Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:10:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg64 back from the dead  (Read 126499 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg33 Wildling War Mammoths
« Reply #495 on: August 05, 2020, 07:25:00 PM »
Yet again superb, love the cavalry! Your fur sculpting looks very good, any pointers on your technique?

The mammoths looks nice too, the Deezee mammoths are very nice need to grab a couple more myself soon!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #496 on: August 05, 2020, 08:33:17 PM »
Yet again superb, love the cavalry! Your fur sculpting looks very good, any pointers on your technique?

The mammoths looks nice too, the Deezee mammoths are very nice need to grab a couple more myself soon!

Thanks  :)

The fur couldn’t be easier really - main thing is to use a small point, the tip of a wire spear would do the trick...I made a little tool with a pin attached to an old paint brush.

Start at the bottom of the green stuff, and tease it downwards using the point (as long or as short as you want, to give short or long fur). I find it best to work around the figure completing one row, and then work on the next row above, otherwise you end up damaging the fur you’ve already done.

Depending upon how regular you tease out the GS, and how neat your rows will affect the look, so it’s really down to whether you want to represent a rich lords finest fur trim, or a scruffy cave dwellers flea-ridden old cape.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:52:00 PM by AKULA »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #497 on: August 06, 2020, 12:21:01 AM »
Warning though... Sculpting Green Stuff fur is addictive  lol

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #498 on: August 06, 2020, 07:49:11 AM »

It certainly is  lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #499 on: August 06, 2020, 01:37:59 PM »

It certainly is  lol

My name is Paul....and I am an addict.
 ;D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #500 on: August 07, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
The King Beyond the Wall continues to grow his army....another unit of 24 built and primed ready for painting. 

These are a mix of Frostgrave Barbarians, Soldiers, Copplestone Inuits (OOP), and even a CMON figure, albeit one that has had its arms and soft weapons replaced....basically whatever was on my workbench at the time.

Weapons are a mix of FG, Fireforge and Oathmark. Couple of metal Westwind heads for variety, and of course the obligatory GS fur.

Just another example of the complete lack of planning or control I have over this project....a week ago I was thinking I’d maybe paint 20-40 Perry’s during my week off....instead, so far, I’ve painted one very large dragon, and built/primed about 40 Wildlings, a chariot and a couple of Mammoths....still any progress is good progress

:)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #501 on: August 07, 2020, 07:19:56 PM »

Thanks  :)

The fur couldn’t be easier really - main thing is to use a small point, the tip of a wire spear would do the trick...I made a little tool with a pin attached to an old paint brush.

Start at the bottom of the green stuff, and tease it downwards using the point (as long or as short as you want, to give short or long fur). I find it best to work around the figure completing one row, and then work on the next row above, otherwise you end up damaging the fur you’ve already done.

Depending upon how regular you tease out the GS, and how neat your rows will affect the look, so it’s really down to whether you want to represent a rich lords finest fur trim, or a scruffy cave dwellers flea-ridden old cape.

Thanks, sounds interesting and the result looks great.

Nice conversion work on the new wildlings, interesting to see that the Inuits fit in the unit

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg34 even more Wildlings...
« Reply #502 on: August 07, 2020, 07:36:27 PM »

Just another example of the complete lack of planning or control I have over this project....a week ago I was thinking I’d maybe paint 20-40 Perry’s during my week off....instead, so far, I’ve painted one very large dragon, and built/primed about 40 Wildlings, a chariot and a couple of Mammoths....still any progress is good progress

The curse of miniature painting! Still amazing progress in just a week!

(And the Wildlings look great!)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #503 on: August 07, 2020, 08:46:26 PM »
Great work, yet again mate! Brilliant kitbashing.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #504 on: August 07, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
Been watching this project in awe.  Impressive all around.
Glad to see someone else who can flitter between projects as individual interests take hold.  I always feel like the only one when I see some project logs steadily moving along. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #505 on: August 08, 2020, 08:45:54 AM »
Thanks everyone, glad you like them   :)

Hopefully if it isn’t too hot today, I’ll actually get some of them painted.

Nice conversion work on the new wildlings, interesting to see that the Inuits fit in the unit

Thanks. The Inuits already have some fur, on their leggings, and trim around their hoods, so they are a good fit. They also sound pretty much what GRRM had in mind when he talks about the Frozen Shore tribe (minus the chariots)....”clad in seal skin”.

Been watching this project in awe.  Impressive all around. Glad to see someone else who can flitter between projects as individual interests take hold.  I always feel like the only one when I see some project logs steadily moving along.

Cheers - to be fair, the Perry’s were also meant for Game of Thrones...these days I’m focussed upon one big project.  My only other “active” project Judge Dredd is currently sat next/under my games table, as every surface is covered in piles of sprue, terrain, or figures in various states of assembly for GoT.

My flittering is from from House to another - fortunately GoT offers plenty of variety so that I can just progress one mini-project over another if I hit a mental roadblock.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:53:31 PM by AKULA »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #506 on: August 08, 2020, 09:15:54 AM »
They look great  :-*

Although I feel the time for Obsessive-compulsive therapy may be approaching  lol

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #507 on: August 09, 2020, 09:40:26 AM »

Don't think like that. It is hobby done right. You have to go where the muse takes you. Otherwise it becomes a chore and not hobby. I love this thread and following your work to bring all of Westeros to life.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #508 on: August 09, 2020, 09:42:23 AM »
Don't think like that. It is hobby done right. You have to go where the muse takes you. Otherwise it becomes a chore and not hobby. I love this thread and following your work to bring all of Westeros to life.

Well said Dr. Frede.

Worth remembering this  :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #509 on: August 09, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »
They look great  :-*

Although I feel the time for Obsessive-compulsive therapy may be approaching  lol

Thanks Richard. I probably should consider some sort of therapy, but it would take away from vital hobby time  ;)

Cheers!  :)

Well, my muse today told me to get the mounted Wildlings finished