Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:43:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Elizabethan breeches  (Read 1263 times)

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
Elizabethan breeches
« on: November 19, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »
The Foundry Sea Dogs and Swashbucklers range has figures with breeches which are *not* tied at the knee.

Is that just a seadog fashion, or would lower-class landlubbers venture abroad like that? I'm looking for contemporary corroboration.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Elizabethan breeches
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »
It was originally a Dutch naval fashion and they were called sloppes. A forerunner of bell bottoms https://goo.gl/images/3vQBjT
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:32:41 PM by Lowtardog »

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »
Thanks for that suggestion which would make them a naval garment. However, I'm wondering now if they are (or could be taken to be) 'galligaskins' which were worn by the lower classes, not just at sea. They were tied below the knee but much baggier than breeches.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »
Thanks for that suggestion which would make them a naval garment. However, I'm wondering now if they are (or could be taken to be) 'galligaskins' which were worn by the lower classes, not just at sea. They were tied below the knee but much baggier than breeches.

I think they could be, what I did with mine was paint the lower legs as if wearing stockings (where the model wears shoes)

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:19:55 AM »
I think they could be, what I did with mine was paint the lower legs as if wearing stockings (where the model wears shoes)

I think that will be the way to go. I'm interested in doing some Reiver forces for 'Pikeman's Lament' using the Hoka Hey/Timeline miniatures and am planning a garrison force of pike and shot and Reivers of various classes. There would be well-armed and armoured family members (Forlorn Hope, Aggressive), less well-armed retainers (Clansmen) and armed servants (Clubmen). I think the Foundry figures would feed into these groups very well.