Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:36:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Age of Sail - Gigabytes Games Day - Kiss Me Hardy Game  (Read 861 times)

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
    • Wargamers Odds and Ends
Age of Sail - Gigabytes Games Day - Kiss Me Hardy Game
« on: November 12, 2018, 05:30:26 PM »
I had a chance to write up a tiny little bit of a recent historical games day that happened at Gigabytes Cafe in Marietta, Ga over the weekend. There were 16 games that were run during the course of the day. 

One of the two games that I ran was a Kiss Me Hardy game with some modifications for ships under the rate that I have been working on. The game was a success (in my opinion at least).  I wrote up the game report here: https://cstoesen.blogspot.com/2018/11/giga-historical-games-day.html

I have a couple of picture as well. The miniatures are all 1/300th. They are a mix of Sea Dog Studios, Warartisan and Langton Miniatures.  The Langton ships are the two tiny South Carolina Navy vessels, Sea Dog minis are the Georgia Navy Sloop and the merchantman. And the two Warartisan ships were the Royal Navy vessels.

I owe a debt of gratitude to the KMH FB group for the navigation aids that someone posted.  The wind compass and heading gauge were invaluable in teaching the game to five folks that had never heard of Kiss Me Hardy before.

Here are a couple of shots from the game:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:52:36 PM by cstoesen »
Chris Stoesen

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Re: Age of Sail - Gigabytes Games Day - Kiss Me Hardy Game
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »
Nice post , Chris , good to see the Lardies Kiss me Hardy rules in action. Having had a squint at your blog I,d be interested in the scenarios you,ve been working on for them , are they available as a pdf download ?

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »
Not quite yet.  I want to make some changes based on this game and then I will work with Rich and Nick to get them availible.

Chris

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
Good looking game.  The Langton models are wonderful little kits, the others I have not seen in person, how do they compare in terms of detail and finesse?

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 03:34:43 PM »
The Langton's by far have the best details. The larger ships (Brig, cutter, xebec and sloop) are the most expensive options out there. His smaller vessels (http://www.rodlangton.com/napoleonic/frame.htm) are very nice.  I have his sailed jolly boat (which is TINY), British gunboat, yawl and launch are really nice models.  I do not like the brass sails. I had issues folding them properly and ended up replacing half of them with paper. A nice item is that they have a small crew pack with these tiny ships. I didn't bother with the crew as it would be one more item to break and fall off of them.

Sea Dog miniatures (http://seadoggamestudios.storenvy.com/collections/1527164-sailpower-6mm-scale-ship-kits) tend to be a bit chunkier but they are also built to be handled. Their design philosophy is that they provide bare masts that can be removed as damage is accrued. You don't need sails as 90% of the time, what else sail plan you had added to your model will be wrong for the circumstances. They have nice detail and paint up very well. They have some new row boats but you have to make masts and sails for them if you want to go that route.

Warartisan (http://warartisan.com/ships/1300_scale_ships) are paper models so while you would think they would appear a bit flat, at arms length, and the size of the model, you can't really tell that. The more details you add (rigging) the better they look and more sturdy they are.  The best part is, he offers several free models for you to try out before you buy.  And at $5/model, they are the most cost effective solution there is. He doesn't have launches and pilot boats but does have some smaller schooners and the like up to a three masted sloop of war.

In all, I like all 3 manufacturers. I have more of the Warartisan ships than I have made. He has a 1/600th line and a 1/900th line as well.  He is still developing his lines actively and is coming out with some middle eastern and Indian Ocean ships soon.