Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sarissa 28mm Plantation House  (Read 2789 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Sarissa 28mm Plantation House
« on: November 03, 2018, 05:28:45 AM »
A lovely MDF kit from Sarissa which just needs the usual attention to detail to lift it out of the obvious pitfalls of MDF buildings. The build is part tribute to alcal's brilliant Stalingrad build (which you can see in the World War Two folder) and his inspirational use of embossed wallpaper brick effects. More details on the build here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2018/11/sarissa-28mm-plantation-house.html

I wanted to use the brick effect I had seen on alcal's build for the bricks on the house, particularly the chimneys and the brick base of the house:

The paper is fairly easy to apply once soaked and softened in some diluted PVA glue:

For a very pleasing effect for very little effort:

I also used the Charlie Foxtrot pre-cut sheets for the roof tiles, a necessity I think to escape the obvious MDF roof look:

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
Re: Sarissa 28mm Plantation House
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 07:18:37 AM »
Great job.
Brings the building to life.
Flatpack

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »
Yes, excellent job of improving the basic MDF kit, it looks good.

I’m using AlCal’s technique on some 20th C buildings at the moment.  Did you find soaking the brick paper tended to take some of the colour off the bricks?
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:43:21 AM »
As MDF buildings go, that’s a great result  :-*
Well worth the extra titivation with the brick paper. Although I’ve always thought the only thing MDF was really good for was representing timber or timber clad structures, and that’s also partly why this works so well - because it’s a building with a lot of timber.
MDF for primarily brick or stone built edifices is still not a runner for me, but I am evidently in a small minority. I recall a few years ago at Salute, one of the early MDF businesses had a small table with a couple of kits on sale. Now, maybe 7 or 8 years later, the big MDF companies have the biggest stands at the event. It must be one of the most successful and financially rewarding innovations in the history of wargaming - and to be fair, the products have got a lot better.
Some of them almost tempt me.
But I just can’t get past the 2D-ness (or is it one dimensionality?) of the surfaces...

Nice job on this one though  :)

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »
I love articles like this , which give a detailed look at the product , your add ons are a bonus T.C.  At £25 it may feature on a few Xmas lists . Your instructions on the blog are clear and easy to follow. I,m thinking of raising the model up with an MDF base which would allow the addition of coffee stirrer steps to the front of the porch for a Southern Belle to sweep down . 😁 Vivian Leigh , shades of Gone with the Wind , perhaps . “ Frankly , my dear ........”

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this :). I will try this on some of my MDF buildings.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »
Nice house :-* :-* :-*
Well worth the extra effort

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 06:36:20 PM »
Love the small additions.
 The little things you did,
really dresses it up.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 09:50:13 PM »
Did you find soaking the brick paper tended to take some of the colour off the bricks?

I may have over stated the soaking. I only apply the diluted PVA to the rear of the paper and then just leave it for a short while to soak in. It just needs to soften the paper enough to make it flexible and conform to your shapes. I think that way you avoid removing colour from the printed side. Hope that helps.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »
I love articles like this , which give a detailed look at the product , your add ons are a bonus T.C.  At £25 it may feature on a few Xmas lists . Your instructions on the blog are clear and easy to follow. I,m thinking of raising the model up with an MDF base which would allow the addition of coffee stirrer steps to the front of the porch for a Southern Belle to sweep down . 😁 Vivian Leigh , shades of Gone with the Wind , perhaps . “ Frankly , my dear ........”

LOL nice idea, perhaps the Southern Belle can provide a morale boost to all units in line of sight? 😉 I have plans to base mine as well, but in the short term I needed this ready for a game this weekend so had to settle for this much progress.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 10:01:37 PM »
But I just can’t get past the 2D-ness (or is it one dimensionality?) of the surfaces...

Nice job on this one though  :)

I don’t disagree, but I think a lot of their popularity comes from the fact they are light, very robust and easy to assemble. Features like removable roofs and similar features also make them very practical for gaming. That comes at a cost in realism which is one reason I always feel the need to try and use them as a starting point rather than the finished article. Textured paints and wall paper prints can go a long way to overcoming their shortcomings when it comes to non-wood surfaces, I guess it all depends on your taste and how much extra work you want to put into them.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »
Excellent work on that MDF building. You have given me some further inspiration for a future project of mine.

I guess it all depends on your taste and how much extra work you want to put into them.

Exactly. I echo your thoughts on MDF.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 04:27:48 AM »
I ,like how you work MDF buildings; great result!
LOL nice idea, perhaps the Southern Belle can provide a morale boost to all units in line of sight? 😉
+1 Cleavage. :D

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 10:17:07 PM »
That’s a beauty! Well done!

Chris
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 06:10:11 AM »
Great looking build, I really enjoyed reading about it. Where did you find the embossed brick paper? I have had trouble finding anything halfway decent looking.