Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:11:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690516
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sable brush woes  (Read 6339 times)

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
Sable brush woes
« on: October 30, 2018, 09:35:26 PM »
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I need a little help with a couple of my brushes.

I have a Kolinsky sable brush which looks fine when dry, but as soon as it gets paint on it and I start to 'brush'with it, it looses it's point.

I've soaked it a couple of times in Winsor & Newton brush cleaner and have recently started to set the tip with soap (regular hand soap).

The brush cleaner says to soak overnight, but I wonder if that may have done something to it?

I've always been careful with the brush, making sure it's well cleaned after use and not stored upside down or anything crazy.

This has happened with another cheap citadel brush that I'm open to experiment with but if I can't fix the problem, it'll be a really expensive dry brush.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be able to do, if anything, to save it.

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
Re: Sable brush woes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:52:42 PM »
Looking at the close up of the brush, looks like there is some paint by the ferrule so I'll give it another soak, but last time I did that, it didn't help.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »
Maybe you've got dry paint build up deep in the ferrule.

Work some acrylic thinners or paint stripper into it, work the base of the brush hairs with your thumb nail to loosen any dried paint, rinse off then work some hair conditioner into the hairs for a minute then rinse off.
Some people recomend storing them hair end down so gravity stops the hairs seperating.

I got some brush soap from Ken Bromley and use that every couple of days to give them a good clean.

But sometimes when they're gone they're gone.  ;)

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:17:10 PM »
Yeah, you could give Bugsda’s method a shot ( not much to lose at this point tbh). Sadly I think it’s a goner as a detail brush :-(
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »
Looks like he's a gonner for detail work. Use him for drybrushing or basing.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 10:35:02 PM »
I had a few that did not hold their point and as a last resort I tried this stuff.
http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/inicio/627-brush-repair-gel.html
It worked a treat.  From the smell I have a sneaky suspicion it is just hair jell but it reset the point.  Rinsed out with water without issue. One other thing that I have added into my routine is using a second water tank with mild dish soap mixed in.  I rinse in that first then with water after painting and it has helped. 
Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »
I hang my brushes bristles down while painting and to dry after cleaning.  That has helped me address paint build up in the ferrrule, as well as cleaning the brush often while painting.  Keep clean water for brush cleaning as well.  Here are the art devices I use:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/aluminum-brush-washer/#photos

https://www.dickblick.com/products/richeson-aluminum-brush-washer/#photos

Inexpensive, easy to clean, and durable.  The second one is my favorite, as the washing surface seems more durable than the screen in the first.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:23:25 PM by jeffreythancock »

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
What brand is it?

fwiw, I'll be picking up some cheap sables on Amazon for metallic and basecoating. :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073YDKWWP/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A1Z5AABUF1PJVG&psc=1
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 06:57:44 AM »
It's only a simonart brush but I just picked up a couple of W&N series 7 that I want to protect. 

Having an extra cup of soapy water sounds like such a simple solution (excuse the pun). I don't change my water often enough and having a soapy pot is an easy step to take (though one more cup to confuse with tea).
I'll look into the gel and brush washer thigies.

I guess it's had a good life. I must have done hundreds of figures  with it.... how I'll miss him, old friend....

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
I've found that cheaper sable brushes do this after you've painted a few hundred figures with them.
The only brushes which seem to hold their points long term are the W&N Series 7.

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 11:02:54 AM »
Having just ordered a couple of series 7's, I'll let you know in a few hundred minis time. Which at this rate, won't be too long!

I've just started on the Conan board game and stretch goals figures and will be moving onto the Pelennor fields box (evil guys) after that.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »
Since this one is basically dead, try this:  soak the bristles to the ferrule in simple green or some other cleaner. After it has soaked a bit, work a needle in among at the ferrule from the side. The idea is to pick out bits of paint that have dried in there and are softened by the cleaner.

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »
I'll consider it like Dr Frakensteins monster and poke it till it lives! It's currently undergoing a shampoo and set with hair conditioner and will receive the needle treatment at the weekend. I did soak it in brush cleaner over night but got very little out.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »
Once you have tried everything else, and failed, try some decorators universal paint thinners (e.g. Nitromors).
Dip the brush in the thinners and then roll it along some kitchen paper to work the paint out of the ferrule.

I have managed to rescue various brushes that were about to be thrown in the bin.

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 04:03:07 PM »
I've always thought of Nitromors as a paint stripper rather than thinner, but I guess it's a brand name. I have thinners somewhere and that'll be my last attempt.