Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:06:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686651
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 813
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: War of the Wolf  (Read 9074 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: War of the Wolf
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 06:13:04 PM »
Weirdly, the books of his I actually liked the best was a series of three or four yachting based thrillers set in the here and now. Well, 25 years ago when they came out and I read them. I preferred them to the Sharpe series. Haven’t read any of the later Dark Age genre series...

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
The sailing thrillers were pretty good and different. My problem is simply that I always “hear” Uhtred talk like Ned “Sean Bean” Sharpe.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 01:39:18 AM »
As Roger says really. It will be interesting to see how the Saxon series continues with the Uhted character being too old to be warrior.

Christian Cameron’s Long War series (set during the Greco-Persian Wars) and God of War (a novelised biography of Alexander the Great) are outstanding.

As for Arthurian novels, Jack Whyte’s King Arthur series is a great read.

Never heard of any of these.  Will take a look at the Christian Cameron books.
The one star reviews on Amazon for the Jack White books were a laugh:
"it's full of weird sex scenes"  - crickey, no wonder it's a great read.
Best of all:
" I actually like sex and violence".  I wonder whether he likes this at the same time?

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 07:36:34 AM »
I've been a great fan of Cornwell over the years. I don't believe the £5m figure. I think that's probably about the amount he's got from book sales to me. I'm afraid, though, that The  War of the Wolf is the first of his books I've been really disappointed by. It struck me as drawing the story out for the sake of another book.
He's not a young man, I fear that his increased output of late is trying to tie up loose ends and finish the Uhtred story - although that doesn't explain his bizarre (but strangely enjoyable) side-step into the world of Elizabethan theatre.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »
I loved the Elizabethan story, not least because at about the same age as the main character I played the same part in my first Shakespearian play. Its a fantastic read, if surprising.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk