Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:20:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Global Implications of VBCW?  (Read 7887 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Global Implications of VBCW?
« on: November 22, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »
I have been amazed by this phenomenon of VBCW. Seems as if there's quite a crowd of daft British nutters afflicted by SCW envy. Reading in an effort to discover the source of the phenomenon I come across references to the 1995 movie Richard III, which ties this interwar alt-history to the War of the Roses. (Need to watch that one.) I wonder if there has ever been a more widely successful imagi-nation or alt-history in the world of miniature wargaming.

One thing that puzzles me, however, is the lack of reference to the global scale of a war that would impact the entire global British Empire. Dominions could take care of themselves. But what would happen in Jamaica, Gibraltar, Malta, Nigeria, Egypt, Palestine, East Africa, India, Ceylon, Burma, Malaya, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.?

Would some of these be seized by other nations in the power vacuum created by a civil war in Britain in the 1930's? Would some go independent? Would others collapse into local civil wars? Would some of these places send forces to fight in Britain? Would the USA intervene if, for example, Japan grabbed Hong Kong and Singapore?

And what happens to Britain's Royal Navy? Does it divide into factions and sink itself? Does it fight to retain Britain's colonies? Does it get sold off to pay for the civil war or get mothballed due to the economic collapse? And what happens to Britain's massive merchant marine?

The global implications of VBCW are mind boggling!
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: Global Implications of VBCW?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »
I think that Germany would possibly put aside any invasion plans for Europe and focus on trying to influence a fascist Britain to form as a vital ally for a later invasion.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
Parts of The Empire are covered in this book
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=5524

I really like the VBCW setting, you could let your imagination run riot with the forces involved.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 09:13:45 PM »
Ah, that booklet is a good indication that there has been some consideration of the global implications of a VBCW. I can imagine a major civil war taking place in India. Also can imagine a brigade of Nigerian troops landing in England.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:53:31 PM »
There was quite a lot of discussion at the time the project was kicked off and a series of sourcebooks were developed. It was a fun light hearted and collaborative project and I wrote some of the early background material for part of Scotland. I seem to recall side projects kicked off in Australia, Canada and Norway! It was a great little project with some lovely folk involved. (My own take evolved to be a good deal darker before I moved onto other things!)

Have a root about here and on the web. Solway Crafts and Miniatures (still) publish the material and there used to be a forum as well.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 07:26:09 AM »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »
Like the Emir, I was involved in the first run of sourcebooks. The idea was not to get too detailed, but to create outlines that players would fill in themselves. If a situation for a civil war didn't actually exist within parts of the Empire, one could be created by the player.

In a wargamer's view of the universe strange things happen, not least to history itself. Surprisingly perhaps, historical wargamers also don't typically have a grasp of history, or in some cases actually go to great lengths to avoid any. In such an environment it is possible to make almost anything happen and seem likely.

An example is the then-ongoing Arab Revolt in Palestine, which was a major drain on the British Army in the UK, with the potential to unite the entire Middle East against Britain. It is mostly kicked to the curb in VBCW World.

Instead rather than a situation where there weren't enough troops available to police the Mandate, a scratch force is available to form the core of "Wynd-Grator's Gideon Force", which is promptly expanded by units from the ME and India.

The BUF is another thing VBCW shaped to fill a need. There wasn't even a BUF in 1937, it was just the 'British Union'. Mosley was just a talking head trotted out by the media, who lacked any actual political power; a '30s Farage if you like. Once the Public Order Act of 1936 banned political uniforms, the 'spectacle' the BUF had relied on was gone.

The idea of a "King's Party" and an "Anglican League" is far more valid, but you might as well just call them Royalists and Parliamentarians, albeit Edward VIII represented the 'new' in this case.

Short answer for the Empire, not much would happen. Indian and other nationalists might get feisty, but when civil wars erupt in the 'home country', colonies et al very quickly go one way or the other with little upset; they already have their own power structures and rivalries. Actual British influence is slight and hard to enforce; look to Rhodesia and its UDI.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »
I think broadly speaking the major 'sides' might send small volunteer forces t shift the balance, whether one end of the spectrum or the other, having the resources and especially navy of Britain on side is a game changer.

I would imagine the navy would realise this and parts would work with the offer that suits them.

Offline draxx66

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 05:57:09 PM »
Well we up here in sunny Shetland have been in it from the beginning, I wrote the background for the Shetland setting and also run a Horn of Africa game or two. People here find the game fun, quirky  and a nice change to the more usual options at the club.

I was impressed by the amount of research a lot of people did into their local areas when this all kicked off and it's still active after what is now a decade, or is it nine years it's been going, getting old I forget things now lol.

One of the newer members is talking about starting in on the situation in Belgium.

With the launch of warlords cruel seas, there might even be some small scale navel actions around our wonderful bunch of islands.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
It doesn't really matter about might've, could've and all that. Any reasoning for the hows and whys of whatever you choose to add to, or do in, your scenario, is going to be infinitely more reasoned and sensible than martial morris men, cricket pads as defensive armour... or even that Edward VIII's refusal to reconsider his forthcoming marriage to 'that woman' could really spark a civil war.

There are no limits and certainly real history does at times do the ridiculous. I wouldn't over-think things and just get stuck in. As mental exercises go it's good fun too; I also looked at Belgium and its potential to cause a war between France and Britain.

:)

In a real comparison however, the Spanish Civil War didn't erupt overnight, it took near enough ten years for it to come to a boil and the left and right had been gunning-down each other in the streets since 1930. The military coup of 1936 was supposed to stop all that and restore common (and traditionalist) sense.

Foreign powers unloaded all their old surplus arms and equipment and worn out tanks, in return for, or the promise of, Spanish gold, yet still paid lip-service to international opinion and the Non-Intervention Committee.

Only the 'Emperor of the Med', cast adrift from the League of Nations, actually sent a formal military body there and even then had to excuse them as just 'enthusiastic volunteers'... they also all signed-up with the Spanish Foreign Legion (as did the Condor Legion) when they got off the boat, thus becoming actual 'Spanish' soldiers in the eyes of the law. Internationalists on the other hand risked arrest by the French for attempting to cross into Spain illegally and quite often were arrested in Spain for actually doing so and having no papers.

All things to consider before you boot volunteers and your best kit onto a boat and then send them off to a sovereign country at war.   

;)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
I would think that some of the colonial territories would use the "distraction" as an opportunity to break free.  Most likely contenders for wars of liberation would be India and the territories comprising Iraq, Jordan and Palestine.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »
It doesn't really matter about might've, could've and all that. Any reasoning for the hows and whys of whatever you choose to add to, or do in, your scenario, is going to be infinitely more reasoned and sensible than martial morris men, cricket pads as defensive armour... or even that Edward VIII's refusal to reconsider his forthcoming marriage to 'that woman' could really spark a civil war.

There are no limits and certainly real history does at times do the ridiculous. I wouldn't over-think things and just get stuck in. As mental exercises go it's good fun too; I also looked at Belgium and its potential to cause a war between France and Britain.

:)

In a real comparison however, the Spanish Civil War didn't erupt overnight, it took near enough ten years for it to come to a boil and the left and right had been gunning-down each other in the streets since 1930. The military coup of 1936 was supposed to stop all that and restore common (and traditionalist) sense.

Foreign powers unloaded all their old surplus arms and equipment and worn out tanks, in return for, or the promise of, Spanish gold, yet still paid lip-service to international opinion and the Non-Intervention Committee.

Only the 'Emperor of the Med', cast adrift from the League of Nations, actually sent a formal military body there and even then had to excuse them as just 'enthusiastic volunteers'... they also all signed-up with the Spanish Foreign Legion (as did the Condor Legion) when they got off the boat, thus becoming actual 'Spanish' soldiers in the eyes of the law. Internationalists on the other hand risked arrest by the French for attempting to cross into Spain illegally and quite often were arrested in Spain for actually doing so and having no papers.

All things to consider before you boot volunteers and your best kit onto a boat and then send them off to a sovereign country at war.   

;)
I might add that the combination of nostalgia and ridiculousness of VBCW is precisely what has led to it's becoming "the most successful imagi-nation or alt-history in the world of miniature wargaming".

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 08:27:59 PM »
What surprises me is that I've not come across any American game that applies this rule set to America. I would have thought this would be an Ideal 'what if 'template given you have the Mine Wars as a starting point.

Mark.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »
What surprises me is that I've not come across any American game that applies this rule set to America. I would have thought this would be an Ideal 'what if 'template given you have the Mine Wars as a starting point.

Mark.
There was a Kickstarter a couple of years ago called 1933: A Nation Divided, which was essentially the 2nd ACW 1933-1939 but it failed to take off.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 10:25:31 PM »
I might add that the combination of nostalgia and ridiculousness of VBCW is precisely what has led to it's becoming "the most successful imagi-nation or alt-history in the world of miniature wargaming".

I think you'll find 'Sea Lion' holds that position.