Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:39:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Airplanes for the Pulp Era - Help?  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Airplanes for the Pulp Era - Help?
« on: November 18, 2018, 04:22:55 PM »
So, I have the Tri-Motor kit that works fairly well, but I was trying to find another good passenger airplane for the pulp era to expand my collection - just in case I am ever running the same scenario in two places at the same time - but I have found that any threads on the subject on here are  seemingly 5-10 years old, so not as easy to track down as otherwise.  Any suggestions, old chaps?

Oh, 28mm, by the by.

These are what I have at the moment.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Airplanes for the Pulp Era - Help?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »
That doesn't seem to be the coin bank Trimotor, but nor does it seem to be 1:48... where did you find that?

As for other options, check out the huge pulp planes thread here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=58045.0

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »
Sinewgrab, you must have missed the "Pulp Plane Library" thread. It's on page 2 of this list. It's 47 pages of posts, with the last post being on October 6, 2018 (as of this moment). I've posted a few there, mostly single engine planes that can carry 4 to 8 people, including the pilots. That's a great size to carry a single Pulp Alley league.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »
It is a 1/67 (? or something like that - it was a ridiculous where did they come up with that size scale on the box) scale plastic kit.

Pulp plane library?  Perfect.  I used the search engine and put "airplane" in the box and specified the Pulp thread.   >:(

Time for a quick root around.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 09:02:37 PM »
Yep, that does it.  Thank you for the heads up, Warren.

Now to go decide which one of the planes I found on ebay I want to go with.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 11:13:42 PM »
It is a 1/67 (? or something like that - it was a ridiculous where did they come up with that size scale on the box) scale plastic kit.

Pulp plane library?  Perfect.  I used the search engine and put "airplane" in the box and specified the Pulp thread.   >:(

Time for a quick root around.
Where did you get it? Brand, etc?

I didn't think this existed despite looking for one for ages, so I am DEFINITELY interested.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 01:26:30 AM »
Revell, maybe?  I have had it for years.  I think Dave Phipps has one that he has shown off as well.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 03:26:53 AM »
Revell, maybe?  I have had it for years.  I think Dave Phipps has one that he has shown off as well.

Dave has the die-cast Ertl coin bank, I'm pretty sure.

A quick search shows the Revell kit is 1:77... but the coin bank is the Wings of Texaco 1:72, I think? I briefly owned one (due to a misshipment funny enough! I didn't actually buy one!) and I know the coin bank version looks far too small next to the miniatures I'm using. But the one in your photo looks, if not perfect, then larger at least. Very bizarre!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:31:27 AM by FramFramson »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 03:47:15 AM »
1/77 is probably right.  I have always felt it was a touch small, but it works well enough.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 05:49:34 AM »
How odd. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo that makes it look bigger to me.

In any case, I got the Buehl  Whirlwind a while ago, so I have a transport plane anyway, ha.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 09:02:57 AM »
I know there's a fair few 1/72 versions floating on EBay. Often mused on turning one into the single engine bush /cargo plane.
  This is fast becoming your great white whale Matt. ;D

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 11:35:36 AM »
I have a Monogram one which is still waiting to be built so no idea what it looks like next to a 28mm mini but it's 1/77.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »
I know there's a fair few 1/72 versions floating on EBay. Often mused on turning one into the single engine bush /cargo plane.
  This is fast becoming your great white whale Matt. ;D

Nah. As I said, I actually had one of the Ertl ones in hand and stood minis next to it. Didn't work at all with my big fellows.

1:66-ish is what works for me. It's the perfect scale where it doesn't look too large when compared to cars or buildings, or too small when compared to figures. At least for me.

If there ever WAS a Trimotor in 1:67, I would probably get it but I don't need it to game with. I've got the Buhl for a 20's model, and for a super-fancy ultra-modern plane, I have a 1:65th He 111, to eventually be converted to passenger service, owned by a company founded by a dashing Hughes-esque inventor/industrialist/magnate/adventurer.

What I should REALLY be doing is finishing my Nazis, doing up my railroad, and painting a certain motorbike scout. But this is one of those times when minis seem to be on the backburner compared to other projects.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:44:58 PM by FramFramson »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 08:19:38 PM »
and for a super-fancy ultra-modern plane, I have a 1:65th He 111, to eventually be converted to passenger service, owned by a company founded by a dashing Hughes-esque inventor/industrialist/magnate/adventurer.

That sounds like a great project. Looking forward to seeing it. Who makes the 1/65 Heinkel?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 10:35:19 PM »
That sounds like a great project. Looking forward to seeing it. Who makes the 1/65 Heinkel?

It's an old Lindberg kit (actually I was off by one - it's 1/64). Will be great as a "license-built" version - there were in fact civilian versions of the 111, as part of the disguised Luftwaffe rebuilding programme, but in real life only Luft Hansa had any (I think). I adore these few "greenhouse"-nose planes (DeHaviland had a few too)... they're so very distinctive of the interwar era.

It's a bit hard to find, as it's a very old kit (like 40-50 years... bloody thing might be older 'n I am!). I was able to pick up a cheap one a while back though.

EDIT: A bit of research turned up that it's been in production since '55, but the box I have (which is a slightly improved version of the older kit) dates to 1986.

I believe Lindberg made a few other planes in the same odd-duck scale, mostly similarly mid-sized twin-engine planes from WWII, but there's a couple of fighters too (though those are quite rare).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:51:15 PM by FramFramson »