Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:06:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thatched Roofs  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
Thatched Roofs
« on: November 23, 2018, 08:36:22 PM »
A simple "how to do" for thatched roofs, using sisal rope available in garden shops. This will not cover the painting, but only realisation. This is a messy, boring and long work. The wonderful roof made in this tutorial is purposed for Burrows and Badgers, and so will have a loony aspect.

Materials used: pliers (a lot), white glue, sisal rope.

You can use a cardboard roof for faster work, or make a wood carpentry. The number of layers will depend on the space between the beams. The more beams on the carpentry, the more thatch layers.

First, cut ropes longer than your layer. Add glue on an end.

Press the glued end between your fingers and make it flat. You now have plenty of glue on your fingers. Messy, I said.

Put the glued end of the rope into the pliers. Then prepare another rope, then another etc. until all your pliers are used.

The glued rope don't need to be dry, but only settled. Take one, trim it if needed and add glue on it...

And one glued on the beam (sound of applause on the background).

Result of a two hours of slow work. I know you can do this faster than me. Glue a layer on a side, then on the other side. It's best if the glue is dry before adding the second layer.

Allow to dry overnight when completed. Then apply a generous coat of diluted white glue to "fix" the yearns.
The roof is now ready for the paint, but I don't need to tell you how, as you already know how to paint.  :D

Cheers

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
Re: Thatched Roofs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:48:59 PM »
Really cool and looks great.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 08:38:55 AM »
I agree- very nicely done.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:21:43 AM »
Great tutorial!

I would personally thatch the roof thicker and denser but it looks good as it is.