Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:06:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Traveller Vanguard Miniatures Game  (Read 5846 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (Kickstarter) Traveller Vanguard Miniatures Game
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 11:11:06 PM »
The neat thing about the Traveller universe was that it seemed almost unlimited (quite like the Universe ! ) .  Although Impies vs. Zhodani certainly was a continuing trope, there was a myriad of factions (some engaged in civil war) and you could throw in as opposing forces Vagr pirates, Aslan troopers, K'kree (militant herbivores !), Droyne, Hivers (well, really mercenaries hired by Hivers - so they could be from any race), Davians (humans of a slightly lower tech than either Imps or Zhodani), Sword Worlders (more humans, of a somewhat lower technology rating than Imperials, Zhodani or Davians), and a host of lesser races (i.e. those without jump technology).  I agree that Striker (the mass ground combat rules) certainly seemed designed for 15mm (and many were the plastic tank models converted to grav tanks and other hover vehicles), but the original roleplaying game certainly could be played at 25/28 mm.

One of the (very, very old) campaigns I played in had the group of PCs get involved (via a really bad misjump) with an impending invasion of known space by an alliance of photosynthetic and ergovore species (ie plant critters, mostly).  They'd run into the K'Kree, who as we all know are militant vegetarians, and things had gone...badly.  Really, really badly.  It was funny to see the centaurs getting their holier-than-thou dietary elitism jammed down their throat by an even more legitimately irritated bunch of aliens, but the alliance didn't plan on stopping with stomping through K'Kree space and humanity is regrettably omnivorous by nature, so that was a problem.  :)

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
You forgot the Solomani, though the least said about them the better (Ramshackle Empire).

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »
Must admit I wasn’t a fan of this primarily due to the scale (the mongoose thing I’m undecided about). I know it’s old school but somehow traveller is welded to 15mm in my mind.

And 15s fit nicely on the Ashanti High Lightning maps!

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 06:43:10 PM »
That’s the thing - while as kids we had a few citadel spacefarer figs, what we really wanted were those 15mm figs in the box set. You can do Traveller in 28mm but I suspect the core target public would support 15mm.

Also, Traveller isn’t all about Naval boarding actions, there’s salvage, hijack to name but two and for me it’s far more a paramilitary game of ex service characters than regulars.

A different figure mix - smaller forces with Vargr & Aslan there from the off would have got my attention