Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:37:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A new dawn - 15mm it is!  (Read 1482 times)

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
A new dawn - 15mm it is!
« on: November 27, 2018, 01:25:06 AM »
Been a while since I last posted, life and all that.

During that time I have finally accepted the reality that the effort required to turn my lead mountain range into glorious multi-hued legions, simply doesn't fit within the time-span I have left on this planet. Lets face it, with my anal-retentive tendencies and the sheer bulk of miniatures, several lifetimes wouldn't cut it!

So, I've decided to give 15mm a go. I already have a significant collection of historicals, mainly 6th century types (Byzantines, Huns, Goths etc ..) which can be used as proxies as I grow my forces.

As the main aim here is to be more productive, I got some sample figures together to test painting times and techniques and here are the results:

The goblins are Ral Partha and the dwarfs are Alternative Armies. I love the Ral stuff, if anyone has any surplus to requirements please let me know ...

The goblin weapons were broken off so I've replaced them with ones 'forged' from brass wire. This of course, is where my glorious plans of world domination by sheer force of numbers may come a-cropper, as I can't stand wobbly 'telephone pole' weapons and have to replace them, slowing deployment somewhat. But they look sooo much better ...  ;D

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson
"There is a pleasure sure In being mad which none but madmen know."

~John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, 1681

Offline madzerker

• Bookworm
Re: A new dawn - 15mm it is!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 02:28:59 AM »
Very nice army! I love the way it looks. I was thinking of using 15mm for rank and flank mass battle games, and even bought all of the copplestone barbarians to try it but I have yet to paint a 15mm guy :)

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 03:14:30 AM »
Very nice army! I love the way it looks. I was thinking of using 15mm for rank and flank mass battle games, and even bought all of the copplestone barbarians to try it but I have yet to paint a 15mm guy :)

Thanks but I can't take the credit for painting them all I did was the bases, the credit goes to the master Dave Couper who did them for me 30 years ago. Almost every one of the 1000 odd miniatures has had the weapon replaced and most modified in some way from the original!

Right now they have all been removed from their bases pending the arrival of new 80mm wide 'impetus' sized metal bases.

Give the 15mm a go, I have found them much easier to paint as I'm not getting hung up on detail and my standard techniques are really suited to the scale. And for me at least the main thing is actually completing something before I run out of 'puff'.

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 09:25:39 AM by jthomlin »

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »
Joe,

Great start, I love 15mm fantasy mass battle!!  I have thousands of them, unfortunately only hundreds painted lol.

I am also going to base and rebase my armies on the Impvtus scheme.  I have done this with my 15mm ancients and love it but it is a massive undertaking.....one day it wil be completed....one day!!!!!  lol

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »
Joe,

Great start, I love 15mm fantasy mass battle!!  I have thousands of them, unfortunately only hundreds painted lol.

Thanks, same problem with my 28's thousands and thousands of the bu&&%#$, so far I only have a few hundred 15's so nowhere near the problem .... yet!  ;D

I am also going to base and rebase my armies on the Impvtus scheme.  I have done this with my 15mm ancients and love it but it is a massive undertaking.....one day it wil be completed....one day!!!!!  lol

It just makes more sense to me, the standard 40mm system just encourages 'fiddling', be it rules or simply putting down or packing up the troops. With the 'impetus' bases you are handling only about a third the number on average (1/2 cav and lights, 1/4 infantry).

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson