Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:18:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Feral Lands  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
The Feral Lands
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:59:38 AM »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:28:12 AM by Schrumpfkopf »
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: The Feral Lands
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
Briliant stuff!  :-*
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 06:36:50 PM »
Lovely collection of figures. Really good to see an original take on one of the fantasy staples.

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 11:34:18 PM »
Fantastic

Very very tempted...

Offline Loop

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 12:41:10 AM »
Message for Kawe.

I was really excited when you first started showing the initial sculpts but I haven’t backed the Kickstarter because of the timing. I saw from the KS comments that you were a little disappointed that this one took so long to fund and I didn’t want you to feel disheartened or that there was little interest in the range; I’m sure there are other folks like myself that can’t afford to back a KS this close to Christmas.

Hopefully, as you have said, fulfilment should be quicker and the elves will be available in the webstore that much sooner.

Can you say anymore about the Lone Wolf sculpt you previewed earlier? I think you mentioned a Gary Chalk artbook somewhere? I would be very interested as that’s why I backed the Lone Wolf board game though sadly the artbook was never realised (never played the game either to be honest but the pieces do look lovely).

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 03:56:21 AM »
Message for Kawe.

I was really excited when you first started showing the initial sculpts but I haven’t backed the Kickstarter because of the timing. I saw from the KS comments that you were a little disappointed that this one took so long to fund and I didn’t want you to feel disheartened or that there was little interest in the range; I’m sure there are other folks like myself that can’t afford to back a KS this close to Christmas.

Hopefully, as you have said, fulfilment should be quicker and the elves will be available in the webstore that much sooner.

Can you say anymore about the Lone Wolf sculpt you previewed earlier? I think you mentioned a Gary Chalk artbook somewhere? I would be very interested as that’s why I backed the Lone Wolf board game though sadly the artbook was never realised (never played the game either to be honest but the pieces do look lovely).

Yeah, no worries - I figured that there was a couple of other factors amongst the timing. Competition at KS and through existing ranges, and apparently even some things that a few have perceived as 'cultural appropriation'. 
Either way - I have made enough to go full steam into production and churn the parcels out and start looking at the upcoming stuff.

And yes, we're planning an art-book with Gary Chalk for 2019. Certain scenes, of such illustrations that Gary holds the rights on, will be done as miniatures.
Mostly little vignettes, but also a few Giak regiments and Sommerlund infantry too.

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 05:32:09 AM »
'cultural appropriation'

A cudgel wielded by the narrow-minded and perpetually offended to censor the creativity of others. Never submit to it, never apologise.

Otherwise a lovely looking range, definitely one I'll pick up later to paint in blue warpaint and run ambushes against my Arthurian-esque warbands.
Your sculpts just get better and better, they remind me of the clean smoothness and deliberate shapes of Mark Copplestone's work. I can think of no higher praise when it comes to pushing putty.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
A cudgel wielded by the narrow-minded and perpetually offended to censor the creativity of others. Never submit to it, never apologise.

Never consider the implications of what you're doing, never consider other people, never admit when you're wrong, always double down. And if anyone treats you the same way scream bloody murder. lol

Cultural Appropriation is a neutral term. Concerns can be valid depending on context; though in this case unless they were expressed in German or a private message I didn't see any. -shrug-

As for the figures themselves, nicely sculpted. However I feel like a mix of native american and celtic design has a lot of potential, and I don't think the styles are hybridized enough on these. Not sure what else to do to them off the top of my head, and while I might use some in the future, the design kinda leaves me cold.

Also feel like there's alot of monster/spirit mixes that would be better than buffalo minotaurs, but then again I don't really like minotaurs outside of it's original context. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:54:38 AM by wolfgangbrooks »
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »
Such beauties!
But I must resist (bangsheadtowall)...  must resist
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
Not too keen on the name 'Feral' Elves when their inspired by Native Americans and Celts. Maybe 'Plains' Elves or 'Tribal' elves ?

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »

I try to not be an arse, but if I happen to act like one without realising, and people let me know, then I do something about it. I don't really think it applies in the case of my KS, but it's worth being aware of this phenomenon IMO.

...though in this case unless they were expressed in German or a private message I didn't see any. -shrug-

I was approached by a friend who works in the industry, and he told me that various folks in his circles have mentioned that they would have expected more of a display of respect for 1st nation people since some bits of their garb made it into the range. The only public bit of feedback that brings that up is a one liner on BOW. Again - I don't think it applies here after reading on the phenomenon.

As for the figures themselves, nicely sculpted. However I feel like a mix of native american and celtic design has a lot of potential, and I don't think the styles are hybridized enough on these. Not sure what else to do to them off the top of my head, and while I might use some in the future, the design kinda leaves me cold.
Thanks for your feedback - It breaks my heart if people don't like my kids, but I appreciate that there are as many opinions as there are people!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:01:23 PM by Schrumpfkopf »

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »
I absolutely love the bison minotaurs and I like the Celt/Pict/Huron elves (and honestly I don't see any lack of respect in them). The bisons certainly are on my wishlist but something for next year.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 08:19:54 PM »
Think they are all stunning 👍

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 10:51:06 PM »
Lone wolf giaks you say? Gary Chalk art book and miniatures, it’s like all my dreams come true! :-* :-*

FFF
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:59:32 PM by Fates Fickle Finger »

Offline Orchomeno

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 06:41:54 AM »
If you're worried about cultural appropriation you're going to end up with a very small lead mountain.

Can you appropriate in the theatre of the mind? What if you imagine the feathers, who should you report to for reindoctrination?

I think the issue here though wasn't snwflakes, it was proximity to Xmas,  CAD making prices look steep and the absence of low level pledge that included a bisotaur with some troops.