Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review- Walking Dead: All Out War- Solo Starter  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Review- Walking Dead: All Out War- Solo Starter
« on: November 05, 2018, 09:58:59 PM »

I had heard some positive buzz about the Walking Dead: All Out War from Mantic and Skybound. One day I was at my FLGS, and I saw a copy of the game labeled as a Solo Starter Set. I had never really done too much Zombie gaming, except for a board game called Last Night on Planet Earth. I had a lot of fun with it. So, I impulse bought this set to give the game a try. I wanted to do more with Zombie gaming in the future with either Last Days or Dracula's America from Osprey anyway, so why not give this a go to compare.  After all 'tis the season!

You can see the first scenario set-up and ready to play. The game came with a short and simple instruction manual with three scenarios in it. It had everything you needed to play such as counters, spinners, ruler, and a few figures that I painted up in a night. The game had 5 walkers (Zeds, Zombies, Zs, Undead, corpses, C.H.U.D.'s, etc) and one hero figure. The material they made these guys with definitely needs a good wash and undercoat to accept paint. Thankfully, the Zombie genre practically begs for messier paint jobs.

You can read all of my findings and thoughts here: https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2018/11/review-walking-dead-all-out-war-solo.html

Edit: Updated the link
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:24:05 PM by Easy E »
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
Re: Review- Walking Dead: All Out War- Solo Starter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »
Your opinion might be biased by the fact that Prelude to Woodbury has a minimal content and pretty boring scenarios.

The Core Set has a much more content (six different characters for a start) for a few extra GBP and is totally playable solo.
It's in my opinion a much better bargain than the solo starter.

I only purchased this extension for extra dices and the minis.

Custom characters rules as well as campaign rules comes in one extension (Miles behind Us if I'm not wrong)
A fully developed campaign system is in the latest extension that I don't have yet.

Don't get me wrong getting into this game can be (very) expensive. But if, as it seems, you're not a Walking Dead Comics fan, then probably you can look at other ruleset and non licenses figures that would be cheaper.

BTW the correct link to your review is : https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2018/11/review-walking-dead-all-out-war-solo.html
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:18:38 AM by Treebeard »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
Interesting review.

I have to agree with Treebeard that Prelude has boring scenarios. I am not sure on the licence situation with the novel Road to Woodbury, but that might have been an inspiration for a set of linked scenarios/mini campaign.

A mini playmate would have been nice - a car park arrangement could have had the different board sizes.

Your comments about the dice are interesting, I understand your concerns but I understand the thinking, both for game play and IP protection.

I have both Prelude and All Out War. I found it easier to learn the rules with the Solo game - especially if you want to learn the rules before introducing it to your group.

The rules are simple enough to act as an introduction to wargaming.

I do think it is more of a table top miniatures game than a board game, I suppose the smaller table size (base board size is a 20 inch square) might make the observer think otherwise. I find the smaller size to be convenient.

The custom characters rules are in the Days Gone Bye expansion. I think you are right about the character development rules being in Miles Behind Us. Fighting in an enclosed space  is covered by Safety Behind Bars. The map campaign rules are in Fear the Hunters (wave five).

It is expensive, and with the licence, you can understand it.

If you want generic Zombie rules, there are plenty out there, but I have found TWD:AOW to be a fun system.

I am building custom survivors (mainly from Crooked Dice figures) for a solo campaign.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 04:43:23 AM »
I haven't played the game, yet, as I just recently purchased Prelude to Woodbury and am painting Brian Blake at the moment, but having read the rules I think they look fairly solid, as zombiecalyse games go.

I've played some Fear & Faith, and Dead Walk Again (and am looking forward to Ganesha Games publishing the zombie game that Sellswords & Spellslingers is a derivative of), and TWD is somewhat similar to DWA, just more rounded and 'polished', as far as I can tell.

As for replayablily, I think that this format where you are at complete liberty to alter the scenery and invent your own scenarios has much more to offer than a game with set boards or maps. The game is clearly aimed at the miniatures wargaming segment, and it would be strange otherwise, as this has been Mantic's core customer base from the very beginning, and I think it should be seen as a story/scenario driven skirmish game, just like Pulp Alley or Strange Aeons, for instance, just set in another time and circumstance.

Character creation and development being only available in separate (non-cheap) expansions is a bit annoying, of course, but TWD is hardly the only game out there requiring additional purchases for the full package, and reading the descriptions on Mantic's webstore quickly reveals which products contain what elements.

I agree that PtW has a limited scope, as it provides only one playable character, but combine it with DGB, and you can create whatever characters you like and have them fight their way through the zombie-infested lands, striving to complete whatever tasks you can think of.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »
Nice review. I am still working my through painting this set. But have the KS Edition set mostly painted.

I think if your starting out is whats cool is you can pick up a few character boosters to change up your character lines ups as well.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:36:49 PM »
I also like how there is not a massive buy in. Yes you have to pick up several sets which add different features or functions but I like that it far less heavy on the pocket.

Offline sleep when Im lead

• Bookworm
    • http://sleepwhenimlead.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »
I have really enjoyed playing bothe TWD: AOW and Last Days. There seems to be a lot of good stuff about he games, here, on blogs and YouTube. Both games do well and have different aspects that you could probably cobble together. The minis from the game are pretty good and are a good fit with a number of other manufacturers. On balance TWD is probably the better game and works well as a solo game. It gears itself up for easier play as most games come with 2d terrain. Last Days is a full on 3d gaming experience so takes a lot more work.

Given that it is based on the comics and not the TV show, I know a few people who are no as sold but I like the comics and the show so it's no problem for me.

There are plenty of extra rules in the other sets and I am looking forward to get hold of a copy of Here's Negan. 

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 09:09:13 AM »
Good points @Sleep.

Of course with the custom character rules from "Days Gone Bye", you can build characters from the television series, or other TV series (Sam and Dean Colt and Smith are in the 70+ points range plus weapons - I am going to need more Walkers).

Here's Negan! is fun, I had the figures on the painting table this weekend, but they are going to be out partially painted for another game this week.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 10:40:08 AM »
but they are going to be out partially painted for another game this week.

You can't let that happen :p

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
I found the models "dead quick" to paint.

I was disappointed in this solo starter, but I might look into adding a few of the expansions and see what happens.  The mechanics are simple and easy enough to teach/learn.