Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689676
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A whole lot of Marauder Dwarfs!  (Read 6824 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
A whole lot of Marauder Dwarfs!
« on: November 15, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
Right, time for a new Fantasy project. A few weeks ago I was sent a box full of Marauder Dwarfs. Im not big on Dwarfs (ha!), but I know that these are the prettiest Dwarfs out there. Lovely, lovely sculpts with a lot of "character", the right amount of armour and beard, and .. just look at them! You gotta love'em.

These are to be added to an existing army and thus I not only have the colour scheme set, but also a style I'll have to try to emulate, while making them look pretty in my view as well.  Always tricky.

So I cleaned the little guys and did some dry-fitting with bases. While doing so I realized that I hadn't done this fiddly "do I put this one on a horizontally or diagonally slotted base so he'll rank up with the rest of the unit?" business in quite a while. :D

As you can se we have sizeable units of Hammerers and Spearmen there, as well as a unit of 10 quarrelers, 4 clansmen, 4 Ironbreakers, 3 Kings on foot, Thorgrim and the dynamic duo of Grotek and Felix. The kings are all newer models, but they fit well, because they're the excellent sculpts from one of the more recent releases (including the one that's leaning on his axe handle). They're a bit taller than the Marauder dwarfs and of course are covered in "detail", which makes them more regal looking than the rank and file.

Right, that's that. Over the next weeks I'll paint those chaps, starting right after getting some final detail infos I still need. Hope you'll find this project interesting.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
Re: A whole lot of Marauder Dwarfs!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:19:07 PM »
I look forward to seeing this project develop.

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
Oh can't wait to see this unfold.

Pretty much this army but sold it sadly years ago.  :'( :'(

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »
@warlord frod: Thanks very much; me too! :D

@streetkern: Cheers. Yeah, that's sad. I only ever sold one army, my Tau. Not entirely unhappy about that, to be honest, but as a general rule I very, very, very rarely sell stuff. Which is probably why some day they'll find me buried under a pile of lead. ;)

Right, I did some test figures now:

As I'd mentioned above, these are an addition to an existing army. I got three example figures along with them (the champ, the dude with the cannonball and the crossbow dwarf in this photo), and I did my best to match the colour scheme, style and so on. The dudes in the picture aren't quite done year, but this will be circa what they're supposed to look like. The test minis I did were met with great joy, so I can go ahead on the project now. :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
They look grand  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »
Loving this .
I've all of these figures (painted) and I think at least  ninety unpainted and either six or seven of the great cannons.
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »
Ooh I'll keep an eye on this. The Marauder Dwarves are some of my favourite miniatures ever.

You are right about those Dwarf Lords leaning on weapons that came out a few years ago (ten?). Really nice models in their own right.

Offline tanktastic43

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »
Really looking forward to following this project.

Well done.

tt43.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 06:26:29 PM »
@OSHIROmodels: Ha, I see what you did there. :p

@tin shed gamer: These are some of my favourite GW sculpts as well. Here's a bit of a behind-the-stages tidbit: I got all the guys single-wrapped in bubblewrap with their bases (horizontally slotted or diagonally slotted, so the figure would rank up nicely). I was so taken with unwrapping these lovely sculpts that I just threw the bases on a pile, and lateron had to figure out again which one goes on which base. 90 plus a ton of cannons is impressive. Let me know if you need any help painting them! :)

@Sir_Theo: Oh yes, absolutely my favourite range of Dwarfs. The 15th/16th century influences is SO much prettier and more interesting than just having them canned up in all metal plate (and fantasy stuff at that). That may be easier to sculpt and paint, but these here are just so much nicer I think. Has it been 10 years? Yeah, maybe. Yikes. Especially in the most recent 2 or 3 years the GW release schedules just have my head spinning. :D To be fair, I'm not a big Dwarfs guy (Marauder notwithstanding), so I never quite paid as much attention to their ranges. But yeah, those characters are nice too.

@tanktastic43: Cool, cool. Welcome aboard. :)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
Cheers I tend to use a combination of 40mm squares and 20mm squares.
It's not as impressive as it sounds I was still in the GW loop when they came out.So saying I liked them was enough to have handfuls dumped on my painting table.I've also got the giant to complement them. 
I'm tackling them a bit at the time.Since I've got my dwarves and elves as stalled projects.  Was hoping your thread would motivate me  ;)
My thread didn't Help me decide which to run with the collective just came back with do them both ;D
So snap too it as Im in CBA mode.

Mark.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 09:46:01 PM »
Someone sent you around £1000 of Marauder dwarves? Anyway, they chose well as you paint beautifully.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 02:06:30 AM »
looking good  ;D

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 04:19:33 PM »
@tin shed gamer: Oh yes, I know what that's like. The number of project I'm stalling on... :D Among them several old Dark Elves (even though they're far from the nicest of ranges out there. I just like DE :D ) and of course the Marauder Giant.

@sir_shvantselot: Since I stopped collecting older GW figures about 10 years ago (due to silly prices) I'm not quite sure if prices have gotten THAT silly, but I'll take the compliment. ;)

@warlord frod: Why thank y- ...oh, the minis? Yeah, well, I guess...  :D

Right, here's finally an update on the things I'm actually supposed to do:

20 Dwarf Spearmen. Not quite done yet, but getting there. Hope you like them!

As for the background... well, I'm working on something on the side... ;)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
Looking great.
They look absolutely a home in the setting (and it's a great way to hide the bits you don't want on show  ;. )

I might just borrow that  removable roof snow idea to have more seasonal options for next years pulp campaign.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »
Yeah, well, the bases aren't done yet.. :D I'm currently making removavle snow roofs for my fantasy/late medieval buildings and it's going good so far. I switched to cutting out curvy/wobbly edges now rather than straight edges, which is a much better look.