Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:33:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great ''Your Dudes'' Debate  (Read 4275 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: The Great ''Your Dudes'' Debate
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 07:13:55 AM »
Ernie Roam, the extremely butch motorcycle cop, whose sartorial taste is let down by an obsession with the colour brown?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »
Ernie Roam, the extremely butch motorcycle cop, whose sartorial taste is let down by an obsession with the colour brown?

Whats wrong with brown? Geoff Randall wore shades of it exclusively, but manages to pull a dollybird every third episode.

You think I'm joking. I'm not - watch and take count. He even manages to sort Miss Russia out with nothing more than tea, a winning smile and light brown crimplene clothing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:21:41 PM by Kitsune »

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »
I think he parody name idea is good, and I know what was meant about the earlier comment by Battle Brush Sigur about refusing to use old soldiers/peoples photo...it would feel off to me too.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
BOTH:

I was Marlborough in a refight of the 1704 storming of the Schellenberg in Bavaria. The GM egged me on (I'm normally cautious) to attach Marlborough to a battalion attacking a Franco-Bavarian defended wall. Naturally, Marlborough was seriously wounded! The crowd of players howled! Of course, this would have potentially disastrous consequences for the campaign of Blenheim and the whole War of Spanish Succession. That impact on the moment in our gaming group would have been far less impressive or memorable with a fictional leader.

Another scenario that would have had less impact was one I read about on LAF about the assassination of Trotsky in Mexico. Would the scenario have been as good if it was about the assassination of "Comrade X"? Maybe.

One genre I play is Pulp. People purposely play games with Indiana Jones,  Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, Tin Tin, Conan, Scooby Doo, etc. But then again we sometimes play with figures sculpted to represent a Pulp or historical figure, but renamed to be a character of our own or someone else's creation. For example, I might use an Indiana Jones figure to represent "Tennessee Taylor." Or I might use a Tarzan figure to represent George of the Jungle.

The sculptors, for reasons of trademark, may need to sculpt "not X" figures. One can name them in one's own game after the trademarked character, or create one's own character, depending on desired backstory.

I'm on the lookout for specific figures for historical characters in the SCW. But other characters will be made up.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:56:40 PM by warrenpeace »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 10:53:19 PM »
I usually rename the Character or make up my own, and only use historical persons in rescue/capture/kill/meet up with games.

Of course if I am playing a historical refight then yes the commanders names will be the same, but the battle is played by myself warts and all.
 :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 11:17:46 PM »
I'm on the lookout for specific figures for historical characters in the SCW. But other characters will be made up.

Except for Hemmingway and Orwell, I'm not aware of any. The same is true of WWII though; apart from the more famous generals and Churchill with Tommy Gun, it's a barren field.

I have no use for them myself and would rather see a wider selection of ordinary troops to be honest. The earlier example of having Laurel and Hardy as mortar crew was a good one for limited utility, if you need more than one mortar you end up doubling the L+H element of your army. It's not the only ill-thought out pack make up in the Empress stable either. Convenient for them, but costly for the customer.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
omg Warlord plz buff.

That's what I keep e-mailling them every day, but they just won't listen!  ;D

IF one wants to find historical figures to base their games on, it's usually no problem, especially in the 20th century. There are so many well recorded biographies out there, especially for the Spanish Civil War.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 09:53:59 PM »
Except for Hemmingway and Orwell, I'm not aware of any. The same is true of WWII though; apart from the more famous generals and Churchill with Tommy Gun, it's a barren field.

I have no use for them myself and would rather see a wider selection of ordinary troops to be honest. The earlier example of having Laurel and Hardy as mortar crew was a good one for limited utility, if you need more than one mortar you end up doubling the L+H element of your army. It's not the only ill-thought out pack make up in the Empress stable either. Convenient for them, but costly for the customer.
Stoessi's Heroes has quite a lot of WWII personalities, both real and fictional (for instance, you can get a certain Stalag Kommandant and his Sergeant ADC).

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 01:51:25 AM »
I know nothing.  ;)

*Edit - There's a collection of characters in the WI "Giants in Miniature" range too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:24:36 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 12:39:49 PM »
This is a very interesting topic.

For most I like to use real historical people but in scenarios or battles I have come up with. At least from ancient times and up to napoleonics I think.

But for WWII and beyond I only use made up characters. It somehow feels more respectfull.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 05:04:31 PM »
*Edit - There's a collection of characters in the WI "Giants in Miniature" range too.

Whatever could have possibly given you that idea?  ;) lol

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 01:37:59 AM »
I felt a great disturbance in the Force.  ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 06:11:04 AM »
I felt a great disturbance in the Force.  ;)

Well, Christmas is coming up. No wonder you felt their presents.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 10:00:29 AM »
For me it‘s a bit of both depending on the game, szenario and period.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 03:58:11 AM »
Re specific personalities for SCW:

Except for Hemmingway and Orwell, I'm not aware of any.

I've got two Pulp Figures that should work great for Aalto & Goff, 2 of the 3 guys who led the Republican special operation to blow the Nationalist bridge before the Republican attack on Teruel. Those will be for a pulp scale game though, not for a big battle.