Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:28:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empress - 28mm Modern French  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Empress - 28mm Modern French
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:40:58 PM »
At last- Modern French! Hurrah!
http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart91.htm

Been waiting for these for ages and “nicely timed” to coincide with the talk if a European Army! Fingers crossed for some vehicles/AFV’s to go with these!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Empress - 28mm Modern French
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:36:41 PM »
Whilst they aren't as consistent as I'd like with their schedule, another Empress modern release is always a treat. Id assume that infantry are cheaper to manufacturer than the larger vehicle moulds, so that explains the slowness in their vehicle releases (what was their last vehicle before the T-14 Armata? The Gaz Tigr?).

Pity they aren't Russians of course, but not everything can be Russians. ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 12:00:11 AM »
They do look pretty nice. And just in time for the change over from the FAMAS.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:18:54 AM »
Great looking models.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »
Cool, and just in time for PLAN RED REIVER (and Warfare).

Their vehicle production has been very limited, before the Tigr and the T14, their last  vehicle was the PLA T99 (the HLBSCo stuff does not count).

I hope they will do a VBL and an AMX-10 RC, the Jaguar and the Griffin do not look as impressive.

I would still like some suitable German vehicles (besides the Leopard).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
They do look pretty nice. And just in time for the change over from the FAMAS.
As opposed to the Bundeswehr figures.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »
Could still use them the Bundeswehr as Spanish troops.  lol

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 09:38:11 AM »
Could still use them the Bundeswehr as Spanish troops.  lol
Or SCO-19.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 12:41:49 PM »

Their vehicle production has been very limited, before the Tigr and the T14, their last  vehicle was the PLA T99 (the HLBSCo stuff does not count).

I hope they will do a VBL and an AMX-10 RC, the Jaguar and the Griffin do not look as impressive.

Their newer vehicles are high quality, though their older stuff has been superseded by other companies. A pity that their HLBS stuff is 1/48th, as Spectre's new BMP-1 is 1/50th and led to me still using HLBS' range instead of transitioning over to that so the scales don't look off with my existing vehicles.

Vehicle production has to be outsourced to 3D modelers these days, which may be where the difficulty lies. Currently SASM looks like they'd be taking over from Empress in that regard if you're wanting modern vehicles, as they also do a load of European ones (and the quality's much better than it once was). However, European forces may be considered niche, so that may stilt further stuff coming out unless there's a definite market need for some (I've no idea what Empress' sales figures have been with these European lines).

Though yes, oddly even the larger militaries aren't well represent. Which tells you how niche moderns can be. The PLA barely has any models or vehicles (though their is a new Kickstarter for them by another company). Though the Americans and British of course are much better represented (and to an extent the Russians through all the Soviet ranges which are available).

A pity I suppose that 1/72nd took over as the modeller's scale as far as kits go. There's all sorts of obscure stuff available in that scale, though I constantly see gamers in that scale whinging about a lack of infantry, so it may not be as good in that regard (though when looking those size of figures I found tonnes of stuff which you can't get in 28mm so they may be a bit entitled :P).

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:35 PM »
I'm probably not representative, but each '28mm' modern tank that is produced is a wasted production opportunity in my eyes. I might buy multiples of lighter and smaller vehicles, but at 'infantry action' distances a tank is a waste of money and time.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 03:19:36 PM »
And I can certainly agree with that. In my WWII collection half of the vehicles are tanks. In my modern one there's maybe four in total.

I'd much rather have a good model for an MT-LB than a T-80 (which reminds me to buy more MT-LBs...). On the modern battlefield civilian trucks appear more often than APCs, at least in irregular conflicts. And even with those involving mainstream forces IFVs would be more common (make those forces less well funded and improvised APCs take over tank roles).

Which is to say though, if infantry are available, then a decent APC model would be the first port of call. If we're mostly playing skirmish scale games then one of those would provide a decent oomph in firepower, and already be overkill if the enemy lacks sufficient AT capabilities (see the BMP-3).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
Good poimts.

Ranges and points make use of tanks difficult for modern games. I think I have four as well five (T72, T90, T14 and both Empress Challengers).

I would wish for Land Rover equivalent, light APC (Fox Hound), APC (FV432), IFV/ light tank (Scimitar 2, Warrior), Tank (Challenger 2).

I am sure you can come up with the equivalent vehicles for the German and French (and PLA).

Certainly if you do the figures, the addition of a light vehicle to carry them would be good.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:23:11 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 07:15:54 PM »
I suppose the answer is for you all to get together and start your own company?

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »

I would recommend getting the Gasoline/Quarter Kit models of the VBL and the AMX-10RC. Simply superb. They also produce a conversion kit for the VAB that updates it with new wheels, rear stowage basket and the Kongsberg weapons station.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 07:39:42 PM »
I do bother Tim at SASM over potential products every now and then. Though whether any ideas are picked up is more to do if Tim's interested, and if they'll sell.

"More Russians!"  - "Dude, nobody else wants Russian stuff apart from you".  - "Ok, stowage?" -  "...I'll think about it".