Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:42:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Austrian (and other) Napoleonics  (Read 5167 times)

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
Austrian (and other) Napoleonics
« on: November 08, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
Hello, all.

Yet another long-running project of mine that has come along in fits and start, Napoleonics.  Some of these were painted quite a few years ago using the dip method, which seemed appealingly simple at the time but which in the end was dissatisfying.  So I have updating/retouching, rebasing, and expanding battalions and armies, starting first with my beloved Austrians.

2nd battalion, IR15 "Baron von Zach," which played a notable role at Aspern.

1st battalion, IR49 "Baron von Kerpen"

Grenzregiment 9 "Peterwardeiner, " advancing in loose order on rough ground and making contact with the enemy.

Grenadierbattalion von Scharlach, composed of the grenadiers from IRs 31 "Benjowsky," 32 "Eszterhazy," and 51 "Splenyi."

More to follow in a few days.  C&C welcome.  If the photos are too large, let me know, and I will reduce the size.
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
Re: Austrian (and other) Napoleonics
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
Wow... :o
They look beautiful.

Cheers,
Don

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »
Lovely!! Superb work, really something to be proud off. :)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
Splendid, I really like the Austrian army, you have done a splendid job on those.

I am currently putting together a painting chart to share with everybody on my blog. I enjoy painting Austrians and plan to build my victrix and front rank army over winter.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Peter d

• Bookworm
    • The Single Handed Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »
Very nice work.  I especially like the grenzers. :)
Been playing with toy soldiers since the mid 70s.  Not planning to grow up any time soon.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 05:59:08 PM »
First rate paintjob! I especially like the grenadiers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Admiral Hawke

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 04:56:06 PM »
Wow. Superb figures, beautifully painted. The Grenz officer looks quite the dandy with his brown coat with pink cuffs, Hungarian blue trousers and gold sash. A splendid looking fellow, as is his command.

Like a few of the others, I have to say I think the Hungarian grenadiers are the outstanding unit, but they are only the best of a glorious bunch. (How did one of them come by a gold bayonet? Was it some glorious deed for the Emperor?!  ;) )

Thank you for sharing. :-)

Offline Sheepman

• Librarian
    • The Northumbrian Wargamer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
Very nice indeed, well worth the effort. It's funny how as you progresses through your wargaming life looking at a collection done many years ago you can find them a bit unsatisfying, I am in the same boat and re doing all of my French Rev collection. I don't know what they looked like before but wow they look great now!
Dave.
\'I raised myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty\'.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 10:24:21 PM »
Thank you very much to all for the kind and encouraging comments!  I am very gratified to read them.

Very nice indeed, well worth the effort. It's funny how as you progresses through your wargaming life looking at a collection done many years ago you can find them a bit unsatisfying, I am in the same boat and re doing all of my French Rev collection. I don't know what they looked like before but wow they look great now!
Dave.

Thanks very much, Dave. I know what you mean about looking back over one's modeling/wargaming career. As a matter of fact I feel rather ashamed of how lazy (or so it seems to me now) I'd been with my Napoleonics several years ago.  But it's quite rewarding to refurbish them.  I hope you will share with us your French Rev collection as well.

Wow. Superb figures, beautifully painted. The Grenz officer looks quite the dandy with his brown coat with pink cuffs, Hungarian blue trousers and gold sash. A splendid looking fellow, as is his command.

Like a few of the others, I have to say I think the Hungarian grenadiers are the outstanding unit, but they are only the best of a glorious bunch. (How did one of them come by a gold bayonet? Was it some glorious deed for the Emperor?!  ;) )

Thank you for sharing. :-)

Thank you!  I quite like the Grenzer officer too - so much in fact that I am thinking of getting another to use as a staff officer.  As for the golden bayonet, I think I just forgot to highlight it after a wash.  Thanks for pointing this out, I had completely missed it.  Although the idea of receiving a golden bayonet is funny enough that I might just leave it.

4th battalion, Vienna Volunteers, which, like its sister battalions, distinguished itself throughout the period and especially in 1809.   Note the absence of sash on the officer and the pointed cuffs, characteristics of volunteer uniforms. Also the Schuezten at the end of the line, in greatcoats.

In 1809 the Vienna Volunteers were issued with older versions of the Ordinarfahne that had been stored in depots.  Note also the distinctive and unusually gaudy uniform of the drummer, which I found in an old Austrian print.  He was converted from some Nassauer, I forget which.

Hope you like 'em!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 06:03:38 AM »
Exceptional job! Very nice grey tone and crispy neat painting!
Congrats! Also your flags are superb! Cheers!

Offline Utgaard

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »
Absolutely nice painted, these Austrians!

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 05:59:18 PM »
Nice unit the volunteers, really nice!!

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »

Exceptional job! Very nice grey tone and crispy neat painting!
Congrats! Also your flags are superb! Cheers!

Thank you!  The flags are (so far) just photocopies of the ones in the uniform guide that comes with the Perry box.

Nice unit the volunteers, really nice!!
Absolutely nice painted, these Austrians!

Thanks, gents.

A base of sappers.  Not really sure what made them different from Pioniere, but they have a nice uniform.  Basic Perry plastics with plasticard shovels, GS plumes and pompoms, and the knucklebows cut off the sabers.  Oh, and the gaiters trimmed down into boots.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 08:06:23 PM »
Hussar Regiment #6 "Blankenstein"

These are refurbished from an early painting effort several years ago.  A very striking uniform all in all, I think.

In order to represent the smaller Austrian regiments, generally of three divisions of two squadrons each, I use only six riders, which matches one figure per squadron (also cuts down costs).

Might have some French up next.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 08:51:20 AM »
Lovely Hussars, really nice work and such a lovely uniform. :)