Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:30:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg64 back from the dead  (Read 125348 times)

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg28 new giant/another ship & crew
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2020, 09:00:35 AM »
I randomly clicked on page 22  :o

Needless to say I wasnt disapointed! How long have yoy been working on this? Its a one man job?

Edit: sorry the answers to my questions was on page 1 lol! Inspirational stuff all around and cracking Giants  :o
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:14:42 AM by scatterbrains »

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #421 on: June 24, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
Great work as usual mate. You continue to inspire!

Thank you mate, kind of you to say  :)

It has been a while since I looked in here and ,well....BLOODY HELL!
Are you making the entire world?
 :o :o :o

Everything GoT you can think of is being made.

Top work all round by a bloke that does like to 'throw himself into' a project!
 8) 8)

Just beginning to wonder where you are going to store The Wall when you build it...?
 ;)

Well maybe not the whole world....just the interesting bits  :D

I am toying with a Westerosi Terrain project at the moment, but it isn’t the Wall  ;)

I randomly clicked on page 22  :o

Needless to say I wasnt disapointed! How long have yoy been working on this? Its a one man job?

Edit: sorry the answers to my questions was on page 1 lol! Inspirational stuff all around and cracking Giants  :o

Time seems to have flown by on this project, but it has been 20 months (Nov 2019)...unusually for me I haven’t been too distracted, although I do keep looking guiltily at the pile of Judge Dredd figures & terrain waiting for me at some point. The good thing about Game of Thrones is that there is plenty of material to keep me motivated .... 8 seasons of episodes on endless loop, a pretty good soundtrack...I’ve even started reading the books again when (like now) it’s too hot to paint.

You hit lucky with page 22, and the group shots by House - I’ve added a little index on page 1, for someone looking for the start of a particular House (pinched the idea off of Silent Invader’s Whitechapel thread).

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #422 on: June 24, 2020, 07:37:07 PM »
And now there is two ships.

Battle of Blackwater is nearing.. :D

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #423 on: June 27, 2020, 02:32:16 PM »
I always wanted one those Kogges for this very reason, and seeing yours just tipped me over the edge to finally get one. It will probably be the kickstart or a new start of my Westeros project!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #424 on: July 05, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
And now there is two ships.

Battle of Blackwater is nearing.. :D

Maybe.....  ;)

I always wanted one those Kogges for this very reason, and seeing yours just tipped me over the edge to finally get one. It will probably be the kickstart or a new start of my Westeros project!

Excellent, be sure to post some photos  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:19:25 PM by AKULA »

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #425 on: July 05, 2020, 05:41:23 PM »
Managed to get the first of my Golden Company finished today.

Bodies are Frostgrave Cultists, arms, and heads are Fireforge Byzantine infantry, and shields are from the Gripping Beast Arab box.  I quite liked the look of the Sellswords in the TV series, and thought the cultist robes would give more of an Essos-vibe.

It also helps that it’s a good use of existing sprues - the helmets are from the same sprues that I use for the Unsullied, the shields are from the Gripping Beast cavalry that I’m using for Dothraki, and I’ve plenty of cultist bodies left over after collecting the sickle swords...again for the Dothraki.

The commander has a pair for Cultist legs, with arms and torso from Perry medievals and a Westwind head.

There are some elephants in the pipeline, plus I’m going to think about what other units to represent... Cavalry etc

:)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:07:04 PM by AKULA »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg29 Golden Company
« Reply #426 on: July 05, 2020, 10:50:00 PM »
Great work! I really like how the officer looks especially!

How do you paint your yellow on the cloth there? It's turned out really well as a gold-yellow

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #427 on: July 06, 2020, 01:04:32 AM »
Are they gonna do some actual fighting or just die like in the show?  lol

Great idea using cultist bodies with that color for the Essos vibe!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #428 on: July 06, 2020, 03:40:02 AM »
They came out great!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #429 on: July 06, 2020, 10:52:38 AM »
Thanks everyone, glad you like them....took a while to get motivated for these, mainly because I wanted to come up with a decent colour scheme.

How do you paint your yellow on the cloth there? It's turned out really well as a gold-yellow

Bought some new paints especially...Citadel Base Averland Sunset (it’s quite a rich golden yellow), then a Citadel Gryphonne Sepia Wash (finally found a use for this one....had it sat there for years), then added some Coat d’arms Sun Yellow (much more yellow yellow) to a bit of Averland Sunset to highlight.

Are they gonna do some actual fighting or just die like in the show?  lol

Hopefully they will last longer than those in the TV show. When I get around to a campaign they give players another option, so I wouldn’t count on them facing off against a dragon....who knows, maybe Stannis will win the Westeros Lottery, and be able to afford them  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #430 on: July 06, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »
Cool! It's good to see that the, um... divisive way the series ended hasn't killed off peoples' interest in painting and gaming it. I must admit, I lost interest in the whole business for a while there. I am currently painting a Game of Thrones figure for the painting club right now, though.

Citadel Gryphonne Sepia Wash (finally found a use for this one....had it sat there for years),

It's funny how different we all are. That is probably the Citadel product I have used more than any other. Along with Devlan Mud it was my go-to wash. Must have used barrels of the stuff over the years. They replaced it with something else that had "sepia" in the name, and I am still using that in the same way. If it is a different colour I can't say I have noticed.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #431 on: July 06, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »
Oh I like those.
Much more like I imagined than the HBO version. Nice kitbashing  :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2020, 11:05:25 AM »
Yes, they work well  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
Cool! It's good to see that the, um... divisive way the series ended hasn't killed off peoples' interest in painting and gaming it. I must admit, I lost interest in the whole business for a while there. I am currently painting a Game of Thrones figure for the painting club right now, though.

Tbh, if Game of Thrones had been a one season wonder that had finished in the way that the series did, I’d understand it switching people off, but we got 8 seasons of largely entertaining viewing as an introduction to a rich fantasy world....the ending doesn’t really matter, in the same way that if you didn’t like the ending of Star War IX - Rise of Skywalker it probably want stop you gaming Star Wars (although thank god the finale wasn’t Phantom Menace).

Besides....I’ve got a mountain of stuff to work my way through  lol

It's funny how different we all are. That is probably the Citadel product I have used more than any other. Along with Devlan Mud it was my go-to wash. Must have used barrels of the stuff over the years.

Devlan Mud was always my go-to wash, but I’ve recently switched to Army Painter Strong Tone...just fancied trying something different.

Oh I like those.
Much more like I imagined than the HBO version. Nice kitbashing  :)

Thanks Richard...I still hold you responsible for my kitbashing addiction  ;)

Yes, they work well  8)

Cheers James - thank you also for your advice on baseboards ...along with Richard & Steve I regard you as my “hive-mind” for such matters ... have been assembling some materials, and expect to make a start shortly on some terrain boards

:)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:06:08 PM by AKULA »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
Well, as I was more interested in watching it than gaming it, I don't feel quite the same way, I'm afraid (not seen the new Star Wars, 20 years of being disappointed by that franchise has almost entirely driven me away).

But this is old ground, long gone over and done to death here. It is probably best that I just shut up rather than irresponsibly drag it all up again.  :)

Love all the kitbashing it brings out in everyone. Looking forward to seeing more going into the future.