Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:12:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scratchbuilt 28mm Union Monitor  (Read 1616 times)

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
Scratchbuilt 28mm Union Monitor
« on: November 15, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »
I just couldn't help myself. I went ahead and built a counter to the Confederate casement Ironclad that I built last week.  The step-by-step is below. Other such acts of madness can be found on my blog at https://antonswargame.blogspot.com/p/adventures-in-blue-board-and-foamcore.html

Oops! I did it again....Ship Happens Part VII
when will I ever learn....

the source of all the trouble, blueboard

In a move that was sure to set back my already tardy painting schedule I decided to make another ironclad; a monitor this time, to oppose the Confederate casement ironclad. Having not yet shipped out the promised models (apologies to all who asked for one) I copied the monitor model and set to work. This has proved to be another deceptively simple design that requires a stunning number of rivets.

the hull was cut from blueboard and given a final sanding to even-off the curves

then I started gluing cardstock to it

pretty soon I had the whole model covered in "iron" plates

next was rivets, zillions of rivets, the all-iron deck doesn't help with the rivet count at all

but, I have to confess, I love all that rivety-goodness

monitor guns barely protrude at all, but they are massive so I needed a large bore,
I made them by wrapping card around a bit of dowel

these were unceremoniously thrust into rectangular slots cut into the turret face

another "look-check" before I glued things in place

just needs paint now

the large bright yellow areas were where I had messed up a rivet and had to
 wipe it away before it dried; I just wish I could get yellow paint to cover so well

I changed my mind and decided that the turret needed to be further forward

just like selling a house; a fresh coat of paint makes everything look better

profile view

the monitor was joined by the other distraction

now that I have these done I might just get back to my Lace Wars cavalry project

This little aside has dragged me a fair distance off the beaten path; I don't game ACW in 28mm (I don't game it in 15mm either, I mooch off of my buddy Tom who has a massive collection) so these models have no real application at all. Now I have to decide to either give/sell/trade them away or to enter the Vault and find my boxes of Perry Brothers ACW plastics..............

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:18:40 PM by anton ryzbak »

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
Re: Scratchbuilt 28mm Union Monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
Great work...lovely little ships....:)

Cheers,
Don