Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:45:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Of Gods and Mortals Ancient Indian Ideas please  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Desert Rat

• Assistant
Of Gods and Mortals Ancient Indian Ideas please
« on: November 01, 2018, 03:50:29 PM »
At work today I was gripped by the idea of doing an ancient Indian "army" for OGAM. The mortal troop types are very nicely covered by the range from The Miniature Company.
They have some really lovely foot troops and command.
Aventine Miniatures do some really lovely war elephants.
Where can I find good information about indian mythology and the various deieties ?
Are there any manufacturers out there that produce any indian god like figures ?
I would appreciate any help, so thanks in advance.

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
Re: Of Gods and Mortals Ancient Indian Ideas please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 05:26:59 PM »
This is a great idea! For research, I would just start with Wikipedia and see where that takes you.

Crooked Dice do this model which may be of some use:
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/the-destroyer/

Offline Desert Rat

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the link.
Yeah that is the kind of thing I am looking for.
Multi armed beings.
I find it curious that the Indians have the oldest known stories but we in the west know almost nothing about them.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »
I find it curious that the Indians have the oldest known stories but we in the west know almost nothing about them.

Look up the Ramayana.

A friend gave me a set of figures like these, of the main characters. They're about 54mm tall, would work as supernatural beings in a 28mm army. I don't think the ones I have were this expensive:

https://www.chairish.com/product/1131514/antique-vintage-indian-ramayana-handmade-wood-figures-multicolor-set-of-4-miniature?gclid=CjwKCAjwyOreBRAYEiwAR2mSkqs-fldzf2rp83EvywJp6MyBeJi3xwVaxiBvehNLS7USFb-e2FZpwxoC3RQQAvD_BwE

I see there are other Ramayana-themed toy figures commercially available. This set is interesting, don't know the size:

https://www.amazon.in/Iken-Craft-Ramayan-4-Characters/dp/B017BMCVLA

Maybe visit your local Indian grocery, buy a jar of hot pickles, and ask the owner if he knows where to find figs like these.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Desert Rat

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 09:25:11 PM »
Yeah, heard about the Ramayana.
Not so sure about those figures, except maybe for the colour schemes.

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 10:18:19 PM »

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
I've had similar thoughts but have only got as far as digging out my old copy of Deities and Demigods (the D&D supplement), which has a rake of Gods in from a variety of pantheons, including Indian. I was planning on trying to distill out some Deities from that.

Finding Legends and Mortals that are sufficiently different to the other pantheons was a bit more problematic and I went away to give it some thought, then got sidetracked by other projects!

I would be very interested in any progress you make.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:13:22 AM »
IIRC as I am a bit hazy since I read the Ramayana a long time ago, Rama was the avatar of Vishnu and was a bowman.  I don't think Indian/Hindu gods tended to take the form of Avatars rather than manifesting; similar to Zeus in the Greek Myths.

However, I am pretty rusty on these matters. 

This might be helpful: http://www.bl.uk/learning/cult/inside/corner/ramayana/synopsis.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 02:14:40 AM »
From the Ramayana, Rama, his brother Lakshmana, and Hanuman would all make good legends. Gandrayda is a great choice for a big monster of some kind, and if the game allows for mythical troops then monkey warriors seem like a must.

As deities go, my knowledge is spotty but Vishnu has ten different forms or avatars, each of which could be represented on the table differently, so that's a lot of options right there. Shiva also seems like a good choice. The antagonist from the Ramayana, the demon king Ravana, would also probably fit as a deity. His army could include demon warriors, and I know he had some champions that could he legends.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:16:42 AM by Whitwort Stormbringer »

Offline Ashokmarine1

• Student
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 11:00:19 PM »
I have started something similar. Figures are hard to find. But I have a hanuman monkey god, rakshasa shape shifters ,Arjun the archer and Kali the god.

Offline Old-N-Busted

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 07:25:15 AM »
You could also try an ebay search for the Helephant from the massive darkness kickstarter, or the World of SMOG rise of moloch  kickstarter also had some Indian minis. And if i remember right the old foundry compendium book had an elephant god converted from a toy zoo elephant on a troll body. Hope this helps. BUSTED.

Well said Agshard we"ve never really liked the Yull have we? vicious buggers-fluffy too. Space Captain Smith Vol 2

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »
a good starting point for convertion is the Reaper's Avaatar of Strenght !

You can easily take off his african attributes and then add india 's ones  ;)

Cheers
Eric
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Desert Rat

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
First of thanks for all the ideas.
I really think this is a good idea. Does anyone know if OGAM will be receiving any more army lists from the author ?
Well so far I have the Shiva Destroyer miniature as my god. It's not a bad mini to start with. It is a bit daunting to start naming the gods and giving them attributes.
I also have 2 war elephants, 1 of which is armoured, I am thinking of using this for a possible Indian general/prince legend unit.
The other is unarmoured which I thought could be a mortal troop unit. What attributes should they have, ideas ?

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 07:31:05 AM »
Does anyone know if OGAM will be receiving any more army lists from the author ?

I suspect Andrea is too focused on other projects at the moment to be releasing more OGAM lists, but he is really approachable and always enthusiastic when chatting with players about their thoughts for new army lists and unit profiles.

I also have 2 war elephants, 1 of which is armoured, I am thinking of using this for a possible Indian general/prince legend unit.
The other is unarmoured which I thought could be a mortal troop unit. What attributes should they have, ideas ?

I would use both as 'legends'. Mortal troops can be fielded as single figures I guess, but are pretty pointless unless unless there are at least four in the unit.

As legends, they could be something like: Q3 C3, huge, dashing (and make one of them armoured). Add shooter: medium if the riders have javelins?

Offline Desert Rat

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
Just some bare bones ideas for the mortal units.

Indian Archers (OO) Q4 C2 Shooter (Medium)

Indian Light Infantry (OO) Q4 C1 Shooter (Short)

Indian Spearmen (CO) Q4 C2

Indian Swordsmen (CO) Q4 C2

Indian Maiden Guard (CO) Q4 C2 Rare ( 8 ) Steadfast

Indian Light Cavalry (OO) Q4 C2 Mounted, Long Move

Monkey-Men Warriors (CO) or (OO) Q4 C2 Forester

King Cobra (OO) Q4 C1

Tigers (OO) Q4 C2

So, obviously the attributes are missing and the points. Any other unit types needed ? Thoughts ?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:25:50 AM by Desert Rat »