Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:24:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best Dunlendings scale wise for GW  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
Best Dunlendings scale wise for GW
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »
Any ideas on what minis would work well for Dunlendings, scale wise with the current GW stuff? I like the GW stuff but the poses are limited and they are hard to find in number.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Best Dunlendings scale wise for GW
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 05:53:11 PM »
You could look at Warlord Games ancient Germans,they may fit the bill,lots of furs and hair,should match size wise  :)

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:07:19 PM »
Frostgrave Barbarians

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »
Dunlendings, or Wild Men of Dunland?

For Dunlendings, they are very much like historical Viking miniatures with a little more wear & tear than normal, so I think Victrix's upcoming plastic Vikings would probably look great starting point. Black Tree Design armored Vikings and Saxons would probably also be good options.

For Wild Men, the aforementioned ancient Germans are good for the reasons laid out already, although a lot of GW's minis wear kilts and sashes, so maybe Ebob's highlanders with greenstuffed furs? Dark ages Scots/Irish ranges might also be a good place to look.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 11:30:57 PM »
MERP describes a very Celtic looking Dunland, and Celts is what I'll be using.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 11:40:24 PM »
I plan to use other figures for my Dunlendings also, and it should be quite easy to as the Perry scuplted LOTR stuff has quite realistic
proportions like a lot of Histroical ranges.

I am going to use a mix of the following:
https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/franks-and-saxons
http://www.eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_142&sort=3a
https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/
Some of the Eureka and Footsore stuff will work well for Rohirrim aswell.

Hope this helps.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 11:44:15 PM »
MERP describes a very Celtic looking Dunland, and Celts is what I'll be using.

The Rohirrim are called "strawheads" by the Dunlendings and are often said to be like the Saxons.  So if the Rohirrim are blond north German-types, I would think of the Dunlendings being pre-Anglo-Saxon Brythonic peoples.  So Celts may be fine.  I also wonder about Picts.  It has been ages since I have read LotR, so I could be wrong, but I think it unlikely that Dunlendings wore much armour.

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:46:51 PM »
I realise there is another aspect to your question - one relating to size compatibility. The GW figures are much smaller/finer.  Would older, smaller 28mm and 25mm work better?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:20:55 AM by Ethelred the Almost Ready »

• Mastermind

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 12:38:31 AM »
The Rohirrim are called "strawheads" by the Dunlendings and are often said to be like the Saxons.  So if the Rohirrim are blond north German-types, I would think of the Dunlendings being pre-Anglo-Saxon Brythonic peoples.  So Celts may be fine.  I also wonder about Picts.  It has been ages since I have read LotR, so I could be wrong, but I think it unlikely that Dunlendings wore much armour.

The Unfinished Tales has a description of the Battle at the Fords of Isen between Rohan and Isengard, and in it it mentions that the Dunlendings are the only ones tall enough to threaten the Rohan shieldwall, but that Rohan still had the advantage as the Dunlendings weren’t armoured due to the Orc armour not fitting them. So unarmoured for the most part would be right :)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 12:46:35 AM »
The Unfinished Tales has a description of the Battle at the Fords of Isen between Rohan and Isengard, and in it it mentions that the Dunlendings are the only ones tall enough to threaten the Rohan shieldwall, but that Rohan still had the advantage as the Dunlendings weren’t armoured due to the Orc armour not fitting them. So unarmoured for the most part would be right :)
Going slightly off topic. Who was armed with pikes at that battle? Orcs or Dunlendings?

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 06:08:02 AM »
Early in the First Battle of the Fords of Isen Theodred made an attack on the western forces of Saruman, hoping to catch them on the march.  Instead he came across stiff resistance. "The enemy was in fact in positions prepared for the event, behind trenches manned by pikemen...."
I think if these pike armed troops were orcs he would have used different language.  So it seems, unlike the movies, the pike armed troops were men.

Of more interest are the troops that later attacked Theodred on the eyot.
"......there appeared a company of men or orcmen (evidently dispatched for the purpose), ferocious, mail-clad, and armed with axes".
"... he saw the axe-men driving Theodred's men from the shore of the eyot...".
So here we have the term axe-men used for a group that man be men or orcmen.  Does this mean the pikemen could also be orcmen?
Later it is written, "As he came to his side Theodred fell, hewn down by a great orc-man".

So there could be some interesting troop types.  Heavily armoured orcmen with axes, pike armed troops - either men or orcmen, orcs, bigger Uruks, and Dunlendings.  There is also mention of Dunlendish hillmen.  Possibly the hillmen are armed differently form the other Dunlendings?

I think the pikemen were used for a very specific situation and that these troops may not have been properly trained in the use of these weapons (only being used in prepared defensive positions). There is no further mention of them.  I would have them as unarmoured, possibly not the pick of Saruman's troops, and unable to maneouvre properly.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:24:58 AM by Ethelred the Almost Ready »

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
I like eBob Scotts from the Rebellion range for Dunlendings, their height is pretty much spot on. They'd fit right in with the few GW Dunlending rebels I have, kilts and all. Maybe a few weapon swaps etc.?

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »
How about Mithril's dunlending range?

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 10:51:35 AM »
If I was to represent the pikemen I’d go unarmoured hillmen types with a spear thrust in the hands and ordered to stand in line behind the trenches by some chieftain type or Orc overseer. I like the look of these Romano British spearman from Gripping Beast for that purpose.

https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/ABR09_British_Spearmen_4--product--3120.html

https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/ABR10_British_Spearmen_Thrusting_4--product--3121.html