Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:21:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690331
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: English retinue for Lion Rampant  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
English retinue for Lion Rampant
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
Back in late 2015 or early 2016 after some talk about Lion Rampant at a club night I decided to build a retinue. Well I have just recently completed it, other projects had higher priorities.

I decided to go for late C13th English around the reigns of Henry III and Edward I, purely so I could base the retinue on Sir Richard de Holbrook or his son Sir John de Holbrook as these may have been ancestors.

Fireforge plastic box sets were my figures of choice with the delay in the completion of the project allowing the purchase of their Medieval Archers set to provide my missile troops. Crossbows seemed too Frankish for this period English.

The initial burst of production saw the mounted troops completed plus six foot sergeants at arms.

And that's as far as I got until recently. Renewed talk at the club led me to complete my retinue with the aforementioned archers being purchased and a sustained build and paint effort. Sabot bases were acquired from Warbases to allow for faster movement once on the table.

The completed retinue with a dismounted version of the leader if required.

More on this project at my blog Jabba's Wargaming at Medieval Diversion and Medieval Update

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
Re: English retinue for Lion Rampant
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »
They look great, let's hope your club actually goes through with it.  How will you field them?  I make 22 points as they stand (2 lots of foot sergeants, mounted sergeants, mounted men-at-arms, archers)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
Cheers jon_1066.
Original idea is 2 x Mounted Men at Arms, 2 x Foot Sergeants and 1 x Archers. 24 points. But could go with your suggestion too.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:24:39 PM by Jabba »

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 09:14:19 AM »
You could try two sets of MMAA but you'll find it very hit and miss.  Because they have wild charge you will rapidly lose control of them and your opponent will try to lure them into a bog against his serfs.

If you paint up six foot men at arms it will give you a lot more flexibility.  You could also field the archers as experts.

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »
Cheers jon