an easier start, and will have you itching to 'tweak' almost immediately. I found that a GOOD thing.

If you can find the add-ons David Manley suggested in some articles for Ragnarok, especially the 'altitude' variant, I know I wish I'd had given them a play.

I personally, to disdain of several playing partners, wanted to tweak IS as well. Can't give examples at the moment, as it's been a bit since we trotted out, but there were parts that just didn't feel right to me. It's complexity wasn't daunting, though.

I know: a bit vague, but the best I can offer.

Mind, even with vanilla rules, either have me saying 'you can't go wrong.'

Doug

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 12:51:39 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I did break down and just put in an order for Imperial Skies and a few other odds and ends of things aeronef from Scale Creep.  Looks like I'll have to do a close comparison of hte actual rules and decide which one to use as a starting block, perhaps splicing bits of the two.

They wouldn't have given us pencils and margins if we didn't need them!
=^,^=

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 08:21:38 PM »
I have played both, and concur with Shahbahraz.

I DO feel that Aeronef is an easier start, and will have you itching to 'tweak' almost immediately. I found that a GOOD thing.

If you can find the add-ons David Manley suggested in some articles for Ragnarok, especially the 'altitude' variant, I know I wish I'd had given them a play.

I personally, to disdain of several playing partners, wanted to tweak IS as well. Can't give examples at the moment, as it's been a bit since we trotted out, but there were parts that just didn't feel right to me. It's complexity wasn't daunting, though.

I know: a bit vague, but the best I can offer.

Mind, even with vanilla rules, either have me saying 'you can't go wrong.'

Doug

Yep - agreed, I enjoy my Aeronef games though we invariably tweak them as scenarios 'The Escape of the Brazilian Ambassador across the Andes' was a particular favourite.