Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:52:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 672
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58030 times)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »
Fairly standard, as expected

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2019, 08:05:33 AM »
Combat..

Interesting as in Antares, the close combat is very random if you don't have lots of odds stacked (pins, better weapons etc.), in which case it's very much like mopping up of those battered units. It also almost always ends to complete destruction of the losing side in a single turn, which can be pretty annoying when you have two evenly matched full strength units battling against each other, as it often results to a coinflip of which of them is destroyed. Interesting to see how it works in a game that has close combat focus instead of shooting focus (or at least should have). I have a bad feeling that it will cause some issues.

On the other hand I like Gates of Antares as a game very much, so I'm sure I'll get the rules anyways and play them. I have a good collection of generic fantasy armies, so it's fun to have a variation of rules to choose from. Though I have a feeling, that Fantasy Saga will be the number one set released this year.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:21:29 AM by jamopower »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2019, 08:37:27 AM »
Not convinced about the "down" action in a melee oriented system. In a firearm system, sure, keep your head down and stay in cover, but this sounds a bit like matching the rules to the dice instead of redesigning better suited dice faces. It might become a "shieldwall" or "close ranks" type action, which makes more sense.  ???

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »
10 days...
Magic
Yes ... Magic!

ALL warbands have access to a wizard and you can only field one. They are powerful characters thanks to their magic, but they are still mortals and that is why they are often accompanied by a group of apprentices and also other creatures such as spirits, devils, fairies, nymphs and other to protect them.

Each mage knows 1 spell (free in points) and can acquire as much as he wishes for a point cost.

Casting the spell is relatively simple and you can do it at the conclusion of any action that the mage and his unit undertake, however, the mage must not make use of a shooting weapon, be down or charge.

There is a risk that the spell goes wrong and there is a table indicating what happens. Yes your magician could turn into a useless and invulnerable frog for a turn or two.

Spells all have a significant effect on the battle and your wizard's level boost this effect, even those who seem more ordinary should not be ignored.
Fiery Balls, the easiest spell, (yes I know, it must be uncomfortable) throws a few flaming projectiles, you can well imagine that the trolls are not very fan, but moreover the ignited attacks inflicts 2 pins instead of one and that is rather rare.

There are 14 spells for the moment, two of them are restricted to necromancers and undead wizards (yes you can bring back troops in a LIMITED way, because at the scale of the game it could be catastrophic otherwise.).

There are also some magic weapons to equip your heroes and commanders, but the real magical power really lies in your wizard.

Also, note that the wizard is the only one who can protect you from your opponent's evil spells.

Spell back-firing and turning a wizard into an invulnerable frog...yes please! :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »
Again all sounds pretty much as expected, which is a good thing. I'm going necromancy, so some interesting info for that side of things.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2019, 06:32:12 PM »
Warlord have just announced they'll be stocking all the Frostgrave and Oathmark plastics to make it easier to start a Erehwon force.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2019, 06:43:48 PM »
That move makes sense. I'm currently building an Elven warband from the Oathmark plastics, you can quite a good solid force from one box though I suspect for a full warband you'd need 2 boxes plus.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:39 PM »
8 Days before the release!

Let's talk about the characters.

You have the Warlord, the leader of your warband who is a remarkable fighter and who brings the "Command" rule and often the "Follow" rule. They are often accompanied by bodyguards. Only the undead have a leader who can cast spells.

The wizard brings magical abilities and can be accompanied by apprentices and creatures to enhance his abilities. You can also increase his magic level to make his spells more potent. The undead have no wizard, their role is filled by the warlord.

The hero is always alone and frequently has the rule "Hero" which grants his high value in initiative to the units around him. Heroes are still very capable fighters and are often even stronger than the warlord.

Some faction can mount the hero in a chariot and it becomes a really terrible piece for your opponent.

These three characters are the only sources for the three skills "Follow, Command and Hero". In addition, these are the only three models that can be equipped with a magic weapon.

Do not underestimate these three models, because good management of your commander will be decisive in most battles and the presence of a hero could allow your force to seize ambush opportunities.

Finally, do not deprive yourself of a wizard, because the magic is powerful and he will protect your troops against it.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
Today we are 7 days before D DAY!

I will tell you a little bit about scenery.

We have covered a lot of topics until today and now it's time to talk a bit about battlegrounds and how they affect the fighting.
First, we have the terrain areas.

They are best represented when using a base to outline their borders and some removable elements that will not interfere with the placement of your troops while keeping an interesting and immersive visual appearance for your games.

From a mechanical point of view, assigning the hits to each model individually avoids any dispute about the unit being in cover or not. Those who touch it have a bonus and others do not.

It's always a good idea to define the terrain effect with your opponent before starting the game, but the book contains a nice set of examples.

The FB page shows off some photo examples.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 08:14:37 PM by Lost Egg »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2019, 10:18:18 PM »
So Warlord confirmed today that the page on FB is a fan page.

Why they would be releasing preview material to be reposted in such a sloppy fashion is beyond me but the lack of any official previews makes me think that Warlord are holding their nose and releasing this.

Saga Fantasy is coming out and I think I will be saving my money for those rules

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2019, 12:33:55 AM »
"Saga Fantasy is coming out and I think I will be saving my money for those rules"

I think those won't be that good, either.

And I don't say that because of my project (see my signature) but because all the Battleboards released to this point for the second edition are a bit... dull.
And when saying "a bit" I mean "very".

I don't know, they seem to be playing it too safe... probably because of fears they can't get the balancing right if they don't... but all those new boards are missing the flavor the first edition boards had.

Those boards from the first edition were all soooo different, some of them altering the way the game worked...
each felt unique and like you had to make an effort to understand and learn to use them

but the new boards are all like:
"get 3 defence dice"
"get 3 attack dice"
"get a + 1 bonus on your rolls"
"enemy gets - 1 on his rolls"

Seriously, where's the creativity in them?! And the challenge?!

It is one of the main reasons I dislike the second edition and keep playing the first.

(the other reasons are the changes to the movement - why, why oh god, would you do that to a SKIRMISH game?!
and the changes that buffed Levies and made Warriors worse... feels like there's no longer enough distinction between those troop types)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:35:54 AM by Barbarus »
Fanmade and completely free fantasy rules for SAGA:
www.a-fantastic-saga.com

11 factions!
Undead, Dwarves, Barbarians, Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Troglodytes, Archaeans, Goblins, Empire, Beastmen

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2019, 07:11:02 AM »
So Warlord confirmed today that the page on FB is a fan page.

Why they would be releasing preview material to be reposted in such a sloppy fashion is beyond me but the lack of any official previews makes me think that Warlord are holding their nose and releasing this.

Saga Fantasy is coming out and I think I will be saving my money for those rules

Ahh...that kinds makes sense how the errors snuck through then. From the comments I had guessed it was the playtesters posting.

That is a bit of an odd choice for Warlord and if makes me think even more that they don't see this as taking off...more of a pandering to Rick and the Fantasy-interested Antares-Bolt Action players. I'd liked to be proved wrong though.

SAGA holds no interest for me, I've tried a couple of times to get into it but the whole Battle Board mechanic is too gamey for my tastes.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »
"Saga Fantasy is coming out and I think I will be saving my money for those rules"

I think those won't be that good, either.

And I don't say that because of my project (see my signature) but because all the Battleboards released to this point for the second edition are a bit... dull.
And when saying "a bit" I mean "very".

I don't know, they seem to be playing it too safe... probably because of fears they can't get the balancing right if they don't... but all those new boards are missing the flavor the first edition boards had.

Those boards from the first edition were all soooo different, some of them altering the way the game worked...
each felt unique and like you had to make an effort to understand and learn to use them

but the new boards are all like:
"get 3 defence dice"
"get 3 attack dice"
"get a + 1 bonus on your rolls"
"enemy gets - 1 on his rolls"

Seriously, where's the creativity in them?! And the challenge?!

It is one of the main reasons I dislike the second edition and keep playing the first.

(the other reasons are the changes to the movement - why, why oh god, would you do that to a SKIRMISH game?!
and the changes that buffed Levies and made Warriors worse... feels like there's no longer enough distinction between those troop types)

They changed it to appease the Tournament crowd since Saga is heavily played at a Tournament level

Warlord have also put their 1000pt army boxes up on sale, theirs an undead and orc one each with a unique metal miniature. Theyve also got a 1000pt Barbarian collection made from their Hail Caesar range.

Heres the two new metal models in those army boxes, interestingly the Undead one is a ringer for Jack Gwillim as King Aeetes in Jason and the Argonauts.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
All 3 army deals are just kinda cobbled together from what they have though with a single sculpt each for the Orc & Undead.

Part of me thinks its a shame they aren't doing a range of minis but part of me likes the idea.

Either way I have the Forgotten World plastics coming in May so I am gunna have a couple of warbands on top of my Oathmark Elves.

Offline Randell

• Bookworm
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »
Warlord have just announced they'll be stocking all the Frostgrave and Oathmark plastics to make it easier to start a Erehwon force.

Well they are literally next door to each other in the same industrial estate in Lenton so shouldn't be difficult to arrange  lol