Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:30:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Asian Ghoul ?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Asian Ghoul ?
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:59:10 PM »
Hi - I wonder if anyone can help. I bought this from CP Models I think and it was described as an Asian Ghoul.
Ghouls apparently originated in the near east rather than the far east, anyway I've been searching to try and find some information about a demon or ghoul who looks anything like this, so I can incorporate it into an Asian flavoured horror story and am coming up with nothing that looks like this.

Does anyone have any ideas what he might represent?

I know I could make him anything I wanted but would like to try and be a bit authentic.
Any thoughts?

Cheers

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Asian Ghoul ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 11:10:18 PM »
There's an Indian (dubbed sadly) series on Netflix called 'Ghoul' - maybe that has some background that might be useful.

This might be useful as well, it has some stuff about Arabian 'Ghuls' from which the word originates - https://horrorpedia.com/2015/01/09/ghoul-folklore/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:12:23 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 11:50:05 PM »
That's excellent stuff Cubs - Thanks.

"When faced with such a foe, the only way of escape was to kill the ghul with one blow; a second or more would resurrect it from the dead."

A quote from your site that's going in the creatures background rules.

Cheers

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
That's interesting because that crops up in the Mabinogion (a collection of Welsh medieval legends) too. Pwyll, the Prince of Dyfed swaps places with Arawn, the Lord of Annwn (the Otherworld) and fights a duel for him. His opponent is Arawn's enemy Hafgan, who can only be killed with a single blow. As he lies mortally wounded following the combat, Hafgan begs Pwyll to finish him off with another blow, but Pwyll has been warned that a second blow will restore Hafgan to health. He doesn't fall for it and Hafgan dies. I wonder if there's some sort of tie-in there with Hafgan being a magical otherworldly creature and all.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »
Maybe there is or maybe there's just nothing new and the Welsh got there before the Arabian Nights. lol