Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:35:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690780
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: DevLAM '18  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
DevLAM '18
« on: November 05, 2018, 09:16:22 AM »
Having been inspired by BLAM, we decided to have a mini-BLAM in Devon, hence DevLAM. Last year was our inaugural meeting and it's time again for DevLAM in 2018. This is a private gathering of three charming, sophisticated and erudite gentlemen who rise above the hoi-polloi and riff-raff to bring a touch of style and class to wargaming.   ;)  No doubt our foibles, pettifogging, quirks, idiosyncranicities, waffling and hyperbole will be well to the fore over this coming event. There may even be some consumption of the demon drink!   ;D

The event takes place from Thursday 22nd November to Monday 26th at my home in Devon. The guest stars are Doug em4 and Vagabond, both esteemed members of this forum.

This post is a master-thread to feature the links to game threads on their individual boards or blogs and will have links to the AARs after the event.

Thursday - 'The Big Bird Comes Home', WWI air combat set in 1917

Friday - 'On the Day, Went the Eagle's Landing Well?', Dad's Army/Operation Sea Lion set in September 1940

Saturday morning - 'On the Day, Went the Eagle's Landing Well?', Dad's Army/Operation Sea Lion set in September 1940

Saturday afternoon - 'The Boucharde Raid', French and Indian War set in May 1758

Sunday morning - 'For the Honour of the Family', RPG/skirmish in Upper Silesia set in the early 1930s'

Sunday afternoon - 'The Scoop', zombies and black SUV's in the Mojave Desert set in November 2018

Sunday evening - 'Ludus Gladiatorius', combat in the Roman arena set in 65 BC

I am really looking forward to this. It promises to be a great weekend.   :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:22:30 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: DevLAM '18
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 09:41:23 AM »
I'm not sure I recognise the gentlemen referred to in the second sentence but it became much clearer who was being referred to in the fourth sentence.

Last year was a blast so this year should be even better although I have been asked to return the Silver Ghost I borrowed last year but more of that later.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:08:41 AM »
This is a private gathering of three charming, sophisticated and erudite gentlemen who rise above the hoi-polloi and riff-raff to bring a touch of style and class to wargaming.
  lol

I look forward to the game reports and photos  8)  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:28:22 AM »
  lol

I look forward to the game reports and photos  8)  :D

Cheers, SI. You may recognise some of the terrain!   ;)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 11:35:52 PM »
Sorry we've not been doing a very good job with this, I think we are all working like mad to get our games together in time for the big/little show, and it's in 5 days time and I think we are all still painting, writing rules and making scenery, we've only had a year to prepare :D

I see the Mad Lord has provided a link to one of my games so I thought I'd just share a bit of what it's about, this is the opening to my story.

The Scoop

It’s like going to see the Head Mistress at Roedean moaned Katie Monk to her cameraman, you know never know why she wants to see you. Could be smoking behind the bike sheds, or the small incident in town with the butchers boy, what ever it is, it’s usually the one thing you’re not prepared for. What do you think it could be this time, I know we didn’t cover ourselves with glory on that last story, but if it hadn’t been for that interfering mother it would have been fine, we should have got an award for investigative journalism instead of being hauled over the coals.

Donald Tronji reflected on that last shit storm, the kids were all happy and content, they were living in a very poor country, in squalor, very little to eat and washing in the street drain but they had been happy. Katie wanted a piece to camera with a grubby, crying little bairn so she could bewail their plight on national TV. The upshot was she had hit the kid in face, made his nose bleed, thrown him in a muddy puddle and she had the centre of her piece ready for the camera in no time at all. The look of concern she had on her face as she started the third take was as good as it had been on the first, she was good. Katie had to pinch the child hard to make him continue crying for the last shot but it was going well, they would soon have everything in the can and be able to get out of this godforsaken hole.
The problem was the child’s mother saw everything, there was hell to pay, the Press Council was called in, even a question in Parliament, although that was about Police brutality not Press brutality (you know they never get their facts right) and the Editor would have sacked them both on the spot except that the news station owner thought Katie was the best thing since smoked kippers, and he liked smoked kippers.

Even so they had a severe dressing down and missed a couple of good stories that had gone to other reporters who were more the flavour of the month with the Boss.
Don Tronji wondered and not for the first time how long could he put up with this woman, and the answer was the same every time, as long as he got paid top dollar. They were a successful team, she had no morals or scruples where a story was concerned and would do anything to get it and his ratings in the industry as her camera man were sky high, a crying brat was a small price to pay.

Liam O’Rorke was wondering pretty much the same thing as Katie, not about the Butchers boy or Roedean but about why the Boss wanted to see him and his cameraman so early in the morning. Damn the man, where was he, Liam had tried all the usual haunts but Billy was no where to be found, he would be sleeping off another drunken binge, that’s for sure. There’s going to come a time I won’t pull his chestnuts out of the fire he thought, and if he wasn’t the best S.L.R. man in the game, drunk or sober it would have happened before now.
I wonder what excuse I can give this time, but then again the Boss knows his problems, after all he is his son, must have been difficult bringing him up without a mother, but other kids don’t seem to go so far off the rails. Well not all of them.

The Editor was waiting in the corridor for them, this wasn’t looking so good.

If you're interested in the rest of the opening story it's on my blog at the link the Mad Lord gave, sorry about the pictures, there a bit garish.

Probably the most interesting thing about this game is that The Mad Lord acquired the Arid Boards that Silent Invader made and I'm really looking forward to seeing them which is why my Newspaper Scoop is set in the desert.
This desert.

Awesome in the true sense of the word.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
So that's where the boards ended up ;) lol

Have a splendid weekend Chaps, make sure to provide lots of photos next week ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »
I hope to take lots of photies but it depends a lot on how much agony the killer-heels cause me in “Scoop”. I’m Katie and Vagabond has insisted we dress the part in his game😳. Or have I imagined that?😀😀😀

Doug

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 12:23:40 AM »
Have fun gentlemen  :)
You will certainly enjoy playing on the amazing desert boards Steve made (well I did at any rate ;))
Glad they’ve ended up in a good LAF home.
Enjoy your weekend!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 06:55:54 AM »
I hope much fun is had by all. Good to see you doing this again.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 12:43:29 PM »
Doug and John have just left after 4 straight days gaming and drinking! We were up until midnight most nights finishing games off. What a treat to game with two gentlemen of the LAF. Great games (reports to follow), great fun, great terrain and great people to game with. Loads of photos to sort and post soon.

Just a teaser for you of The Boucharde Raid from yesterday.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:52:40 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »