Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:18:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warfare Reading 2018  (Read 1310 times)

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
Warfare Reading 2018
« on: November 17, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »
Just back from Reading
Probably the rudest staff I have ever encountered at a show.
Parking virtually non existent with the surrounding area permit only
After 20 minutes found a space
Entered show to be asked for badge... fair enough but was oi where's your badge the right approach
Bring and buy was usual scrum ..again expected but some boxes of armies were behind the tables and needed to be viewed in a narrow gap...not ideal but the guy trying to look was told that was a stupid place to stand by a young very important guy in a blue show t shirt... not sorry could you move?
I went back to look later when the scrum died down and was reading a note on the armies..Just about to ask if I could see inside when another very important guy in a blueshow tshirt said ..get out the way.. I did and could not be bothered to look
Ripped off at parking meter..No change given..some truly atrocious games.. but traders polite and helpful
No excuse for ignorant staff and self importance
Doubt go again ...No loss to show I know but sad

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Re: Warfare Reading 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »
Next time, come with me buddy

....they tend not to say that sort of shit to a 6ft 3in and 18 stone Welsh Adonis, funny that  ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 05:25:39 PM by Lord Raglan »

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »
I'm only 6 ft 2 and 15 stone
That's where I went wrong

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »
I'm only 6 ft 2 and 15 stone
That's where I went wrong

But are you a Welsh Adonis?

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 06:39:27 PM »
Sounds about right to be fair. I couldn't be bothered going this year after the last few. Worse than Colours even (well the B&B is probably slightly better than Colours, but the rest of it...).

I get that these things aren't trivial to organise and it's a lot of volunteers, but there just seems such apathy towards improvements or providing any fresh air at all really. Not just looking at Warfare either...

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
I thought they had made some really good improvements this year - doors were opened in all the hall to allow air in, and the provision of a quiet room to sit was excellent.

Not experienced much in the way of rude staff at any show - if anything the worst for me was Colours, but that's picky. The B&B at Reading today was, I thought, well managed, with staff being asked to move to where the busy points were.

Parking is definitely an issue, but I can walk a few hundred metres. What I don't get is why Colours and Warfare are just a month apart.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 08:52:07 PM »
I have not been to Colours since it left The Hexagon all those years ago, Warfare has been a bag of mixed offerings but now I am virtually disabled most venues do not make it easy to attend shows

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
We went mega early this year, in what turned out to be a failed attempt, to get a space in the car park. Drove round & round the industrial estate opposite & eventually found a spot.
Got to the show, which had been open only 15 minutes, to be greeted by staff shouting,
"Can you have the correct money ready! We are nearly out of change!" Big surprise as the entrance
fee was £6.00 An amount almost guaranteed to require change, lots of it.
Having been in car for a while first port of call were the toilets...'Out of order' choice of going back out to the sports centre, or using the very small ones in the competition games hall.
Bring & Buy was already very crowded, Tried to get a look at what was there, gave up after
10 fruitless minutes.
The traders were friendly, helpful & nice, though I did overhear a few conversations about feeling
unloved by the organisers.
I have loads of respect for anyone who gives up their spare time to run a show, but PLEASE:-
Do something about the parking;
If you set the entrance fee at £6.oo  Get lots of change ready, or do what some countries do where change is in short supply, give something else e.g. lucky bags of figures (a large club
should have no problem culling members' lead mountains/MDF hills etc);
The Bring & Buy needs a major  overhaul. More table space at the very least. Move the traders
out, let the punters see what there is, and
Be nice to the traders, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be back.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:40:58 PM »
What I don't get is why Colours and Warfare are just a month apart.

To be fair, more like two months; colours mid-September, Warfare mid-November. Still quite close, nevertheless....

Dou

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 06:10:52 AM »
We park in the industrial estate by default now. It doesn't seem to be patrolled on a Sunday.

I thought that the games hall was very messy. It was hard to get around the games to get a look at them, and by early Sunday afternoon there were stray chairs all over the place - and like someone else said, some not very inspiring games!

It did seem quieter than other years, but some of the traders I spoke to said that the Saturday had been a bit livelier. There were a good range of traders there and I came away with two (large) unexpected purchases in a 15mm sci-fi army from Ground Zero Games and a Mk1 Transit and some scooter riders from Crooked Dice (for a project that we're calling 'Gaslands 1969'). My planned purchase was some beastmen and a stone giant from Conquest Games.