Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:00:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689770
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Barons’ War 1264-67: UD 7/11 Retinue for Lions Rampant  (Read 45950 times)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Barons’ War 1264-67: UD 7/11 Retinue for Lions Rampant
« on: November 01, 2018, 01:08:19 PM »
Thread Index:

P.14 Village rebuild & plans re FFOL: Bigger Battles
P.16 Retinue for Lions Rampant

Am starting a new project that if it goes to plan will comprise a ‘local’ campaign of sorts notionally set during the 2nd Barons War. I’m using Crusader Miniatures (Later Crusaders Range) and will probably also get some Curteys in due course. I’m testing rules at the mo, which are a relatively light modification to the recently launched Fistful of Lead: Galactic Heroes (the major mod is to create a Close Combat table, which gives a hack and slash feel while allowing for different calibre, equipment and weapons of troops).

The test game that follows was a lot of fun. I played it solo, with each Force being optimised to their hand of cards. Both Forces and the two sides of the table were the same, so both were equally placed. The table was slightly smaller than 3’ by 3’.

Each force comprised:

Amounted Knight with foot alternate
A serjeant with two-handed axe
Two spearmen
Two crossbows

The background to the game is a longstanding territorial dispute between two Knights, and they both arrive at the boundary between their respective hamlets with the intent of resolving the matter once and for all.

Both sides start by moving their crossbows up the flanks and then closing the gap between their opposing lines.

The field then breaks into scattered melees with the Yellow Knight being quickly unseated.

But the Red Knight was also promptly on the ground, a crossbow bolt having taken out his mount.

Much hacking, slashing, twisting, twirling, feinting and dodging followed with the advantage shifting from side to side.

A further attempt to shoot down the Red Knight was indecisive:

Both sides remained dogged but the Red Knight began to accumulate Shock.

With the Red’s only loaded archer caught in Close Combat, their inability to loose a bolt became critical.

With the Yellow crossbows having stalled the Red serjeant, the Red Knight fought alone:

The Red Knight managed to kill the Yellow spearman but accumulating Shock, Wounds and being Prone were taking a toll.

The game ended on the last card of Turn 5, as the Yellow Knight chose the best of two dice rolls to deliver the third and final wound to Red.

The next test of the rules will be with larger forces.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 09:19:51 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: 2nd Barons War - new project (test game AAR)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 01:53:26 PM »
Great looking figures.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
A splendid outing  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
Great stuff. Looking forward to our Barons Wars games next year... ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 03:05:39 PM »
Yeah, lovely looking game.

What I'd like to know, from others as well, is how much of a game there is with so few figures on each side.

Because I really don't see it.

They run at each other and...well, that's the total sum of the game.

Sorry, personally, I don't see it.

Am I the only one to feel like I do?

Nope, I'm just not getting these 'half-dozen a side' games. It works better with gun games because there's more tactics and stealth as players try to use terrain to get the drop on the other side. But when the technological level of the game is bits of sharp metal then the only way an outcome will be achieved is by melee, so there's nothing else to do except rush in and get on with it. And with so few figures that's about it - there's no enough for the game to develop.

Ho hum.

Totally disagree with you :)

Silent Invader the author of this thread provided the following game a couple of weeks ago:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=112353.0

Involving small bands of knight and followers fighting over the hand of a fair maiden.

It was the best game I have played in a long time. Lots of fun knowing with only a handful of figures you had to exercise caution or throw it to the wind. Each game went down to the wire and was very exciting. These games are usually scenario driven which gives you reasons to act in a certain way. Throw in missile fire from crossbows etc and you have lots of thrills.

You are also investing in each figure as an individual character for whom it matters if he survives or dies in the game. Was he shot by arrow or felled by an axe? The game can take on a cinematic feel.

I can't say the same for a large game lining up row upon row of nameless figures. Then spending hours moving them into position for it then to come down to the inevitable massive dice rolling fest that will follow.

Big games, Nah not for me, boring as Hell. ;) :)

Oh and if your En Guarde game was as described perhaps its not the size of the game but the lack of a decent well thought out and constructed scenario that is to blame no the lack of hundreds of figures.  :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:44:52 PM by Malamute »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:10:41 PM »
I played the same game as Malamute and I'd agree with his summary, it was a blast. It wasn't just a rush forward and roll dice game at all, there was a lot of thought in terms of what to do. It was scenario driven which helps. Each to their own though. It'd be dull if we all liked the same thing.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 03:14:32 PM »
Yeah, lovely looking game.

What I'd like to know, from others as well, is how much of a game there is with so few figures on each side.
Especially in 'sword and shield' games.
Because I really don't see it.
What else is there to do except go running at each other and then it's just turn after turn of rolling to hit each other.

With more figures I can see how the game develops - as figures/units crumble, bringing reserves in, exploiting gaps, the ebb and flow of battle.
But with that number of figures? You can do none of that. They run at each other and...well, that's the total sum of the game.

I had a game of En Garde a few weeks ago. That had a few more figures - about 7 or 8 a side, and it did have some firearms. But it was monumentally boring. We ran at each other, we paired off, and then we started round after round of combat. That was the game.

I'm not saying the table has to be wall-to-wall figures, but there does need to be enough for the game to have depth, tactics, and dimensions.
Genuine question - what am I missing? Am I the only one to feel like I do?

Nope, I'm just not getting these 'half-dozen a side' games. It works better with gun games because there's more tactics and stealth as players try to use terrain to get the drop on the other side. But when the technological level of the game is bits of sharp metal then the only way an outcome will be achieved is by melee, so there's nothing else to do except rush in and get on with it. And with so few figures that's about it - there's no enough for the game to develop.

Ho hum.

Ho hum.  lol

I’m not going to try and convince you of anything as I’m not selling anything, just enjoy whatever you enjoy.

If you don’t like it or don’t get it *shrug*  :D

To others tempted to take up Humkat’s request for wider opinion/debate viz small medieval games: I’d be grateful if you’d do that in a separate thread as I really want to keep this one about my project, which if I stay motivated to continue with updating has a lot more to come.  ;) :)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
Nice looking game Steve, please share more as your project continues.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 03:19:51 PM »

We manage to get a good evenings gaming in with just a few figures. We bring a lot of fun and camaraderie to the game. Maybe that’s what you’re lacking?

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 12:29:41 AM »
 lol lol lol

We manage to get a good evenings gaming in with just a few figures. We bring a lot of fun and camaraderie to the game. Maybe that’s what you’re lacking?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Utgaard

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 07:34:17 AM »
Great looking terrain and miniatures - and the game sounds like you had a lot of fun, thanks for sharing!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »
If a game is boring or not depends on the players and not the number of figures. A well done table, some soldiers on it and players who love a game and not the rules makes a great evening. And at the end this is the important thing. I played with Silent Invader and it was always a pleasure for me and he is a outstanding skirmisher.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:50:41 AM by NurgleHH »
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
Great looking project

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 08:04:47 AM »
A very nice looking game.

I would direct attention to the first words of the second paragraph of the opening post, this was a game to test rule modifications, not a complete scenario. I like a good wall-to-wall big bash myself, but for me the joy of skirmish games is that you can create fun scenarios.

Offline Ghost

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »
I just bought Galactic Heroes, I wonder how you will modifie the close combat rules. I thought this rule don't suit very well for pre-gunpowder era games, I am interesting in the houserules you will develop.

Personnally I have tested, and enjoyed, Open Combat for skirmishing in ancient/Medieval/fantasy settings.