Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:49:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cult of paint Airbrush kickstarter  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
Cult of paint Airbrush kickstarter
« on: November 07, 2018, 12:56:47 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1319179391/airbrushes-for-miniature-painters-cult-of-paint

came across this kickstarter for an airbrush aimed at the miniature crowd, now I've been meaning to get an airbrush for a while now, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options, does anyone know if this is a good deal or at least not a bad deal, or is this the equivalent of GW slapping a logo on a waterpot? Anyone with any airbrush knowledge who has any insight? Is this something you would recommend to a beginner?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Cult of paint Airbrush kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 03:17:53 PM »
For the money you can get a better Iwata HP series. H&S are good brushes, these are gimmicky badges. Who cares about the “cult of paint”?

Also, no sizes are mentioned. I use a .2 needle, most people use .3 for bigger stuff.

This seems like a nice try, but I would pass and just go down to your shop and buy what you really need or want.

I airbrush almost every day; I use an HP-BH from Iwata. It was about $400. I justify that by the sheer volume I use my airbrush; I commission paint, both for individuals and businesses, so I’m semi? professional.

And don’t forget you’ll still need a compressor ...

My recommendation for anyone wanting an airbrush is a gravity fed, dual action brush, and I very much recommend the Iwata HP-C+ or B+. For most people the brush will far exceed what you can do with it. The C+ has a .3mm needle so is a bit more forgiving.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:56:01 PM by grant »
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 03:53:36 PM »
I'd have to agree with Grant way over priced for a hobby item especially as its just the brush.I've a couple of Aztec brushes.(for commission work)but rarely use them for hobby work. because their an absolute pain to clean.(needles are quite fragile).
For Hobby stuff I use a set bought from ebay (about six years ago and its been seriously abused even managed to accidentally pour super glue into the reservoir of one) for around £70 it came with three airbrushes and four some reason an extra brush (0.1 ,0.2,and two 0.3's) air line moisture trap,and compressor with regulator valve.In short a full rig.
In fact I often use it instead simply because it's far more forgiving.
Plus I absolutely detest the cleaning them (just the sheer amount of time it takes up during a working day.)
So for most hobby stuff I simply use a paint brush.

Mark.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »

That is rather overpriced for an H&S Infinity (it's a good brush for £160-ish, though their needles are a little fragile). Like Grant, I prefer Iwata brushes (mostly use an HP-CH, excellent, but not cheap).
 If you're looking for a decent place to start there are a few I'd say were good starter brushes: the H&S Ultra, the Iwata Neo & a number of Sparmax brushes - all around the £60 mark.
 Of course, as TSG says, that's not going to be your only expense - firstly the compressor: better to get one with an integral tank of 2+ litres, so you're looking at around £100+ (though sometimes you can get lucky).
 A good airbrush cleaner is vital: Ultimate Aibrush & Medea are all fairly easy to get hold of (though you can use isopropol alchohol - sometimes called 'rubbing alchohol' - it's cheap, but you want to make sure the room is well ventilated). Also get thinners appropriate to the brand of paint you're using (sometimes brands don't like each other & can make a mess of your careful paintjob) - generally if you're using Vallejo use their thinners, the same goes for Mig, AK, GW etc.
 Then it's a good idea to think about what you're going to be using it for, the techniques for painting large stuff like scenery & vehicles are simpler to acquire than using the brush on figure models, but all will take a little bit of time.
  Hope that's of some use :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 01:02:03 AM »
I dont think that this is a very good deal. If you shop around you can get better price for these same airbrushes. I dont have any experience with h&s airbrushes, but they have generally good reviews and an interesting nozzle system that appears to make cleaning and changes more easy and safe in comparison with more sensitive constructions like iwata.

I own an iwata hpc+, an iwata eclipse and a Thayer and chandler vega or as i call it "the dog of war" as it can spray anything from paint to concrete  lol. Generally in airbrushes, what you pay is what you get. For example you can understand easily the difference of quality between the hpc and vega, just by holding them. My advice is to avoid the iwata neo line all together. They are no real iwata but BY iwata, their parts are too fiddly and they use rubber orings in the nozzle just like those cheep chinese ones. In time those orings will swollen causing nozzle misalignment and other problems that if you are willing to take on better pay just 20 euros instead of 80 and get a Chinese hp copy.

Also if you use real acrylic paint like vallejo, citadel, etc DO NOT use isopropyl or any other kind of alcohol unless you want a gummy mess. Tamiya, gunze and the new mig real color line, are not real acrylics and those can be thinned with alcohol window cleaner or solvents. The best cleaner i have used is the vallejo one. I have the iwata one, but its not good for every brand. It will clean. iwata acrylics, golden fluid paint, tube artists acrylics, tamiya, gunze stuff but not vallejo and citadel.