Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:42:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685053
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 57938 times)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2018, 01:23:47 PM »
I'd be interested in picking this one up for a try. AoS didn't it for me, LotR combat system is too simple, Otherworld I've still not had time to get onto, Mordheims too small in model count, Dragon Rampant wasn't enamoured with and Frostgrave too much on the wizards so a pass.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
My thoughts too...though I do tend to prefer to get into games rather than rulesets. I'd be tempted to try these rules with Celtos minis as that game seems to be dead...though they do claim to still be slowly working towards a mass battle game...no idea why.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »
My thoughts too...though I do tend to prefer to get into games rather than rulesets. ...

That's interesting. I'm not sure if I understand that correctly. Do you mean you prefer to get into a whole "rules and minis to go along with them" rather than using different sets of rules for your existing collection? But that would contradict your later Celtos statement, so I'm not sure I got that right.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2018, 04:25:15 PM »
:D There is a contradiction. Normally I just go in for whole game systems as you say but I love my ancestral Celtic myths and am very disappointed that there isn't a game to scratch that itch.

Celtos should really do the trick but Brigade have done nothing with the rules in the years they have owned the game which is very disappointing. I liked the look of Antares rules but certain elements in the lore, force selection and some of the minis are turn offs but the idea of using the Fantares rules with the Celtos minis does have an appeal.

Hope that kinda clears it up :D

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
Agree with that. I like the general Antares rules engine, so having that in a large fantasy warband option is very useable. It’ll be in the WFB old world for me though! :)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 04:40:42 PM »
Right, got you now. :D Yeah, I heard of this breed of gamer. It's not for me, since I got all the things already, and most "original" sci-fi/fantasy settings I read annoy the heck out of me by trying to be different ("Get off my lawn, new things!"), so these days I prefer rules sets to keep a minimum distance of 200 base widths from any figures range and keep it generic. ;)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2018, 06:47:32 PM »
Normally I just go in for whole game systems as you say but I love my ancestral Celtic myths and am very disappointed that there isn't a game to scratch that itch.

Have you tried Lucid Eye's 'Red Book of the Elf King'? It's meant to be based around the Celtic (specifically Irish) legends, but although I've painted a couple of the figures I haven't played the game.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »
Agree with that. I like the general Antares rules engine, so having that in a large fantasy warband option is very useable. It’ll be in the WFB old world for me though! :)

Good plan sir. I haven't owned a WH Fantasy army for years as I was waiting for GW to update the basic High Elf troopers...guess I'm still waiting :D

Right, got you now. :D Yeah, I heard of this breed of gamer. It's not for me, since I got all the things already, and most "original" sci-fi/fantasy settings I read annoy the heck out of me by trying to be different ("Get off my lawn, new things!"), so these days I prefer rules sets to keep a minimum distance of 200 base widths from any figures range and keep it generic. ;)

:D I know what you mean...their does seem to be some who flock to anything different but to be honest I've seen very few rulesets that can beat the basic logical steps from classic GW. I can definitley see the appeal of a generic set of rules but without a framework of races etc it all feels a bit whishy-washy...I blame my Aspie nature in this regard as I crave order and pre-definied factions supported by fluff that generates a feel for the force in my head and in the head of my opponents. I guess generic lacks this framework and so leaves me somewhat muddled. No idea if that makes sense.

Have you tried Lucid Eye's 'Red Book of the Elf King'? It's meant to be based around the Celtic (specifically Irish) legends, but although I've painted a couple of the figures I haven't played the game.

It did catch my eye but on further inspection does nothing for me. Seems a little loosely based on Gaelic myth with a visual dash of Asterix. Plus the idea that all armies are exactly the same number of minis seems very odd to me.

I think my growing disillusionment with rules systems has been made worse since I've started playing around with writing my own...doh! I guess you can't put the genie back in the bottle :D

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2018, 08:05:50 PM »
I’ll just whatever minis I have and what I fancy - no point being tied down, and it’s not as if the Old World can’t accommodate a variety of forces!

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2018, 09:53:37 PM »
Update - New Info.

Base style is irrelevant. Squares or rounds both work.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »
Update - New Info.

Base style is irrelevant. Squares or rounds both work.

God bless them.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2018, 09:06:32 PM »
Good plan sir. I haven't owned a WH Fantasy army for years as I was waiting for GW to update the basic High Elf troopers...guess I'm still waiting :D

:D I know what you mean...their does seem to be some who flock to anything different but to be honest I've seen very few rulesets that can beat the basic logical steps from classic GW. I can definitley see the appeal of a generic set of rules but without a framework of races etc it all feels a bit whishy-washy...I blame my Aspie nature in this regard as I crave order and pre-definied factions supported by fluff that generates a feel for the force in my head and in the head of my opponents. I guess generic lacks this framework and so leaves me somewhat muddled. No idea if that makes sense.

It did catch my eye but on further inspection does nothing for me. Seems a little loosely based on Gaelic myth with a visual dash of Asterix. Plus the idea that all armies are exactly the same number of minis seems very odd to me.

I think my growing disillusionment with rules systems has been made worse since I've started playing around with writing my own...doh! I guess you can't put the genie back in the bottle :D
Have you seen oakbound studios the woods game? Not really looked at it myself but they have some not fimir to go with it.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2018, 01:43:05 AM »

Also, "Erin" from Alternate Armies: https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/erin-game-of-celtic-myths

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2018, 04:07:23 AM »
Have you seen oakbound studios the woods game? Not really looked at it myself but they have some not fimir to go with it.
Link? I can't seem to find them with my googlefu!

Offline Orchomeno

• Assistant