Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pop's Dilemma aka Looking for Your 2 Cents Worth/Advice  (Read 946 times)

Offline pops

• Scientist
    • Wargamers PX
Pop's Dilemma aka Looking for Your 2 Cents Worth/Advice
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:13:28 AM »
Call me naïve, call me dumb, call me Ishmael, however I am looking for some sound advice…

I am in the process very soon of introducing the first wave of a pulp line that contains 33 figures – so it’s a pretty serious undertaking, regarding work accomplished thus far, sculpting, casting, painting, and yikes a bit of cash was used in getting to this point.

Having been a wargamer for most of my life – (got my first set of Scruby figures 52 years ago!) After ahem a couple years late...I wanted to do more – something that wasn’t quite on a grand scale – something along the lines of skirmish or pulp where one figure represents one real person.

So, I decided upon this line, it is a line that to the best of my knowledge has not been represented yet.  So, the uniqueness is there.  Is anyone going to be interested – hmmm… that remains to be seen,

Here is my dilemma – where do I go from here – a Kickstarter?  While I could do this I am not really looking for funding to create a new line – I have already done that.  If I did do a Kickstarter it would obviously be to introduce the line, try to recover some of my substantial costs, and collect funds for further development of the line.  So it would not be a Kickstarter in the classic sense it would be more of a Kick Enabler or Kick Continuator (for future releases to the line).  And frankly from what I have read thus far it is a little intimidating....

Or do, I go with a my own subscription set up to the line?  Sort of the same deal as the Kickstarter regarding price discounts over retail and goal rewards – but done without the clout of a huge well tried and true money raiser (if you do most things right).

Or go with the old fashioned way and just set up an online retail store –which has already been done.

The big 800 pound gorilla in the room is how best does a little guy starting out get the word out that he has something unique that gamers might want to try and enjoy?

Any and all advice/responses welcome….

I can’t tell you too much more as there is still some product being sculpted and needs to be cast – but it will be soon.

Thanks,

Frank
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:18:16 AM by pops »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pop's Dilemma aka Looking for Your 2 Cents Worth/Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 03:50:10 AM »
I’ve seen some KS that blow away all expectations and some that should but fall flat.

Try a KS with a reasonable target, but make sure you have desirable stretch goals to get people trying to hit them. You might succeed, you might not. Remember to spread the word everywhere and anywhere. Have someone paint a few minis professionally and show off what they could be.

And then hope it works. If it doesn’t, like you said, you’ve already invested.

Good luck!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 06:41:06 AM »
I'll preface this by saying that my only knowledge comes from participating in a number of Kickstarters myself. I've not run, nor even seen the inner workings of one.

I would suggest it depends on how much of a commitment you're willing to make. Do you feel able to cope with having to fulfil (hopefully) 50-100 orders over a relatively short space of time, plus deal with the inevitable ones which go astray, or whatever. There's no better way to tank your business than a bad kickstarter. I was part of a kickstarter where the figures were a good year or two late with limited communication from the guy running it. I did eventually get them - but I shan't be doing business with them again given their performance then. I understand there to have been some mental health issues, potentially relating to the kickstarter, that slowed things down, but be that as it may.

Obviously, kickstarter has a great way of making your company well known rapidly. Often the backers spread word themselves since they want to see it funded to get the shiny stuff. There is also the ability to (as I would understand it) recoup your investment pretty rapidly.

By contrast, if you go for the standard online store thing, I would imagine the initial period to be very slow indeed. You'll also have to work very, very hard, if not spam social media and forums, to get the word out that you have new shinies available. There is one gentleman who covered my facebook feed for months with his new 6mm terrain business. Every other day it seemed he was showing off a completely building, or progress on a new one. It seems to have worked given how he's quieter now, but the amount of times I see his brand name hasn't diminished. But I'm sure there are others who have tried, given up or have been told to be quiet.

I myself have notions of starting a small terrain making business thing. Since I know my time is limited, doing a kickstarter would be foolish for me. I sense however with figures you can "just" cast, kickstarter is the better option - but that's my two cents on the matter.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 09:35:21 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that Crowdfunding is (in part) exactly for cases like yours. cases where a small business, or even one-man gig does not have the means to get their (good?) ideas to the market, so they appeal to the trust and goodwill of their potential customers to up-front the money, so they can make the project happen.

Also, it is a way of recouperating investments in a short time. But always for 'the little man' and not the large companies using the platform(s) as a cheap way to test the waters for new product.

Still; with current digital content, a single person working out of his shed can appear to the outside world as a well respected and well to do company, by using professional communication on their website, Twitter-, Facebook- and Instagram accounts. Using good layout, well worded texts, professional photography etc, as well as advertisements in traditional media such as magazines.

All of the above will greatly enhance your exposure and customer trust, but can backfire something hard when not backed up by making good on pledges, promisses etc.

In order to succeed with the above, you will need (access to?) the appropriate skills in publishing and marketing, and the time to maintain your presence.

As said; it will be hard work, flogging your product everywhere you go/click, but it's the best way of getting word out and grow a business.

Barring that though, there are always the forums and Facebook groups. Focusing on those will get you less exposure, but the audience is potentially already interested in your products. It does not require the (semi)professional efforts to market the product, and the target customers are usually more sympathetic to the small guy trying to get his dream fulfilled. There inherently will be less high expectations too.

I've seen many small KS campaigns being run like that. They were/are often smaller than yours, but they have the same model; a small(er) range of miniatures, that they have already paid for to be produced, but are trying to earn back the investments of.

Usually they succeed, because they target their very niche market directly, and don't set their goals too high. No stretch goals, no outlandish promises or plans, just a good product that appeals to their target customers.

This ensures that even for a one-man show, the workload can be manageable. KISS; 'Keep It Simple, Stupid' applies here in droves. As an example, I give you the escalating Kickstarters by Megacon Games (or Mercs as they were called before). They started a campaign with a very good product; Myth, and it was such a success, it just exploded!

So much so, that they were completely overwhelmed, and very long waiting times, communications disasters and many disgruntled customers ensued. They came across as a middling, trustworthy company, but it turns out it was just three guys in a rented office. And they got complety overwhelmed by the amount of work, which they simply had not anticipated.

So set your goals low and achievable. Don't make yourself out to be bigger/better/more professional than you really are; reality will not meet expectations if you cannot back it up, and it will bite you in the end.

But most of all though; after all of that, don't be afraid to try and fulfill your dream; when done right, it will be enjoyable for everyone, including yourself! :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
There have been a few LAF members who have done kickstarters - Colony 87 and the current Dee Dee Ponz (spelling?) ones to name but two. It may be worth IMing them to see if they're willing to share some tips and tricks.

You could always try a small selection of your miniatures first, rather than the whole range at once. The author of one kickstarter writeup I read regretted offering a "pick 5 from our range" approach, as it made picking and packing a lot slower. Maybe pick a theme and try those ones first.

There are also plenty of companies out there with a very basic website and paypal button links on them, so hopefully you wouldn't have to spend too much to set something up. Shiny and professional is always good, but getting the goods to the person quickly will make them come back for more, and you can always upgrade the site later.

Good luck with whatever approach you take. I keep having notions of trying to sell some things myself, but never have the courage to follow through. :'(

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »
All good advice, I think. I'd also say that your "stretch goals" should be no more than "If we hit x, everyone at backer level y gets a free z mini" and stop there!

Offline sleep when Im lead

• Bookworm
    • http://sleepwhenimlead.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 03:08:26 PM »
I have not done one myself but I have talked to a few people who have. From that, it might be worth trying a smaller KS a first. This will give you a test run and an idea for the market. If it does well, you have more figures to off in another run. If it does badly, you still have more figures to try a completely new idea and then work with the older ones down the line. Don't low ball yourself. You need to make enough money to make it worthwhile.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
I would absolutely speak with Mason. He's run more Kickstarters than the next two LAF members combined.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline pops

• Scientist
    • Wargamers PX
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 08:46:49 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys.  FramFramson, who is Mason?

Thanks,

Frank