Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689781
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Treatise on Pine Trees  (Read 2072 times)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
A Treatise on Pine Trees
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:49:29 PM »
In anticipation of the Dux Britanniarum game that I'm running, I decided that I need more terrain. While Dux Brit's terrain rules typically leave a lot of open terrain, I personally prefer a more realistic, densely populated table. I want to see forests that look like forests, villages that look like villages, and crops that look like crops. Full tutorial on the blog https://wartoendallblogs.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-treatise-on-pine-trees.html

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:17:04 PM by arget8 »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: A Treatise on Pine Trees
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 04:18:25 AM »
Great stuff! I was thinking of doing something similar.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »
timely for me too, will look at your guide - thanks.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 12:18:06 PM »
Great stuff. And just in time as well. Soon 'tis the time to buy discounted christmas village decorations.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 11:48:57 PM »
Great quick read. I'm working on some trees and forests myself so I'll definitely give this a try.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
"I want to see forests that look like forests, villages that look like villages, and crops that look like crops." 

Ah, so you are seeing the light and converting to 15 mm gaming, then?   lol

I'm off in a couple of hours to the local model train convention with a goal of buying bunches of trees - mostly for my N-scale model railroad but trying to find better deciduous trees for gaming, too, but only if they are bulk cheap, not model railroad expensive, the deciduous trees.  The model railroading trees I'll pay a bit more for, looking for Douglas firs in some quantity and there is small company that usually shows up with lots.  Hoping they are there today! 

I like tables that look the like the world we live in, or the folks did back when for past times, rather than a bland playing surface.  At least in that way, we are kindred spirits.  Running ACW game tomorrow at local convention and hoping to put out a nice display - except my railroad track is a ways away from getting painted so it will be below my normal standard but I need it on the table so on it goes.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »
EXCELLENT! I was looking for a tutorial on realistic tree-making that would suit my taste.Yes this is simply perfect. I love it!  :-*

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
I lik'um, especially the short pine.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
A great tutorial/post - thank you for sharing. We coauld all do with more trees.....

""I want to see forests that look like forests, villages that look like villages, and crops that look like crops." 

Ah, so you are seeing the light and converting to 15 mm gaming, then?   lol

I'm off in a couple of hours to the local model train convention with a goal of buying bunches of trees - mostly for my N-scale model railroad but trying to find better deciduous trees for gaming, too, but only if they are bulk cheap, not model railroad expensive, the deciduous trees.  The model railroading trees I'll pay a bit more for, looking for Douglas firs in some quantity and there is small company that usually shows up with lots.  Hoping they are there today! 

I like tables that look the like the world we live in, or the folks did back when for past times, rather than a bland playing surface.  At least in that way, we are kindred spirits.  Running ACW game tomorrow at local convention and hoping to put out a nice display - except my railroad track is a ways away from getting painted so it will be below my normal standard but I need it on the table so on it goes."

I agree.

Tony

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 08:18:58 AM »
That Killing Fields terrain mat ain't looking shit either. But expensive! Does it stand above a home made skinned and tanned teddy bear to motivate the  price?

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »
Great article, what length of flock of you use?

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 10:11:23 PM »
Thanks gents, appreciate it!

I would say that the Killing Fields mat is definitely worth the buy. It cost me that much to get all of the materials for making my own. When you factor in all the time and effort it takes to get something nice, I would say go with Killing Fields. If you're experienced with it or are looking to heavily customize it, make your own.

The static grass on all of them is either 2mm or 4mm, depending on the look you're going for.

Here are some pics of them on the table. The table has since been added to an finished as well, so disregard the unfinished stuff. I'm currently working out how to model a flexible forest floor as well.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:16:32 PM by arget8 »