Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Terrain Project  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Stark2004

• Schoolboy
Fantasy Terrain Project
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:38:49 AM »
Some background, I have been working on this project in some shape or form since 2012. Recently running into resin shrinkage issues and keeping ability for pieces to fit together I switched to a 3d printed solution. I have a prusa mk3, all prints typically done at .15mm lifts.

The genesis of this project was that I always loved, win or lose, a good game between two painted armies on great terrain. I have over the years played Mordhiem, Warhammer, LOTR, Malifaux, Frostgrave and othe rfantasy settings. One thing that bothered me was that after a while it seemed all tables ended up being flat planes with hills or building or Forrest plopped on them. I thought how cool would it be to have a table that was fully modular in not only x-y plane but also z plane. So that is how it started. (By the way please move this to workbench if this is where this belongs, but I figure this is fantasy terrain and I told myself I was getting a painted table before I start relic blade, Rangers of Shadow Deep or frostgrave armies)

Anyway here are a first few pictures of where I am at. As I get more components and start to paint I will post them each week. This week I am working on first stump insert and flat ground insert. Also looking at some options for treating the PLA prints to hide the print striations. Have three / four options I am deciding between.

Here are my surface (visible) components, all the ground level snap together then the vertical components snap fit.

The shapes thus far, various vertices rise. ~ 1 1/4”, insert hole is 30mm.

Hill#1

Hill#2

Hill#3

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Fantasy Terrain Project
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 01:38:27 AM »
Can't wait to see more of them. How long does each tile take to print?
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 01:48:08 AM »
Modular Hexes have always been an interesting temptation, though I think that were I to ever go that route I would have quite large hexes, perhaps as big as 8 inches or even 1 foot across, along with some larger pieces which are multihex (3x in one, 5x in one, etc.).

Judging by the paint cans behind them, it seems your hexes are a fairly good size though, certainly.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:49:50 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Stark2004

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:16:52 AM »
@Operator5 take about 4-5 hours depending on the print for a single been printing in batches of four when chance arises. 5% infill with support as you can’t see but there is an under cut in each hex to help snap in. Support ensures the shape is level and everything snaps snuggly.

@FramFranson dimensions are about 4” point to pint, very close to 105mm if I recal. I selected his dimension to be able to get the height. Right now I get roughly 1.25” per hex. When I looked at 8” it became kind of unwieldy at 28mm scale to get significant height with out too many different geometric configurations.  I have some that will rise two high “units” high (~2.5” in the same footprint.  I am still sculpting to send of my guy who digitized them for me.  I will tell you it has been a long process getting dimensions and geometry to work out! The double rises  are a ways out though. Want to get all my single level rises done digitized printed and painted first!

Will be experimenting this weekend on filling prints with:
A) two coats lodge lodge
B) xtc-3d
C) rustoleum gap filling primer
D) this satin / color spray paint combo I found on internet.

Going to see which works best then paint up some mock up color schemes.

Offline Stark2004

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 03:38:48 AM »
Ok an update! 5 month olds put a damper on hobby time!

Finished up a tree stump insert! The tolerances are perfect for snap fit too coming off the printer.

Sorry upside down?!

I set drilled a hole in the stump for a tree insert and then did a test piece in snow theme. Trying to decide what to paint a set of hills as.

Next steps are finish a rock insert and a flat insert, then make one more component that supports having two hills be able to snap fit together for more options.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 03:46:28 AM »
These are fantastic. I love the tree insert.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 04:09:15 AM »
Those are great. I love it!

Offline Stark2004

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:24:23 AM »
Printer was productive today and i was able to print several of my first “rock/boulder” inserts.
the piece is only 30mm across but has over a 100k mesh triangles and clean up took a little longer than I planned.

I want to share a Couple of picture that show what the pieces look like with full inserts and also illustrate how the components are modular.

Here is first picture of three hills w/ inserts, same as previous posts. Ruler on right hand side extreme of image is 24” long.

Here is picture with pieces combined.

Same two shots from another angle, ruler for size clearer:

Next up is previously mentioned component to allow me to combined pieces in concave between hexes.

Offline Stark2004

• Schoolboy
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 01:50:07 AM »
Found some time to prime and paint. First hill all donenuo except for matte finish.

Rock only inserts

Tree stump inserts with some hobby trees

Another angle
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:52:04 AM by Stark2004 »