Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686550
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New German Hussars  (Read 5596 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New German Hussars
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
I really like the (uncovered) heads. Would these be useful also for the wars 1864-71?

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »
I think that in the wars of 1864, 1866 und 1870 their headgear was higher and a little bigger. Similar to the pickelhaube. Both became smaller and more practicable over time.
Hmmm, pickelhaube ...practicable ?  ;)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »
Hussars in a skirmish pose would be useful in the first place. Dismounted as an outpost or scout. The only thing that bothers me is the attacking pose.
Think that there were no noteworthy cavalry attacks in the First World War.

Battle of Haelen, Mons and Galicia/Gnila Lipa had cavalry actions that come to mind.
With the carbine arms they can also be set up as scouting force on the hurry.

Dismounted Hussars will be next.

Update: Hopefully the busbys in full cover will also be released along with the new sculpts.

I really like the (uncovered) heads. Would these be useful also for the wars 1864-71?

I don't think they covered up the colorful cloth flap like this version in those years.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:26:55 PM by Gribb »

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 11:59:51 AM »
And here is a photo of hussars with the full cap cover - the Totenkopf (skull and crossbones) was only worn by the Leib-Husaren regiments:

Robert

just to say that 17 hussars (Brunswick) also wore the Totenkopf

both Leibhusaren regiments fought at Halen in 1914 where the German cavalry lost badly against the Belgian cavalry 

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 01:39:01 PM »
Thanks cdr.

Robert

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »
Thanks for all the useful input in this thread, its been really helpful.

The carbine arms are going to be sculpted soon. 2 variants are being planned and here are some of the suggestions we thought of so far:

What do you think? Would love to hear Your input before Steve starts sculpting them.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:58:30 AM by Gribb »

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
I agree with picture 2 and 4. Picture 1 gave me too much cowboy style ;). The firing of a rifle in full gallop was certainly not standard, right? ???
Thanks Gripp for listing the battles. I would have expected on the eastern front with larger cavalry attacks. That's why I like this forum. :)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »
Thanks for the input. 2 and 4 do seem like good options.
Firing in gallop probably did probably not happen as a rule but maybe :D If doing scouting and coming along the enemy you won't always get the time to dismount. And thouch certainly more effective than lance or sword to harass the opposing side when charging if not that accurate ;D

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 06:17:01 PM »
Historically, the carbine was not fired from the mounted position. It was designed for dismounted use, so holding it ready to dismount would be more accurate (but less impressive on table ;-). In the event that contact was made during scouting, either the troop would back off or would charge with lance or sword, depending on how close the terrain was. The options depended on whether it was important to preserve operational secrecy or not. There were occasions when a troop or troopers would dismount and engage with carbines when scouting.

Robert

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 08:54:07 PM »
@monk2002uk: Thanks for the information. Well, I think even the pose holding the carbine ready makes looks good too :)

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Husaren holding carbines ready to dismount will look very good. Just not as good as riding and firing :-)

Robert

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »
I fully agree with Monk.  Very doubtful that firing from the saddle was done often enough to devote a figure pose to it !

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 10:40:30 PM »
I agree, it will be most senible to keep the carbine at the ready to dismount and return fire.

I have discussed with Steve if we should mainly stick to sword and lance variants.
And add the carbine arms as a accessory pack later if there is demand for it.
Like how many would like to see carbine arms to this pose? Or would it be too obscure?

Look forward to hear Your opinions. Much appreciated.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 07:48:37 AM »
It would actually be great if all weapons were seperate with a hand cast on the weapon. The angle of the weapons could then be altered giving a much more vivid impression on the tabletop  ;)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
@Traveller

That would be fiddly, but would indeed bring a lot of variation for sure :D

On carbine  arms: Most likely these will be disregarded at least for the time being. Maybe added later as a conversion pack. And the Hussars will be launched with the sword and lance variants.
And rather aim for dismounted Hussars armed with carbines since all cavalry did fire on foot not mounted.

As good as it may have looked it seem the right way to go.