Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Allies on the Frontier - new FIW coming from Galloping Major  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Allies on the Frontier - new FIW coming from Galloping Major
« on: November 27, 2018, 02:11:21 PM »
"Allies on the Frontier" will be the title to watch out for with our next Kickstarter for our French & Indian War range, comprising additions to the Anglo-American forces.

Before I started work on any of the La Marine I already had quite a lot of new sculpts finished and under way, but as these were for the Anglo-American forces, who already heavily outnumbered our French, I decided to hold them back until after the La Marine.

Starting with a combination (or choice of) 3 packs of Stockbridge Mohican (Mahican) warriors, and 3 packs of Rangers/Backwoods Militia. There will also be another new special character: my take on Captain Jacob Cheeksaunkun of the Stockbridge Mohicans, for the duration of the Kickstarter only he will come free with certain combinations of packs.

If we reach a stretch goal on this one, that will release new packs of Provincials, including soldiers in long coats as well as soldiers in short coats and cut down narrow-brimmed hats.

I hope to set this one going in just a few days, if it is successful, the plan is to follow it up fairly promptly with another Kickstarter of French regulars: fusiliers and grenadiers, as part of moving the range on at an increased pace.

Two Stockbridge Mohicans

The Stockbridge Mohicans were descended from Housatonic and Mahican Indians who settled at Reverend John Sergeant's mission and school at Stockbridge, western Massachusetts, established in the 1730s. They were one of the more "assimilated tribes" wearing much European-style clothing and living in towns of board houses, many attending church and school.

From the beginning of the French & Indian War they served in warrior bands, but also within provincial regiments and ranger companies. Captain Jacob Cheeksaunkun raised a company of 45 "Stockbridges" with Lieutenant Jacob Naunauphtaunk and Ensign Soloman Uhauamvaumut.

The Stockbridge Mohicans' day-to-day Europeanised appearance was considered to be less intimidating to the enemy, and, in common with the Mohegans of Connecticut, they were ordered to revert to their traditional Indian wear for war. They were issued muskets, powder horns and bullet bags, shirts and blankets; they wore centre-seam leggings and moccasins. In ranger companies they were issued the same equipment as their fellow rangers. Hair styles varied from a simple scalp-lock to worn long. The strips of red cloth tied around the barrels of their muskets were an expedient to avoid incidents of "friendly fire". Piercing appears not to have been much in evidence, if at all, paint and tattooing were not common.

Two Rangers/Backwoods Militia

here will be three packs of Rangers/Backwoods Militia in this release, intended to either create new units or to for you to mix in with other packs. They can be painted in ranger uniform or more civilian style colour combinations for frontiersmen, militia and non-uniformed ranger companies. Shown are two of the soldiers from two of these packs; the man in the darker brown coat could take the field as a militiaman in his daily clothing, although I intend to use him as a member of Major Israel Putnam's Connecticut Rangers, who are described as wearing brown coats and green waistcoats.

There will be a greater variety of dress in these packs, and of headwear, including flopped tricorns and cut down hats; the third pack will be of Rangers/Backwoods Militia in shirts.

My take on Captain Jacob Cheeksaunkun, dressed in the same style as his men, distinguished as an officer by his silver gorget and proudly sporting his presentation red ostrich plume.

For a better look at the pictures above, go to:

http://www.gallopingmajorwargames.com/page9.htm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:14:22 PM by Galloping Major »

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Allies on the Frontier - new FIW coming from Galloping Major
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »
Looking forward to the release - the "Backwoods Milita" look great.

RMZ

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
More lovely figures for my collection, Especially the Stockbridge Indians. I'm doomed! lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:04:22 PM »
How will we justify the need for these figures?  It is all beyond that.  I am looking forward to production.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:31:53 PM »
Figs look good. Time to dust off my partially painted FIW...

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:28:30 AM »
A better view of those Stockbridge Mohicans  :)

Cheers,
Lance

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »
And duly backed! :D

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
Thanks Mate  :D

I see you got in before I got here - which was my first stop after adding it to the website ;-)

Lance

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »
I'm trying to resist, but my Rangers really need support  ;D
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
Beautiful sculpts as always but a bit samey with previous releases. Would love to see you put your sculpting knife to highlanders or light bobs at some point.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 06:36:40 AM »
More excellence comes galloping out of the stables, adore the Stockbridge Mohicans and esp. Jacob Cheeksaunkun not least because the few portrayals of him are very subdued so to see him "in action" is a thrill.  8)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »
Thanks Gents  8)
We went past the first goal within 12 hours of launching the Kickstarter, which was brilliant; continuing to build on that. I'll be adding stretch goals for those who want them in a day or so  :D

Axabrax: "samey"  :P I'm hoping to introduce Highlanders and Light Infantry next year (fingers crossed)  :)

Cheers,
Lance

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
I'm in too (bit late to the party ...)

RMZ