Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:50:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Start of Finnish war (1808-09) skirmishes  (Read 2014 times)

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
Start of Finnish war (1808-09) skirmishes
« on: November 03, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »
Perries released some nice Swedish (Finnish)  dragoons recently, which was a perfect reason to start a new project. As my friend is an actual Finnish Dragoon, I took the Russian side. The first models I got ready are these Don Cossacks:

Few extra photos and words in my blog:

http://wewargaming.blogspot.com/2018/11/don-cossacks.html?m=1

My own main interest is to do some buildings for this as they'll be type of houses I have got used to seeing at the country side back home. I have been investigating the building methods and try to replicate them as best I can. More to come on that soon enough.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:44:37 AM by jamopower »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Start of Finnish war (1808-09) skirmishes
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
I am really enthused about this period with the Perry Swedes, the Foundry early Napoleonic Russians and Sword & Sabre scenario books. It is just a project too far for me at the moment.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:47:22 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 05:15:05 PM »
We're about to play Horse and muskets. Low key scenarios like raids to farmsteads or ambushes on supply wagons.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 10:48:40 PM »
These are well worth getting if you haven’t seen them.

http://www.swordandsabre.com/

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 08:45:31 AM »
These are well worth getting if you haven’t seen them.

http://www.swordandsabre.com/

Thanks, have to put on the list. The battles are probably bit large for us for the time being, but maybe later.

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 07:36:50 AM »
Bit of a gap between the posts, but our "campaign" progressed a while ago and for that I painted some additional troops.

Attached arephotos of my troopers and some in action shots from our game. The Russians had occupied a farm house for their camp. The game started with single trooper on duty, with others inside the cottage, and the Swedes (Finns) entering the table by the road. The game was Horse and Musket, which runs with the Fistful of lead engine, which is great game.

While the Russians were not alerted we let them only activate by cards from 10s to aces. It took them one activation to exit the building. The guardsman alerted a dragoon that rode out from the table to get some reinforcements (three hussars) that arrived a turn after the dragoon exit the board.

We played the rules bit wrong and assigned the cards on the modesl, which made the movement of the marching column bit ankward, but it went fine. The Swedes overwhelmed quickly the defences as the Russians couldn't hit anything with their muskets and the cavalry had overwhelming bonuses for combat. I think I managed to take down two horses and one rider ran away, while almost every Russian soldier fell, but such is life. Looking forward on the next games. Hopefully bit sooner than these.

The pics are unfortunately bit cloudy as my phone camera has a small scratch on the lens :(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:43:20 AM by jamopower »

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 07:32:54 PM »
Great work!
Used to play this in 6mm but eventually sold them. Very tempted by the Perry swedes as some Friends have russians already.
Looking forward to more posts from this Project.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 07:34:30 PM »
Gorgeous! You from Finland?