Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:43:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gladiators beyond the Foyle  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Gladiators beyond the Foyle
« on: November 17, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »

This week I found myself gaming with Lee on the far side of the River Foyle. We started off the evening with a couple of quick introductory gladiator bouts using Blood Swear and Cheers. In the first bout, despite being wounded early on, my thraex managed to get the better of Lee's murmillo, tripped him up, and then delivered a telling blow. The crowd favoured both gladiators equally, and were happy enough to allow the bleeding murmillo to walk out of the arena to entertain them another day.

The second bout saw Lee's dimachaerus take on my sagittarius. The sagittarius is always a tricky gladiator to use; his melee attack is so weak and he doesn't tend to do well going toe-to-toe. The crowd, however, loved watching him slip past the dimachaerus multiple times, popping off shots with his bow from a distance as his opponent lumbered after him, swatting away the arrows with deft parries. In short order, both gladiators were staining the sand red from multiple wound, but in the end  it was Lee's dimachaerus who was more skilled, and the sagittarius was taken down. The crowd enjoyed his antics so much that they were happy for him to carried away to the infirmary - there to be tended back to full health by a decent Greek doctor and a myriad of beautiful Syrian slaves.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gladiators beyond the Foyle
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
Nic,
       Based on reading this, I ordered the rules and the hard copy cards.  I have been searching for a good Gladiator game, and this looks like it might work.  Just have to decide what Gladiators to use.  I am think 54mm Pegasus plastics.

Nick

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the enthusiasm.  :D

The rules are scale agnostic and the exact size of the zones (squares) is not really important, so you can use any sized figures (or just counters it you prefer). I use the same sized zones for 28mm and 15mm gladiators. The zones just need to be big enough to accommodate two gladiators in each. So if you are using 32mm round bases for example, you should have zones that are at least 64mm across.

Hope that helps!

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:42:15 AM »
I too , had,nt seen these rules before, they look interesting used with the cards. I didn’t realise the Romans had reached as far as Stroke City btw , 😎 . One  of my regular playing pals comes from the banks of the Foyle , we,ll be playing the excellent Pax Romana on Tuesday night . Happy gaming .

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
Nic,
      I found that simply doubling the size of your squares works perfectly.

Nick

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
    • http://www.kingsfordminiatures.org
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 04:41:44 AM »
I too am a fan of this fun and easy to play ruleset.  I also agree that increasing the size of the squares makes it feel a bit better though it doesn't impact the rules in any fashion at all.

Shameless plug, Kingsford Miniatures has a few gladiators for sale with full intentions of adding to the range.
Makers of 28mm Samurai!
www.kingsfordminiatures.org

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »
Sturmpioneer,
                     Very nice and very accurate.  But almost $8.00 US per 28mm figure??  Ouch!

Nick