Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg64 back from the dead  (Read 125245 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg26 Ship WIP
« Reply #390 on: June 08, 2020, 07:55:25 PM »
Quick update...bit more progress

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg27 Ship ... a bit more WIP
« Reply #391 on: June 09, 2020, 10:49:54 AM »
Cool beans. Can I ask you to put a mini beside it for size comparison?

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #392 on: June 09, 2020, 11:23:02 AM »
Here is a picture of my ship with a mix of Perry and 1.st corps minis on it.

Sorry for the hijack Akula..

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #393 on: June 09, 2020, 12:16:54 PM »
I was going to ask about the scale difference looked - but Dr Zombie answered that admirably... Kinda jealous now since I love the Kogge. Guess I'm going to have to scratch-build my own. I have a Revell 1:50 Viking ship... was hoping to morph it into an Ironborn raider at some point... judging from the shield sizes that looks more plausible now, once I've cracked how to waterline it...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »
Sorry for the hijack Akula..

Not at all...nice looking ship

8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2020, 05:22:26 PM »
That's not shit, for 1/72 scale applicability foe 28mm.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #396 on: June 10, 2020, 09:50:28 PM »
REALLY keen to see where this goes. Was eyeing up a ship myself but don't really have any excuses to use it.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
Bit more progress on the Sell Sail’s vessel ...I decided to add a figurehead, and a ram (hopefully you can make out the latter despite my choice of a white background).

The dragon head is from a Schleich toy, with a bit of putty and HDP board for the ram. I was originally going to go with much smaller scales, but it just didn’t look right...the head is formed of large chunky ones.

I expect the figurehead would do wonders for the ship’s seakeeping qualities... probably has the bosun cursing in anything other than calm waters, but would impress potential employers at least  ;D

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg27 Ship ...figurehead
« Reply #398 on: June 14, 2020, 08:00:49 PM »
Ha! Great idea! The scales work really well!

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #399 on: June 14, 2020, 10:47:49 PM »
That works very nicely.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #400 on: June 15, 2020, 06:15:25 AM »
Brill  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2020, 08:00:22 AM »
Great idea, Matt. That’s going to look really good when painted.
Burnished gold for the ram? Or something more industrial?  :)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
It's a nice idea, and an excellent fantasy twist, but you do know that with the projecting forecastle the figurehead is going to connect way before any ram does! - the Captain will be cursing even more at the extra carpentry required afterwards!
Historically wide beamed ships like Kogge relied on their height above the waterline and used boarding rather than ramming attacks but don't let that put you off pimping your ride  :D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2020, 09:22:37 AM »
Cheers all  :)

Great idea, Matt. That’s going to look really good when painted.
Burnished gold for the ram? Or something more industrial?  :)

I haven’t decided yet tbh  :)

It's a nice idea, and an excellent fantasy twist, but you do know that with the projecting forecastle the figurehead is going to connect way before any ram does! - the Captain will be cursing even more at the extra carpentry required afterwards!
Historically wide beamed ships like Kogge relied on their height above the waterline and used boarding rather than ramming attacks but don't let that put you off pimping your ride  :D

I did think about that, but, as you said the Cog is high-sided compared to most other vessels - most of the other vessels I’m going to use will be lower that the dragon figurehead, so it won’t be an issue unless the Captain decides to ram another Cog in the bow or stern.

Actually the height of the figurehead, and the horns etc make it quite a handy way of hopping onto another ship.

If that isn’t enough excuses, I can always say the ram extends further under the waterline  :D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:34:07 PM by AKULA »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #404 on: June 20, 2020, 12:08:50 PM »
Last night I performed surgery on a dragon...actually 3 dragons to be precise.

:)

I’d been thinking about the McFarlane Drogon...it’s just not intimidating enough.  The flying Viserion/Undead Viserion models are fine....it’s just the Drogon/Rhaegal model that looks a bit pants tbh....the head is tiny....Drogon would struggle to eat a chicken, let alone a horse, and I’m not a fan of the wing joints (ball/socket).

Then there is the Schleich Dragon I used as the basis of the figurehead on my Sell Sail vessel....

Massive head....one of the few dragon models that doesn’t have 2 pairs of legs with separate wings, BUT it’s wings are a bit stubby, and it’s got a ridiculous spiked tail.....

So, 20 minutes later, after a bit of sawing, pinning, gluing and putty, I came up with the following....

I used the Schleich toy as the basis of my new dragon, but cut back the wings, and the outer claw on each forearm, before pinning the Mcfarlane wings onto it, and filling the gaps with green stuff...one of the sections of wing membrane on the left wing is tucked in, hence the slightly raised wing shape....I’m going to base the model on a low rock, so I figure the dragon is shifting its position, hence the wings are partially extended, but also not open symmetrically.

The tail from the McFarlane dragon is pinned onto the Schleich model...conveniently the “fins” on the tail actually end at the point I made the cut...they don’t run all the way along the spine of the McFarlane model. I’ve also trimmed back the central scales running along the spine of the Schleich model.

The Schleich torso is from the original dragon, which I’d decapitated to create the ship’s figurehead, so I detached the head from a second (identical) Schleich dragon, at the base of the neck, to allow me to extend the neck of the new model. I also trimmed off the top horn from the head, to make it look a bit more like the GoT dragon.

Hopefully the paint job will tie the different parts together...I’m going to base it on some low profile rocks, but will tidy up the front claws at that stage.