Forum > General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

Mailing mysteries of the Great White North - Canadian postal issues

(1/8) > >>

Cubs:
There's a mysterious problem that's been affecting myself and Westfalia Miniatures over the last few months. Kawe at Westfalia has been trying to send me parcels of miniatures for painting, but every single one of them has failed to arrive. It's got to be 4 or 5 packages now have just disappeared.

He's based in Canada now and is adamant he has filled in my address and the sender address properly (with big stickers no less) and the customs declaration … but they are just not getting to me. He doesn't send the parcels with tracking because of the expense, so there's no way to track it that way.

Has anyone else had problems getting parcels from Canada Post to the UK's Royal Mail and if so, do you have any insights as to what might be happening and how to find the missing boxes?

bong-67:
Hi,
Canada Post is undergoing a series of postal strikes which is causing a lot of disruption and it's been happening for a while.  It could be that your parcels are caught up in the backlog/disruption.
All the best,
George.

tin shed gamer:
I sent something to Fram. Last month and was advised at my post office (uk)to wait a week as Airmail was " propper screwed and backed up" At the Canadian end.The following Monday they'd promised in bound Airmail would be back on track.
Fram got his stuff on time so it seemed to work from this direction . Other than that I'd recommend chasing it from the Canadian side.

Mark.

Andrew Rae:
***Edit: This is a separate issue that has been ongoing for at least a year. Two threads regarding Canadian postal issues were merged.***

I spent a long time emailing back and forth with Royal Mail asking them to put some information on their website about the Canada Post delays. It looks like they've finally done it (though they don't mention that Canada Post don't track 'Tracked and Signed' within Canada):

--- Quote from: Royal Mail ---What's the issue?
As previously advised, Canada Post have notified us that they are experiencing delays to delivery services due to high volumes of incoming mail. Delivery aims for Royal Mail services for Canada are normally 5-7 working day, however, International Standard and International Tracked & Signed are severely delayed, taking 3-4 weeks to be delivered.

What alternative is there?
If you have been posting using our Royal Mail 'Tracked and Signed service', we highly recommend you use our 'Tracked service' option which is providing much speedier processing and delivery times. Simply select the correct service and label. If you are not set up on our Tracked service, please talk to your usual Royal Mail contact who will help you with the next steps. Finally for our Customers using the Post Office to send your items, simply ask for a "Tracked service" at the counter.

A note about Customs in Canada
Whilst Customs clearing processing times are totally outside our control, it is worth remembering that Canada is one the countries with the lowest de-minimis of 20 Canadian Dollars (circa £11). This means that any goods equal or above that value will systematically go through a clearance process thus creating additional delays. Most of what our customers send is under DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid) meaning that the recipient is responsible to pay any duty or taxes. Read more on our country guide page royalmail.com/canada, thank you.
--- End quote ---

https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5317/~/international-incidents-update

'International Tracked' to Canada is a great service, really quick, but it's the only way I'd post something to Canada right now.

Cubs:
Thanks guys, I guess the strike is the prime suspect here then, I didn't know it was going on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version