Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark human comparison?  (Read 7799 times)

Offline Ashokmarine1

• Student
Oathmark human comparison?
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »
Does anyone have a Oathmark human comparison with other minis? In particular lotr minis? I have seen the other races but can’t seem to find anything on the humans. Thanks in advance.

Ashok
Indus miniatures

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Oathmark human comparison?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
I don't have any examples on had right now, but I do know that the GW LotR miniatures are decidedly smaller than the fantasy standard that is 28mm heroic. And since that's the scale of the Oathmark miniatures, which in turn are fully compatible with Frostgrave miniatures and GW WHFB ones, the scale difference would be obvious.

However; I'd like to point out that the Fireforge historical miniatures are walking a sort of middle ground between more realistically proportioned 28mm ranges such as those of the Perry's and heroic 28mm, and are often compatible with both, with a bit of creativity. So their Oathmark humans might well fall into the same category.

But regardless of this, they will always be noticeably larger and bulkier than the LotR range humans.

This was intentional I believe, as the LotR IP holders did not want their miniatures to (easily) mix with those of other ranges. So they chose a slightly different scale to make sure no WHFB Black Orks would find themselves integrated into the armies of Mordor, or that Bretonnian Knights would ride alongside those from Dol Amroth...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »
There are some Oathmark humans in my Game of Thrones thread. I might be able to take some comparisons later today.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »

This was intentional I believe, as the LotR IP holders did not want their miniatures to (easily) mix with those of other ranges. So they chose a slightly different scale to make sure no WHFB Black Orks would find themselves integrated into the armies of Mordor, or that Bretonnian Knights would ride alongside those from Dol Amroth...

You have to wonder if this was because it was GW they were dealing with. Possibly it would not have been the case if a lesser known company (or at least one without the huge back catalogue of suitable fantasy miniatures) had been involved.
I love the true 25mm scale and proportions of the early NewLine managed figures.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »
Maybe my eye is different from Daeothar's, but I wouldn't put Frostgrave and Oathmark as fully compatible with GW. GW WHFB are noticeably larger still.

I find Oathmark, Frostgrave, Perry and Fireforge mix well for the most part. Frostgrave and Oathmark does have slightly more heroic proportions, with larger weapons, hand and heads, but not as over the top as Warhammer. They are all a hair larger then GW LotR, but you can work with those ranges.

Anyway, comparison. Perry Agincout, LotR, Oathmark human, LotR, and Claymore Castings. I use all of these ranges in my Game of Thrones project.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
I don't have any examples on had right now, but I do know that the GW LotR miniatures are decidedly smaller than the fantasy standard that is 28mm heroic. And since that's the scale of the Oathmark miniatures, which in turn are fully compatible with Frostgrave miniatures and GW WHFB ones, the scale difference would be obvious.

However; I'd like to point out that the Fireforge historical miniatures are walking a sort of middle ground between more realistically proportioned 28mm ranges such as those of the Perry's and heroic 28mm, and are often compatible with both, with a bit of creativity. So their Oathmark humans might well fall into the same category.

But regardless of this, they will always be noticeably larger and bulkier than the LotR range humans.

I read somewhere that the GW LOTR miniatures were scaled to fit the Harlequin line (the previous holders of the license). No idea if there is any truth in that.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 12:05:24 AM »
@Ogrob: Thanks for that comparison.  I can kinda see it is the case but I want to just make sure that their bases are all approximately the same height.  The up angle and the basing material on the Oathmark figure make it a bit difficult to see exactly where the feet are.

If so, the Oathmark figures fit in with everything there to my eyes.  I am thinking about picking up some to use for Rangers of Shadow Deep.  The Elves and Goblins are decent figures and much improved from the Frostgrave sets, in my opinion.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »
@Ogrob: Thanks for that comparison.  I can kinda see it is the case but I want to just make sure that their bases are all approximately the same height.  The up angle and the basing material on the Oathmark figure make it a bit difficult to see exactly where the feet are.

If so, the Oathmark figures fit in with everything there to my eyes.  I am thinking about picking up some to use for Rangers of Shadow Deep.  The Elves and Goblins are decent figures and much improved from the Frostgrave sets, in my opinion.

The Oathmark figure is if anything a milimeter shorter then the Gondor Captain. That said, they have very thick and almost cartoonish weapons. I accidentaly grabbed one where I have swapped the spear for a thinner one. They might look out of place next to slim figures like the Rohan infantry.

Offline Ashokmarine1

• Student
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 03:13:24 AM »
Thanks everyone. Not too far off. The thing is the later GW cast are 28 mm while the original release were 25 mm. A lot scale creep within the whole range.