Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Matte coat/varnish  (Read 3118 times)

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
Matte coat/varnish
« on: October 31, 2018, 04:12:00 PM »
I've been using Vallejo polyurethane matt varnish neat through my airbrush (.4 tip, plenty of pressure) and I've found the finish too satin for my liking.
As I only seem to paint en mass these days (25 Conan picts on my bench at the moment) I'm not sure I can be bothered with brush applied varnish.

Can anyone recommend a really matt finishing varnish which could be shot through an airbrush?

Will a matt coat over a gloss coat come out more matt (though I could probably do without that extra step as well)?

I'm a little loathed to use rattle cans for cost and fear of fogging (though I know this can be remedied). I've been using a rattle can I picked up in Wickes which I intended to use for scenery and it's ok, but just as satin as the Vallejo.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much and a slightly satin finish is as good as it gets.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
Re: Matte coat/varnish
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:35:55 PM »
Liquitex matte varnish works for me, and can be shot straight through the brush. I do a gloss coat, let it cure for a day, then follow with matte.

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 06:04:31 PM »
Ah, very good. It should be easy to pick up locally.

Is the gloss varnish for durability?

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
I use Vallejo RC Matt varnish 62.062 . This is absolutely dead matte - even more so than Winsor & Newton brush on artist varnish. You shake it enough ?
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
Im sure I saw somewhere that the Vallejo polyurethane varnish should be rolled rather than shaken so as not to introduce bubbles but to be honest once it's gone through the airbrush, it won't have any bubbles anyway.
I've been using this one;

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/paints-washes-etc/vallejo-paints/model-color/60ml-vallejo-matt-varnish?d=22&gclid=CjwKCAjwpeXeBRA6EiwAyoJPKkiNfbREs6TZhVMdyxQ9QSDH6FAtCvfu9zRwI8sq01n_ZluJ10rj9BoCTZsQAvD_BwE

But I'll happily try the liquitex or the Vallejo premium one.

Dead matte sounds perfect and the rest of my air paints are Vallejo anyway so that might be the one.

Ta.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:03:45 AM »
Ah, very good. It should be easy to pick up locally.

Is the gloss varnish for durability?

Yes, though I’m not certain it’s needed. Old habit.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 10:57:10 AM »
Gloss varnish first is good if you want to apply decals. They slide nicely and can be positioned.
Once they are dry, a coat of matt seals them on and gets rid of the 'decal shine'.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »
Testers dullcote, diluted 1:1 with lacquer thinner and shot through an airbrush has consistently given me a true Matt finish even over a heavy gloss varnish.

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
I've ordered a bottle of the Vallejo Premium varnish so I'll give that a try.

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 09:23:32 PM »
Right, a quick update. My Vallejo Premium Polyurethane Matt Varnish (62.062) arrived and I managed to escape Mrs S for 20 mins and shot some through my .2mm airbrush. 

I started at 40ish psi but dropped it to 25 with no issue.  I covered 1 pict, 1 massive darkness door and a few chests from Massive Darkness.
I'd already varnished the doors and chests with the standard Vallejo Polyurethane matt varnish (26.651) so I'll be able to do a direct comparison with those. 

It went on really well neat and seemed easy to clean up, but I wasn't spraying for long at all 

When I snuck, ninja like, back into the house, the y weren't completely  dry but 90% of a couple of them were (I went a bit heavy on the door) and it's good news.

They look, well, matt.

I can't recommend  this enough. It does indeed come out really matt compared to the satin I'd neen getting from the other stuff. It's much easier to put down as it can use a .2 nozzle and doesn't need rediculous pressure to get through a .4 nozzle.

I'll try and get a couple of photos over the weekend but I think it'll be tough to get a good comparison photo.

@Gnomehome  I owe you one buddy.

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 03:35:59 PM »
The one on the right is the Vallejo Premium Polyurethane Matt Varnish (62.062 and the left is the Vallejo Polyurethane matt varnish (26.651).

Not the best shot, but I think it does show the satin finish of the 26.651.