Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First game of Pikeman's Lament  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Roed

• Student
First game of Pikeman's Lament
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »

Last night we had our first game of Pikemans Lament. We had to basic lists of TYW Swedes led by Kaptajn BarseBäck against Imperialists led by Helmut von Grünehosen (Trait. So great and arrogant that his men did not listen to him – no leadership benefit to order & moral test)

Swedes:
1 Aggressive elite Gallopers (with officer)
1 Aggressive Gallopers
1 Pike
2 Shots
1 Commanded shot

Imperialist:
2 Trotters (one with officer)
2 Shot
2 Pike

Scenario: Gå På (task: rout/kill the opponent). Not too much terrain so as to test the basis rules.

I think the rules worked really well. It is a frustration that you never know when your turn ends, but in my mind that is also part of what gives the game flavor.

Both companies advanced to get into action. The Swedes being a little reluctant to move in the beginning.  The Shot units exchanging fire forcing the Swedish left back. The imperialist followed up with trotters but ended up being destroyed by a combination of shot and Gallopers. Helmut von Grünhosen found himself all alone in the end, abandoned by his men (dead) and fell victim to a Swedish salvo. 

The imperialist Pike in the center advanced cautiously to try to make the Swedish gallopers charge. This succeeded. Kaptajn Barsebäck led his me in a wild charge. The outcome however was that after two rounds of combat the pike fled leaving a hole in the imperial center. Not really the plan.

The imperialist tried to push the pikes on the right wing and followed up with a unit of trotters. However to no use. The left  flank collapsed and even though Kaptajn Barsebäck also fled the field the battle ended with a Swedish victory (points lost: imperial 16, Swedes 14).

Great game. We are certainly going to try this again. I really like the Pike & shot feeling without having mass battles that require hundreds of miniatures. 

Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
—General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: First game of Pikeman's Lament
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 06:00:48 AM »
Great looking game. I recently had another game of it and really enjoyed it.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »
Well done.
We have had great fun with these rules.
Flatpack

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »
A very nice looking game. I have also had some great games using these rules.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 10:07:25 PM »

Great game. We are certainly going to try this again. I really like the Pike & shot feeling without having mass battles that require hundreds of miniatures.

Our group had the same feelings. It was easy to get a few units painted up and get started into the period very quickly with these rules, and all our games have been fun.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 11:34:34 PM »
Something about it looks just right as well. A few groups of pike and shotte facing off, with some horse galloping about? Perfect! Considering that we're in this hobby to have fun, if this game offers a great and fun way into the period then it's awesome!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 02:51:18 AM »
Something about it looks just right as well. A few groups of pike and shotte facing off, with some horse galloping about? Perfect! Considering that we're in this hobby to have fun, if this game offers a great and fun way into the period then it's awesome!
I experimented with trying to combine pike and shot units and although the rules I cooked up worked OK (not perfect) it looked kind of weird.