Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Airplanes for the Pulp Era - Help?  (Read 5231 times)

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
Re: Airplanes for the Pulp Era - Help?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »
As far as I am aware, the "odd" scales often found with older kits are called "box-scales". Manufacturers were less concerned about sticking to the "usual" scales so models look right next to each other, but rather saw to it that they could cut costs by using same size moulds and boxes for as many models as possible. Especially older ship kits have really odd scales and you're hard-pressed to find two of the same scale in the 1984 Revell catalogue (whish was the first I ever bought, so i still treasure it).

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 06:45:44 PM »
 There is a Tri-Motor in 1/48 by AJP Maquettes. it's lovely but you are paying for the privilege - it's 130 Euros...

ajp-maquettes.com/Dossier Anglais/Lignes anglais/AJP-Collection Lignes - FORD Trimoteur - anglais.htm

Offline Burnt65

• Scientist
    • KEGS gaming site

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
There is a Tri-Motor in 1/48 by AJP Maquettes. it's lovely but you are paying for the privilege - it's 130 Euros...

ajp-maquettes.com/Dossier Anglais/Lignes anglais/AJP-Collection Lignes - FORD Trimoteur - anglais.htm
Oh yes, it's magnificent.

1:48th just ends up looking far too large, though. At least on my table. I had a couple models and ended up selling or trading them away.

Same for cars. I ended up using a mix of odd boxed-scale models, rebuilt models, and cars which were in very odd sizes in real life (but actually look normal on the tabletop). Of course there's way more diecast cars than planes, and they're cheaper. 

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 06:27:56 PM »
Sinewgrab,  I sent you a PM.  I have a Beech model 18 that I want to sell.  It is a diecast coin bank, roughly 1/43rd scale.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 12:25:40 PM »
I've always loved the look of the  Heinkel He-70, it being just such a distinctly looking thirties plane. You either love it or hate it; there seems to be no middle ground...

It was used by the Condor Legion in Spain, the Luftwaffe, but there were also civilian versions. It had the same wing shape as the later He-111, and could be regarded as a bit of a test bed for that bomber.

Its performance in Spain was adequate, but it was found that when it was hit, flying a plane with a magnesium airframe was not the best of choices, and many went down like a virtual supernova... ::)

Still; despite all that, I really love the design, and I was super stoked when AZ-models came out with one in 1/48. Too bad though that around that time, my pulp campaign ended, and I no longer needed it. But I should eventually get one...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:27:12 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 01:17:13 AM »
Well, I ended up with a couple diecast banks.  Some may think they are large, but I am fine with them, especially with my mix of figures.

If I find more, I may actually end up with more.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »
Love your choice of diecast airplanes and the paint schemes you picked. Those should be easy to modify without a full repaint of the whole airplane. The Lockheed Air Express is especially Pulpy due to the combination of the modern (for 1929) Vega fuselage with the retro elements of parasol wing and exposed pilot position.

I'm with you on the size. I understand the contrary perspective of Fram and The Virtual Armchair General. But given the height and bulk of modern "heroic" 28mm, the added height from the bases, and the wide availability of 1/43 scale cars, I think these bigger airplanes usually look fine.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 02:26:27 AM »
I'm glad you found what you wanted, but a response would have been appreciated.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 03:26:02 AM »
Love your choice of diecast airplanes and the paint schemes you picked. Those should be easy to modify without a full repaint of the whole airplane. The Lockheed Air Express is especially Pulpy due to the combination of the modern (for 1929) Vega fuselage with the retro elements of parasol wing and exposed pilot position.

I'm with you on the size. I understand the contrary perspective of Fram and The Virtual Armchair General. But given the height and bulk of modern "heroic" 28mm, the added height from the bases, and the wide availability of 1/43 scale cars, I think these bigger airplanes usually look fine.
I think 1:48 aircraft can look fine next to figures, but they end up dominating all the table space, and also tend to look out of scale with any buildings I have (which are - like those of most wargamers - are somewhat undersized so you can fit enough on a table). Cars may or may not conflict, depending on what scale you use (my scale is horribly imprecise on cars, but to use the two most common sources, mine are a little bigger than Lledo but smaller than most Matchbox).

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 04:19:38 AM »
I'm glad you found what you wanted, but a response would have been appreciated.

I sent my email to you via PM - I'll try the other way.

But really, it all about what you want to see, when all is done.  I am still used to 4'x6' tables as normal, so a 3x3 really confuses me sometimes.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 11:05:11 PM »
If your out to use vehicles then the bigger table is really useful to get a good car chase going.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 11:56:08 PM »
If your out to use vehicles then the bigger table is really useful to get a good car chase going.
Alternately there's the scrolling scenery/static cars option.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »
Oh thats far too much effort for me. lol
Setting up once, and putting away once . is more than enough(moving one car is just so much more civilized. ;D)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2018, 08:58:38 PM »
Alternately there's the scrolling scenery/static cars option.

You mean like this;)